1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I think I caught a Toyota dealer lying to me today.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by JoanneR, May 14, 2021.

1. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Some of us know how to use it to research what features are available on different trim offerings to prioritize & make a responsible decision rather than rely on the stealership salesman. I went to the local dealer first for a few reasons. They were close, I wanted to see a Prius with the black interior to determine whether I wanted that color, abd, hopefully, to test drive one. Unfortunately that was during the emergency brake recall so I only got to sit in one with a black interior. That helped me decide it was too dark and I wanted a different color.

I dealt remotely with my preferred salesman until he told me they had just received a car I might be interested in. We drove there, had a test drive, bought it, waited for the pre-delivery preparation completion. & drove it home.

jerrymildred likes this.
  2. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That people who say they are just killing time and not buying might really be buyers, so they ignore a lot of what people say -- and it works, sometimes.
    I dislike traditional car salesmen ... a lot. They make up answers about technical details and have no value add for me.

Mike

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    OK, I get that.

The last time I was car shopping, I walked out of 3 different dealerships when the first salescritter who approached me totally ignored what I told him/her about my requirements for model and features.
    They were focused in on selling what they had on the lot and not what I wanted.

I ended up buying at a dealership 60 miles away.
    THEY got the one I wanted shipped in from 200 miles away.

4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My salesman spent 45 minutes in the car demonstrating features before our test drive. He also admitted when he was unsure about something.

5. thetourman

thetourman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I moved from an area that I had two dealerships that I trusted and would not try to upsell to an area with two dealerships I have had issues with.
    At one dealership while their for an oil change they were telling everyone their wipers needed replaced including me. I had replaced the wipers the month prior to the visit. They once showed me a cabin air filter that was filthy and asked if I wanted it changed. I advised them it was not mine as I mark my filters with my initials when I change it. They also told me I was leaking fluid and they could fix it for $400.00. When I asked to see it and have it shown to me they came back and apologized saying they had another 10 year old Prius same model same color in the shop that was leaking. Lately if I go there they are not trying to sell me extras.
    The other dealership we had a hub cap come off the car on the way home after a tire rotation. We called and of course every time we called someone was supposed to call us back. They never did. Finally got it taken care of. Tried to buy a new car from them. After five or so hours at the dealership we agreed on a price and shook hands on it. When the paperwork arrived it was two hundred dollars more than we shook hands on. When we questioned it the sales person said the sales manager and him had a misunderstanding and that if we wanted the car it would be the higher price. We left and a block away from the dealership the salesman called us. He told us he went to his sales manager talked to him about the price difference. The sales manger then called the owner who was at another dealership who agreed to take the original price. I told him that was a lot of calls and talking done for us to only be a block away. I think after being at the dealership that long most people who notice the price difference would pay it just to get it over with.
    What I find funny is that the second dealership has a billboard near the first dealership trying to poach customers. They are only around 40 miles apart from each other.
    With the turn over the dealerships have sometimes you get good sales people and service reps sometimes you don't.
    I recently called both dealerships and a private garage we get work done at. For an upcoming 150,00 mile service including brake fluid and coolant change The dealer ships were $84 apart and the private mechanic was more that the dealer.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. qmanqman

qmanqman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    ^^ see . . . stealership

Grit likes this.
  7. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    o_O

8. JoanneR

JoanneR Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Another update on the service on my Prius.

Florida Toyota dealer had written on the service report sheet back in May:

"YBK brakes have been inspected and should be replaced by the next service interval." On the multipoint inspection sheet, they have checked off "needs attention" on all four brakes.

Last week, I had the oil changed and the tires rotated up north. The mechanic said that the brakes look practically brand new, measuring 8 mm on all four tires.

Money grubber Florida dealer!!

Montgomery, royrose and bisco like this.
  9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    when they verbally tell me that, I Reply back “no worries, I’ll crash into other cars and gaurd rails when I need to stop.” I rotate my own tires so I know how much pad depth I have left. It’s just fun to watch their reactions.

10. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Dealers don't have new cars to sell so their shops are literally paying the bills.

Merkey likes this.
  11. oknavi

oknavi New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Most of the correspondents are missing the point when it comes to brake fluid changes. The reason that brake fluid needs to be changed is because it is hydroscopic. It readily absorbs water. The danger here is that if the fluid has not been changed at the recommended interval, then if the vehicle is involved in a heavy stop, the water in the fluid can boil and cause serious brake failure.

Mdv55 likes this.
  12. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think this is the actual word you meant to use: Hydrophilic | Definition of Hydrophilic by Merriam-Webster

13. NewHybridOwner

NewHybridOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    jerrymildred likes this.
  14. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Having lived in Christchurch for a year, I agree that you should change the brake fluid regularly. In dry climates like the western U.S. brake fluid can last indefinitely. I have a tester that measures water content of brake fluid. After 12 years and 103,000 miles water content is low, brakes work perfectly and my pads have 70% thickness left. Love that regenerative braking.

15. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yup.
    Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 3.42.23 PM.png

Prodigyplace and Neicy like this.
  16. MegaMix

MegaMix New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, this is why I don't tend to go to dealerships for work. It's best to find high rated near by places according to reviews.