1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I suggest Maintenance during head gasket failure.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Raphael Muscarelle, Jun 30, 2021.

1. Raphael Muscarelle

Raphael Muscarelle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I suggest replacing lifters along with head gasket. Due to higher pressure on the valves. I know usually the valves have bent for lifter damage to occur. But I'll explain I hope
    About 80k miles ago my 2011 prius blew it's head gasket. Ok I rebuilt the engine lapped the valves. Was getting some valve train noise (ticking) it got worse and worse. Also was having intermittent harsh start up and shutdown. The car started to tell me engine was misfiring. Engine ran great Otherwise.
    Ok well the way the head gasket blew water was getting in the cylinders. This would put highee pressure on the lifter of that cylinder. This probably wore the lifter and it was probably collapsing with pressure on it. So I suggest replacing at least the lifters on affected cylinder. I replaced all of them with more expensive lifter for about $14 each. Ticking gone engine seems to have more power. Startup and shutoff alot smoother Can't talk to fuel economy yet. Was just done.

I also replaced timing chain. But I don't think it was necessary. Original chain was same size so no streching I could find.
    Also replaced electronic/hydrologic timing adjustment valve.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

bisco likes this.
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As a 2011 has the 2ZR engine, I assume that by 'lifters' you mean the hydraulic lash adjusters that sit under the fulcrum ends of the rockers?

Did you end up checking the ones you took out, using the "inspect valve lash adjuster assembly" procedure in the manual? How did they do?