1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I screwed up- tried to start while charging-everything DARK

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by phoebeisis, Mar 13, 2022.

1. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Member

OK

I certainly screwed up-I was in a hurry-old-71-in pain hands neck back etc

My 2006 Prius 140,000 miles-all but about 2000 are PURE CITY short trip miles

I tried to start it with a charger-immediately went DARK

yeah screwed up- everything on dash went DARK-

Dash had been lit up-TRIANGLE of death-and every other light was on-but it still ran

but 12v died 9 years old-rarely driven because of a BRAKE problem

perhaps the component buried in engine bay-that controls everything about brakes

and acts like a master cylinder-a $3000 component with labor-brakes on and off MUSHY

Dangerous-so only starting it while deciding to part it out-or sell whole-wirth proviso it must

be towed away-full disclosure-

If it is just a fuze-I will replace it-so it will start for potential buyers-engine ran fine

2006 140,000 ALL CITY MILES- yeah hard service-good car until brake component went bad

brakes on and off "mushy" like a brake master cylinder was bad

HELP- best guess-cook fuze or something pricier

Thanks

Charlie

PS Yes I KNOW I should not have tried to start it with charger-in a hurry-tired car mostly not worth

Much because of bad brakes-tired impatient in a hurry-screwed up

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    First question, where did you connect the charger and did you accidently connect it reverse polarity?

If reverse polarity, you most likely popped the fusible link in the underhood fusebox.

strawbrad likes this.
  3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Member

TMR

Thanks for the reply. I don't "think" I reversed connected-it was red to red-I think BUT

Now it is faintly possible I "took it off the clips" or they "popped off" and unthinkingly I clipped them up wrong

As soon as I pushed the START BUTTON- everything went DARK- the lit up dash-kaput

I will check that fusible link- the way it immediately "signed off" but with no "electrical burning odor"

it makes me think FUZE OR LINK- not a cooked component- or perhaps just HOPING-but sure worth a look!

Thanks-I will check-Charlie

Frankly if I could get it running-I would dig down and take a shot at replacing that brake component-not worth enough to just sell or part out-not if I could get it running "some"

bisco likes this.
  4. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Member

Oh-like your 4 legged "boss" .

The charger being set to 2 amps-but needly being pegged to over 15 amps-does that suggest wrong polarity?

I have never seen that before-normally set on 10 amps-it will initially read 5 amps(on this old-9 years old-battery) then it

will eventually get to 10 amps or so-the 15 plus amps-set on 2 amps-caught my eye-but did not cause me to check polarity.

I do remember looking at clips and noticing that the PLUS sign was hard to see-worn maybe-but perhaps I was just seeing

a negative-light was poor-I don't connect by color-always by actually "seeing" a plus sign-so maybe that 15 amp reading

meant I had it on backwards? Not sure why it would read like that but certainly possible I crossed it up-I was tired-light poor

in a hurry and not optimistic -so screw up not unlikely the link- is hard to see clearly -scratched up clear colorless

plastic hard to clearly see-I read that post-year or so back-when you jokingly told the guy EYE DOCTOR

He had actually pried the failed stretch apart- I will need to get a GOOD close look in good light-

Thanks-sure hope it is something simple like the link-I would like to take another shot at getting it fixed-the brake problem

It has been a very relaible car-very few repairs-very few

1)Traction battery-79000 miles warranty(black on black car-and NOLA is HOT-probably contributed to early failure-all city miles)

2) Inverter coolant pump-some sort of Toyota extended warranty because of high failure rate

3)AC-$3300 Toyota dealer-NOLA is hot humid-AC is 11 months a year in black on black car

4)Belt driven coolant pump-about 2020 DIY me-forget how much part was-not excessive I would remember a horrendous $$-

guessing under $200-maybe much less-unmemorable so cheap-belt too

5) front brake pads-DIY-cheap easy

That is it for 16 years 140,000 miles pure city driving-good as it gets

Charlie

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Usually, a reverse connection gives a pretty big spark. I would imagine it would also spike the current reading.
    Did you connect directly to the battery posts? On the gen 2, the (-) post is toward the rear of the car. The (+) post is toward the front of the car and has a large fusible link assembly attached to it with a heavy cable and small wire plugged into it.

Something else I was thinking about. Here's another possibility. Your 12v battery may be dead and now the charger may be dead also. If the charger was connected and set for 2 amps, it may have overloaded when you attempted to start the car. Shortly after turning on power (on a Gen 2) the ABS pump will turn on to pressurize the brake system. This is a large electrical load and may be why your charger spiked. If the 12v battery was dead and the car dash lit up initially, when the charger was on the battery, it's pretty likely the charger was connected correctly. That ABS motor may have turned on and killed it.

#5 TMR-JWAP, Mar 13, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
  6. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Member

TMR

Thanks for the tips

I carefully eyeballed the fused link-with the clear-scratched-cover off-it looks fine-but it is a weird arrangement-flat plates of steel

with little " square section wires" connecting one shiny plate to another-looks ok

My charger still works-

Whatever I did -it did not cook whateveer it cooked

UNTIL I pressed START BUTTON-then the dash IMMEDIATELY went black-everything black-

The battery was very low-but it still had enough to light up dash-BEFORE charger connected

Connection the charger-old SEARS says imput 190 W 60 HZ 120 VAC output DC 12V 10/2 A

Am I correct in assuming the charger actually is limited to 190 Watts

190 watts-not a lot- 1/4 HP-not enough to spin a starter motor I think-but maybe it actually can put out more than that

home outlets 120 x10 =1200 watts at least-hope I did not run that in

In any case-whatever cooked-cooked IMMEDIATELY- dash went from lit up-triangle etc- to black instantly

no noise no spark(I still have a very good sense of smell-I always notice odors and always smell "electrical odors"

before everyone else-nasty plastic insulation burning-

so if it is not the under hood-

by the battery there is a 5 amp fuse-fine

There is also a 120 A WHITE fuse it is fine also-can clearly see the wire is intact

Can a car battery go from having some power-lighting dash-and making beeps I think

To absolutely NO POWER-immediately-could I somehow have IMMEDIATELY destroyed the battery's internal connections?

Thanks Charlie

7. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Take the 12v out and charge it fully and then get it tested by a local shop under load. Lighting up the dash is not a test.

8. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Why not use a digital voltmeter to measure voltage at the battery terminals then again at the "jump start" point at the underhood fuse box?

Having some actual test data might get better results than guessing.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

jerrymildred likes this.
  9. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Member

GOOD NEWS-well pretty good

Yes You are all right-I should have tested the battery-but I have never had a battery soooooo dead-it would not light up a few LEDS

maybe not 5 watts-

Well I do now

Yesterday I put my voltmeter-analog needle-yes it is old-guessing the charger-SEARS-also analog 1970s-and the voltmeter OHM meter

amps meter- also old-needle on face-I could tests volts-would have to hunt up a 9V to do resistance

Anyway Voltmeter yesterday read 8-10v

This am I decided to hook up my "emergency starter "battery" claims to out out 1500 watts-tiny 10x6x2 inches-but..

Well hooked it up-turned it on-dash lit up-I ran around -pushed start-

Yes it started-and drove a few feet.

I parked it--the emergency start tiny battery makes a beeping racket- ran around-D/Ced it

So yeah I screwed up-but learned something-

Somehow the charger caused the battery to IMMEDIATELY go all but dead-when I hit START BUTTON

I wonder why everything went DARK-just because I ran a JOLT through it-

Exactly like I just did-except the emergency battery

It claims 1500 watts-the actual charger says IMPUT 190watts 15v x12 I guess(close enough)

My bad-but glad it worked out-

I really like this car-Toyotas are not lovable-like some cars(people love Jeeps new jeeps-for "some reason"

and people LOVE some Hondas-for pretty good reasons- and hard to believe but many folks

MGs Triumphs (we had a somewhat lovable MG1100 1963 OR SO) it was boxy-the points NEVER

actually wore out-they literally BROKE in half at 3 months(OEM prince of darkness Lucas parts)

but we loved it-and many people LOVE Jaguars(for obvious reasons)

but no one LOVES Toyotas-but this Prius still has a place in my heart-soooo few repairs

despite HARD service

Now that it runs I will start digging into the "on and off mushy brakes-but no code shows up-despite lit up dash.

I wonder WHY the charger just "killed" the battery INSTANTLY when I hit start

Before this episode the battery would hold a charge-for maybe 2-3 days- yeah bad battery but funds short-and 2 other cars run

OK-not a priority- guess I will pay $200 and get another battery-maybe spend more and get another OPTIMA YELLOW-

it lasted 8.5 years-long time-so.. but $300.. vs $200 -might be worth it

Thanks all

Charlie

bisco likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!
    i luv my prius :love:

11. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Member

Quick question then I will start a new thread asking about HOW TO REPLACE BRAKE ACTUATOR

It the Prius BRAKE actuator(er?) assembly the "same thing" as the antilock brake assembly?

I am looking at used brake actuator assemblies on ebay(used they are $300 or so vs NEW $900-$1300).

I have noticed a "part" that looks awfully similar-heck identical maybe-that is referred to as an anti-lock brake

"controller" or maybe assembly-also about $300 used

Is it the same part?

I seem to remember waaay back-maybe 1 year ago- the antilock brake icon came on before any other icons

and way before Triangle of Death.

So same part?

Huge aside-looking at 12v batteries for prius

On Amazon the yellow top OPTIMA I bought in 2013 was $160-and no tax collected-same battery now is $280+ about $26 tax

so over $300 now vs $160 in 2013-yikes! I will get a cheap-$180 battery-$200 with tax

Thanks

Charlie

PS I will spend time reading various posts -here-on the actuator replacement-before posting on it asking for "TIPS"-looks to be a many many hr job-

12. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring