1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I rented a Prius and a HCH; here are my reviews of both

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Potential Buyer, Aug 14, 2005.

1. kkister1492

kkister1492 New Member

I don't understand the complaint about having a foot on the brake to start the car. Most cars require you to depress the brake in order to shift out of 'Park' anyway.

When I rented a non-Prius last week, I kept forgetting that on some one might need to pump the gas pedal before starting and went right to the foot-on-brake position. The car started right up and I could shift and take off. But I did realize that I was not quite doing it right. So, anyway, it shouldn't be a big deal in a Prius to depress the brake to start the car.

2. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

It's obvious why cars require you to apply the brake when shifting out of Park, including the Prius, but I didn't understand why you had to apply the brake simply to turn the car on. It's not intuitive.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know but when I first started driving, I just automatically placed my foot on the brake before starting the car. No one told me to do so, I just did it subconsciously. Makes sense to me.

4. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Applying the parking brake first makes starting the car, for the purpose of driving, a SIMPLE one-button-push process. Can't get more intuitive than that. Otherwise, you'd have to push the power button three times to start the car for the purpose of driving. That would become an annoying routine.

Furthermore, imagine the danger of a single button push alone starting the car, whether it is inadvertent by the operator, or unattended passengers etc. Even my lawnmower requires a previous action to allow a start to occur when pulling the rope!

Likewise, if driving is not the immediate intent, don't push the brake, and a SIMPLE one-button-push allows radio listening. If subsequently driving is intended, step on the brake and, once again, a single button push accomplished that.

I also find shutting it down to be sweet and simple. Stop, push P, push Power, push on parking brake....Done. No reaching here and there, No pushing levers, twisting keys, or pulling levers.

The simplisity of never having to fumble for a key/fob to gain entry, fumble and manipulate one for starting, nor fumble and juggle one with other items (books, bags, briefcase, groceries, kids hands, etc.) to exit and lock is quite a nice liberation from the normal search, fumble, juggle routine accepted with other ordinary cars today.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Nustrike... forgot about the glove box light

6. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Potential Buyer,

Obviously you'd be happier driving a car other than the Prius. Toyota will survive and so will our egos.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, what's odd is that I've observed two separate Prius drivers in my area on separate occasions. In both cases, they used the fob to unlock the car. This puzzles me. They were both women (one had a small child ~2 or 3 years). Do they not know about SKS? I highly doubt it since they both bought it from the same dealer as me. I thought they'd be prime examples for SKS users as they can leave it in the purse and attend to the kid. Weird.

8. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius\";p=\"116925)</div>
    Did you verify they have SKS? Also, were they trying to open the driver's side rear door? Since there is no door unlock contact for the rear doors, the default options for opening the rear driver door are open driver door, unlock all using door button OR double-unlock using the FOB remote. You could unlock the passenger rear door by touching the passenger door, but maybe they forgot simply b/c they weren't 100% situationally aware.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep. Only the base model has no SKS here in Canada. Otherwise, it's loaded with everything except nav/bluetooth like mine or fully loaded (equivalent of your #6/#9) without HID.

The first had 3 ladies and the car was parked by the curb. I just assumed (like what I do), that she could've just press the rear hatch once to unlock all doors.

The one with the kid could've just use the passenger side SKS to unlock all doors. The baby seat was in the middle anyway.

10. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius\";p=\"116913)</div>
    That makes me think about the overall reaction to his review. Let's face it, some people are not going to like everything about the car. People come from different auto backgrounds and do different comparisons, that doesn't make a person's experience wrong.

11. Potential Buyer

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(micheal\";p=\"117022)</div>
    That makes me think about the overall reaction to his review. Let's face it, some people are not going to like everything about the car. People come from different auto backgrounds and do different comparisons, that doesn't make a person's experience wrong.
    [/b][/quote]
    Tell me about it. I really don't understand why some people felt personally insulted by my very positive but not 100% positive review of the Prius. Regardless of what some people may think, no car ever built was completely perfect. IsrAmeriPrius seems to think I'm trying to insult the community here, despite having been a part of the community for six months.

I drove the Prius, I was not 100% happy.
    I drove the HCH, I was not 100% happy.
    I am even less happy with my current car.
    I've been even less happy when any other car I've driven.

That doesn't mean I'm trying to insult the entire human population that drives cars.

12. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Not at all. I have lived long enough to know that different drivers have varied tastes, preferences and priorities which were developed due to coming from different backgrounds and experiences.

My "ego" comment was directed at those members of the PriusChat community who worship the car to the degree that they cannot understand why it is not the perfect car for everyone on the face of this Earth and who receive any criticism of it, real or imagined, valid or not, as an insult.

13. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I found the reviews particularly interesting from the point-of-view of someone who does this much (to me) high-speed driving (e.g., 80-90 mph).

I'm definitely not a "performance driver" by any definition; and I'm always interested when I read reviews of the Prius from people who are.

It's fascinated me that there are a significant block of these folks who are pleased with the Prius, at least in this respect. They're not comparing it to a Road & Track poster child, but many of them seem to like it for day-to-day driving.

14. Potential Buyer

Sorry, IsrAmeri, I misunderstood you.

bookrats, one of the things that impresses me with the Prius is that it does do a good job of satisfying the needs of many different people. It's versatile. In fact it's a pet peeve of mine when even Toyota dealers dismiss the hybrids as economy cars for families to get around in. When I went to a dealer once, he was surprised I was single yet was interesting in the hybrids... he didn't understand their real appeal.

15. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yeap, I sure wish I had gotten that perfect Prius with more room for me! Then I would be more comfortable in the passenger seat! :lol:

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No car is perfect for everyone. That's why we all buy different cars. It's always nice to have someone point out the blemishes in the Prius once in a while. It's natural that we like the Prius otherwise we would've bought something else.

I've posted my comments on the first page. Yeah, some of the stuff does take some getting used to but some adapt more easily than others. He's given his first impressions and that's something you have to consider.