1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I think I am screwed by GST....

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by texasshawshank, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk EGR Fanatic

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Up here we're regularly screwed by the Goods and Services Tax.

Sorry. :oops:

Tideland Prius likes this.
  2. texasshawshank

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree with your statement about FredHaas. They are the most the engaging and willing to negotiate the price.
    I reached out to dealers in Albuquerque and dishearteningly CostcoAuto price is $2000 higher. With such a big gap to my expectation. I think there is not much point trying them. Quite interestingly though, i found shipping cost between from CA against NM to Tx is almost the same. This makes Albuquerque even less appealing. With a two month old at home, any idea of flying out to drive back a car over 700+ miles will earn an automatic "No" from my wife....

Meanwhile I decided to sacrifice my preference, and decide to go for a Three Touring or Four w/ ATP. A few things I don't like about the two trims are (1) the softex seats -- compared with my VW Jetta, it looks cheap and ugly. The fabric seats has patterns make me feel good aesthetically. (2) The lower profile 17in tires are also my concern. Houston's roads are famous for potholes. (3) Possible extra noise. Can anyone comment on that?

3. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The 17s are a bit more harsh; but I like the feel of the car better. I had the 17s on my 2010 and now on my new 2016.

4. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Around Houston roads and freeways, I don't find the 17" tires to be any louder than my previous Gen3 with 15" tires. It may be slightly quieter. It's not luxury car quiet, but good enough for me. A test drive is the only way to judge for yourself. I will say that road noise on rougher pavement is pretty loud. There were sections of 2-and 4-lane highways between Denver and here that were annoying. But that would be the case in any Prius of any generation.

As for Houston potholes... It's them or take METRO. ;)

5. texasshawshank

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I reached a deal with Dianne this afternoon on a Three with ATP.
    Contacted several local dealers as well for Three Touring, but the lowest they can offer are still well above the prices reported here on PriusChat. Now even with the extra $600 to ship the car from CA to TX it is still a very nice deal in Texas.
    A friend of mine used to work in truecar told me manufacturer gives more kickbacks to larger volume dealers -- The more you sell, the lower the price you are able to offer. Some local dealers are very engaged and want to deal, but gap is so big that it's very unlikely anyone is able to come close to CA price. It might be totally the other way around if someone in California wants to buy a pickup truck or a big SUV though.

DonDNH, ATHiker and wrprice like this.
  6. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Congrats! :cool:

Are you having it shipped or flying out to CA and driving home?

What was the purchase price before tax/ tags/ Fees? Just wondering? Thx.

7. texasshawshank

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    With a two month old at home any out-of-town trip is a no-go. For the same reason I negotiated early (3 months ago) and placed order in June; for the same reason I gave up the thought of running around in town for the faint hope of a better deal.
    I started contacting trucking companies. It looks it's going to cost around $600.
    Pricing wise, I didn't get a penny off Dianne's offer. It's not the best deal, but it should be a good deal.
    I just need to get the monkey off my back, it has been dragging too long, thanks to the evil GST and screw-up at Fred Haas Toyota Country.
    You guys' support and suggestion are the few positive points for the twist. Thanks.

RCO, Blizzard_Persona and krmcg like this.