1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I think I just saw the Gen 4 Prius (in stealth)

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by savior1974, May 14, 2015.

1. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Mebbe that's how they're going to wow us, by introducing the new plug-in concomitant to Gen IV, to perhaps counter the Tesla/GM/Nissan threats.

2. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well...Originally Toyota said they would release plugin options for their most popular cars (Rav4 they did, Prius...) They then later said the 4th gen was coming and PiP would be released along side it. They then said the 4th Gen PiP would come a year after the Prius Gen IV. And then of course there was the announcement of the Gen IV delay which I think was originally targeted to be released as a 2015 model. So now we catch up that maybe the target PiP release would be a 2016 model anyway. Think about it, 2014 PiPs actually had very active testing in wireless charging. So maybe 2 years is enough, also take on the fact PiPs 1st gen have been discontinued anyway.

Now begs the question, why would they announce discontinuation of PiP but not the regular Prius when we know the liftback version is coming out for sure and confirmed by Toyota this year (or unveiled this year?)

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It was that "hybrid" options would be offered for each vehicle. The goal was set for 2020.

It was ending of the current generation production, not discontinuation of the product overall. Getting stuck with inventory during a time of change is what Toyota is trying to avoid.

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Because sales of the Prius aren't bad. They are lower than their peak, but still good. So Toyota can continue producing them until closer to the next gen's release.
    The plug in isn't selling well. Stopping production now means Toyota believes they have enough stock on hand until the new one arrives.

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Pip isn't much more than a regular hatch with a bigger battery and a smaller fuel tank and some software tweaks. That means that it's probably 90-percent Prius. If you stop producing Priuses to retool for the G4, wouldn't that mean that you'd also have to halt production of Pips???

Toyota seems to be less than definitive about the Pips future, but since most of the developmental grunt work has already been done, it's probably pretty easy to graft the Pip bits onto a G4 - something that they're no doubt thinking about anyway.
    Either that....or the Pip will just be discontinued, but that seems unlikely.
    Toyota has been luke-warm with PHEV development, but they're still selling them....and they've already hinted that the G4 Pip will arrive some at some point in the hazy distant future.
    Remember how long it took for them to come out with the Pip after the G3 hit the streets?

Meanwhile?
    PHEV drivers still have plenty of non-Toyota choices. ;)

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we're hoping it will be different. if they increased the battery size where would they put it? or maybe there's more storage in the gen IV lift back.

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Have they halted Prius production?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, but they already announced pip production end date.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not sure why you're not keeping up with pip info, toyota has definitely announced it's approximate release date and a few details. see the 'everything we know about the next pip' thread.

10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll look.
    I was opining based on what I've read to date, which includes both an ending for G3 production, and a prospective start for g4 production, and thence for the G4-pip.
    I regret any omissions.
    I'm not a particular fan of the pip, but it's the PHEV with the lowest sticker price right now (IIRC) and since it retains the hatch's ICE efficiency and (more importantly!) the hatch's reliability.
    I'll read the 'everything we know about the next pip' thread......
    Back in a minute.....
    (I'm a slow reader)

Edit: Do you have a Hyperlink?

#190 ETC(SS), Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  11. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I didn't know they announced a pip 2nd Gen release Date. I do believe that the 4th gen prius will store batteries underneath the back seats. I believe a spare would be included in the lift back. So I'd imagine the pip be the same as it is now but with extra room below the seats. Most likely 5 kwh battery with 4.4 usable or so. Should be able to go 15-18 miles ev easily.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    late 2016. the pip already has batteries where the spare goes, how will they enlarge them? idk what 15-18 miles means. are you comparing to epa 6 miles, 11 miles, or users miles?

13. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You know, actually I think the next PiP could very well break 20 miles EV considering improvements in battery chemistry. Is it still coming late 2016? So that means the 2016 PiP model just doesn't exist? lol...

It was said that the 4th gen batteries would be under the backseat. So...Imagine the current PiP with that configuration with the trunk instead of spare. Should never be more battery power and EV miles.

14. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  15. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking carefully at the back end, it looks like the hatch might be smaller and the rear deck higher. It's even with the tail lights. The glass area below the spoiler is narrower as well. Weird they split the glass on the rear door, probably to make the rear window have a more linear movement opening and closing.

Sorry I meant to say the rear passenger door and window in case anyone is confused.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  17. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I know this has been mentioned previously, but this thread needs a boost.

Yesterday, I read,about and viewed pictures of the 2016 Chevy Cruze. Interest is being generated, the auto magazines are featuring and analyzing, and no doubt, potential buyers are making purchase decisions. Pictures of 2017 vehicles are even starting to appear.

Now compare that to the Prius. They have revealed virtually nothing about the next generation. Some will argue that is just Toyota's way. But they reveal tidbits about other Toyota cars and trucks, so I am not sure that is a valid statement.

The more time that passes, I am convinced that major decisions have yet to be made re the Prius. I suspect, it is still not ready for production. Rather than talk up, and worse yet, release a defective car, Toyota is just keeping mum on the details. If that is true, most would rather wait a while longer for a perfected vehicle. I am certain that Toyota wants very much for the G4 to regain the prestige and prominence in the hybrid market; to be the "rabbit" everyone else is chasing. But I am also convinced that is a very difficult task to achieve. As the saying goes, "all the low hanging fruit has been picked."

Your thoughts?

Trollbait likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you could be right.

19. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Gen3 was kept very quiet too. It was evolved nicely.

[​IMG]

Tideland Prius likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    exactly. i think we can expert this same sort. those hoping for a game changer are likely to be disappointed. wait for the murai.