1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I replaced my Brake actuator

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by GreenPeopleRock, Nov 20, 2016.

1. GreenPeopleRock

GreenPeopleRock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My ABS Actuator went last week, Dealer said $2800 including labor to change it.
    My car has 199,757 miles on it, I had the hybrid battery replaced last year.
    $1800 Abs Actuator
    $1000 Labor.

ABS Actuator, I got mine locally for $100 from a Used parts (Junk yard).
    Time to remove and install ABS Actuator 4-5 hours.
    Time to bleed ABS Actuator and Brakes 2 hours. (2 people)
    Decided to do it myself, I have a lot of mechanical experience but had never used Techstream before.
    This is one program you MUST use to finish this job.

Disconnect both Hybrid Safety Disconnect (Orange Plug) Rear
    and 12 volt batteries before starting.
    Note: When disconnecting the Hybrid battery, the switch lever pulls up about 1/8" to unlock
    and then pulls out, when putting it back make sure you slide the lever down that 1/8". I had
    forgotten to and got a code.

I also drained the fluid from the Hybrid system so it was easier to get the ABS Mount
    out and didn't have to worry about hoses leaking... Used a 1/4 ID Vinyl hose to bleed
    the Hybrid system once it was back together and put the hose back intro the reservoir
    until all the air was out. There are plenty of Youtube Videos and Instructions to do
    all of this on the internet.

Bleeding the brakes I would recommend a 2 or 3 foot clear vinyl hose 1/4" ID attached to the bleeder.
    I had purchased one of the bleeder kits, but ended up using the hose instead because some of the
    purging when bleeding the front used about 8 ounces of fluid.

I ordered a Mini VCI Cable and Software online and used VMFusion on my Macbook Pro.
    Note: Make sure you use either Windows XP or Windows 8 in 32 Bit mode, I could
    not get it to run in 64 bit, I wasted hours trying to get Techstream to run in 64 bit...

Another note, make sure your battery is fully charged or the Techstream won't connect.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Isn't there an extended warranty on the ABS actuator?

3. bigbearballs

bigbearballs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There is and I found this out after I sold my prius because this repair was going to cost me too much. Soab

4. Ryan Harrington

Ryan Harrington Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  5. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Made a video of replacing a prius abs actuator.
    2004-2009 Prius ABS Actuator Replacement

m.wynn and bisco like this.