1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I sell Toyotas. I bought a Prime.

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by OpusFuller, Jul 24, 2018.

1. OpusFuller

OpusFuller Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It's all about qualifying in the business. Luckily I can say I maybe had .1% ever come in and just not know what they want. People that come in usually have it narrowed down to two options and that's usually something that makes sense. For instance rav4 or highlander. They dont know if the rav is big enough so they want to sit in a highlander or something. I never have someone that comes in and is like.... I want to see an 86 and a sequoia... just doesnt happen.

Geo Dude and bwilson4web like this.
  2. OpusFuller

OpusFuller Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Truth is, people in this business are just lazy. But I'll make a point to absolutely have the prime charged up. I do thank you for the feedback!

Geo Dude, Merkey and jerrymildred like this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It really isn't much of a guideline. Here's the info from my manual.

IMG_8579.PNG

As you can see, it doesn't define "low level" or "long period of time." But I have read somewhere that it's recommended to leave it long term with the EV range at 0.

Attached Files:

Merkey and Since2002 like this.
  4. OpusFuller

OpusFuller Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    When I say "knows exactly what they're coming in for" I mean a customer who wants a truck knows he wants a truck. I quickly qualify them on a tacoma or a tundra. I'm sure as not going to bring up a corolla if they plan on wanting a truck to tow a trailer. I sell 16 to 20+ cars a month. Were strictly a volume dealership. I work on 0 commission. The proof is in the pudding. Will I get customers that dont know what they want? Yes. But I'm surely not going to show them and drive every car on the lot. The sales reps that do that sell 10 or less a month. It's all about qualifying and using your knowledge and skills to land them on the right vehicle, not every vehicle on the lot. I dont know how else to explain it.

Geo Dude likes this.
  5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe the engine will run periodically (every 3 months?) even if not technically needed.

6. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You could try selling a RAV4 Hybrid or a Highlander Hybrid, though. They are technically trucks.

Toyota US sells Hybrids& EVs like they are some sort of beast that is neither car nor truck. They give them their own category.

Most people come to a dealer to buy a car or truck, not a hybrid!

Geo Dude likes this.
  7. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Because Toyota sells the Prius as neither car nor truck.

How is the Camry a car but the Camry Hybrid not a car? Most people do not come shopping for hybrids! If you qualify that way, you will sell almost no hybrids.

8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know... the last time a car salesman suggested a car to me, I thought he was being pushy. And that wasn't the guy who got the eventual sale. There's a delicate dance.

I probably wouldn't feel that way if the suggestion were for a hybridized version of the car I was already asking about- maybe packaged in the context of "Hey, if the only problem is MPG/cost of operation, maybe consider.." But I don't know how often that comes up.

In my own recent experience, it took two trips to a dealer just to get a test drive- mind you this is our c, not even a plug-in car. On the first visit, they simply didn't have any. The salesman said he would call me in a few weeks when the next batch arrived. I really didn't have any problem with doing the test by appointment. If only it had worked out that way... but that's another story.

Geo Dude and OpusFuller like this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why would a car or any sales person not take the easiest most profitable route? that is human nature.

it is up to the dealership to incentivize sales people.

it is up to toyota to incentivize dealerships.

it is up to us to incentivize toyota.

there are not enough of 'us'.

10. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    At some point even Prius drivers were not Prius drivers.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but they likely went in looking for a prius in most cases.

Geo Dude likes this.
  12. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I think there's a lot to be said for the stealth hybrid.

We wanted a good small car. Emphasis on small. We couldn't find a better small car than the prius c. We particularly like the fact that it didn't have a giant touchscreen, didn't have a smart key and didn't have a monostable gear shifter. We decided to gamble on saving enough fuel cost to offset the higher purchase price vs. a gas car.

Hybrid economy performance without the extra dunk in the tech feature tank or associated pricetag- it was a winning combo for us.

Geo Dude, heiwa and bwilson4web like this.
  13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah that's fair. But what if someone is coming in for a "family car"?

I've had friends tell me they come in looking at the Prius and instead got told to buy a Corolla or Camry instead (4 cylinder).

Or say in your example above, would you present all options? There are a 4-cyl and hybrid versions of the RAV4 as well as V6 and V6 Hybrid options of the Highlander.

I find if you don't know what a hybrid is, product advisors tend to be hesitant to explain it either because they don't know the full details or are just worried they'll confuse the customer. (Then again, they are "product advisors" and it's partly their job to explain stuff)

Geo Dude likes this.
  14. triggerhappy007

triggerhappy007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Base
    I think it's hard to sell a hybrid, even harder for SUVS. When they ask how long will it will take to pay for the hybrid and you tell them 6-10 years, they're going to pass.

15. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    agreed- we won't recapture all of our extra outlay in the 8 years we plan to own ours, assuming constant fuel prices. (We will come close.) But I didn't mind assigning some of that cost to the smoother transmission. It's a lot more enjoyable than the 4-speed offered in competing compact cars.

Perhaps it will work out in a future car or SUV where the benefits can be captured in less time.

Geo Dude likes this.
  16. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Another good sales point, you'll save one car payment each year. That means out-of-pocket, 11 months of car payment each year. This is after taxes money so the true savings is car payment + 29% tax rate. The gas savings continues AFTER the car is payed off.

Sorry I can't post a simpler version but feel free to pencil out the savings using current gas prices and car payments. For example:
    • $457/mo ~= $30,000 @3.1% 72 months
    • $1,289 ~= 15,000 mi @32 MPG $2.75/gal (Corolla)
    • $750 ~= 15,000 mi @55 MPG $2.75/gal (Prime on gas)
    • $539 annual savings vs $457/mo payment
    Bob Wilson

#56 bwilson4web, Jul 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    Geo Dude and heiwa like this.
  17. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I know all of those words but I've read it 3x and can't make heads nor tails of it.

bisco likes this.
  18. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    • "Gas savings will make one car payment per year for as long as you own it."
    IMHO, a good salesman should be able to show:
    1. Down payment should equal 15-25% depreciation for first year - this means collision insurance will replace the Blue Book value of car. You walk away from an accident with no more car payments losing only the deductible.
    2. Fuel savings per year versus car payment.
    3. For a plug-in, fuel savings per year charging at home for 90% of miles versus car payment.
    If I were doing it, I'd make a spreadsheet with graphs for each. Then let the buyer enter the values and see the graphs change. Once happy, print the page showing all the work.

Bob Wilson

#58 bwilson4web, Jul 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    Geo Dude and jerrymildred like this.
  19. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When I went to a local dealer to test drive the Prius. I was able to look & sit but not drive due to the stop sale order at that time. He tries pushing be to a used Camry Hybrid he had on the lot.

I drove 150 miles to another dealer and saved thousands off the Prius, buying from a Gen 1 Prius owner.

20. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    OK, that was a lot easier to unpack.

Statements like that give me fits. We will own the car at least 2x as many years as we will make payments on it. Also there's no part of the fuel purchase transaction that actually pays our auto loan lender anything, so the whole thing comes off very clunky. I do get what you're trying to say, but distilling the facts into that one line just doesn't save me any time or illustrate any benefit vs. simply telling me that the car won't need as much gas as the last car and putting numbers to it. Also, the overall statement may not remain true given enough fuel price fluctuation.
    And give up that sweet, sweet profit on GAP insurance?

This is the meat and potatoes, as far as I'm concerned. The salesman I worked with for ours didn't go anywhere near that.

Wouldn't that expose the dealer to some kind of liability if the numbers didn't bear out? Even in a situation where the customer didn't understand the spreadsheet and put in the wrong numbers, it's going to create noise and hassles until the judge throws it out.

Something close to it that might work- apparently there's a feature in our car where we can tell it the average MPG of our old car, and it will compute differential savings for the eco scorecard. I haven't had a chance to configure it yet, but if you do it that way it's not paperwork from the dealer. It would have been nice if the salesman had pre-set that for us, or even just called attention to it.

Geo Dude likes this.