1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I think I just saw the Gen 4 Prius (in stealth)

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by savior1974, May 14, 2015.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    GM thrives on publicity. There have been a few notable occasions that have resulted in setting of expectations too high... hence the "over promise, under deliver" reputation.

Toyota chooses to simply wait. That quiet is their norm. It ends up being a "wait you see is what you get" delivery.

Building up anticipation can be good, but it can also backfire due to hype.

Making people wait can be rewarding, but it can backfire due to impatience.

The mixed messages from annoucing early is too much of a risk. I prefer the wait. Risk of disenchantment has consequences.

#201 john1701a, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    plenty of built up anticipation here.:p

3. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I anticipated that Toyota's philosophy of silence would arise. If you examine car magazines, you will find features about other 2016 Toyota and Lexus models. But let's wait and see. Time will tell. I'm thinking the G4 is just not ready yet for "the big show." And IF it is not ready, then do not reveal features that are still being developed, although, it is getting way late to still be making major decisions.

I would suspect that the design team should be working on the 2017 model year by this time, although I doubt there will be much changed from the 2016. The four pictures of the G3 design evolution (previously posted) was interesting. But we did not see the evolution until after the fact.

4. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good things do come to those who wait, scientists say - Telegraph :)

I like waiting!:D I am now waiting for Gen II PIP or Prius Prime!

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  6. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They may as well take all the time necessary. I want that wireless ev charging option.

bisco likes this.
  7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't look to GM for what Toyota is going to or should be doing. like USB said, look at Toyota's history with the 3rd gen Prius. It was ....

* officially revealed in middle of January 2009
    * there was a very revealing video in Dec. 2008 Toyota allowed to leak featuring full views of the car outside and inside with Jazz music and Blue Man Group inside.

* I heard before that, maybe November 2008, there was a half dozen or so photos of small parts of the car, that's it.

* Before that, I do not believe there were ANY actual photos of the 3rd gen Prius, nothing. I don't recall spy shots with black camouglage. There were artists renditions and such in Summer of 2008.

This is just the way Toyota rolls with this model of car.

Jim Lentz said he has driven the new Prius. What are the chances he is bluffing? About zero. Corporate execs don't say 'yeah, I drove the new model car' then later say 'Hah, i was just kidding, I never drove it'.

You are just frustrated over the long wait. It is a VERY long wait this time around

Just wanted to say that I expect to still be looking for another car when the 4th gen comes out. I expect to check it out and find it too small and uncomfortable, but if it happens to miraculously be more comfortable for a tall guy like me, then, great. But, i seriously doubt it (or any alternative fueled car) will work in the near future. I'm not willing to put up with the large sacrifices required by alternative fueled vehicles at this point: Hybrids - Prius, c - small, downscale, uncomfortable, v - unappealing, PiP, same as Prius but more expensive, HyCam - uncomfortable, Avalon Hybrid - ergonomics do not work for me, HiHy - too expensive, CT - too small, expensive, ES hybrid - too expensive, Sonata, Optima, Accord, Fusion hybrids -small trunks, all other hybrids, worse. PHEVs - Volt - small, expensive, Energis - very small trunks, EVs - Model S - far too expensive, Leaf - weird looking and hideous driver's seat, i3 - expensive and weird looking, Focus EV, expensive and very small trunk, eGolf - probably pretty cool to drive but expensive and VW ownership risky, SmartEV - r u kidding?, Fiat EV - same as Smart, iMiEV - you could give me this car, then I sell it immediately. So, that's my take and I am not so surprised why consumers only buy 4 or 5% alternative vehicles altogether.

#207 cycledrum, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    GM tends to hype things up. Japanese automakers tend to keep it on the low down with maybe a concept (like the 2004 Prius "concept" at the 2003 Detroit Auto Show which was really a production Gen 2 with concept car sized wheels or the Honda Civic Concept highlighting changes for the next gen Civic).

The Yaris wasn't revealed until the NY Auto Show, neither were the 2014 Highlander, 2013 RAV4 or the updated 2014 Camry revealed until launch.

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It reminds me of the olden days when Apple could keep details under wraps until the day of the reveal. When people finally saw all the really cool stuff, it blew them away. Apple events that used to end with journalists gushing over the new stuff these days usually end these days with articles starting with, "as expected through multiple leaks..."

I like all the secrecy.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Me too. We're too caught up with instant gratification or the sense of entitlement that the manufacturer "owes" the consumer a teaser.

markabele likes this.
  11. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I have no thought that the manufacturer owes me anything. I just think it is good marketing. I feel that every-time you can get the public talking about a product, and looking forward with anticipation, it is good business philosophy. In the absence of that, even the "faithful" start looking and thinking about the competition. How many writers on this thread have mentioned going elsewhere because of some feature they like on a competetor.

A car purchase is a major investment. Most of us plan ahead, decide if we are going to put new tires on the old car, or make needed repairs. Then you read something about the new model, and you make the decision about what to do.

On the other hand, I wish politicians would keep quiet until about a month before the election.

12. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A lot of PCers have gone elsewhere because Toyota has backed off EVs and joined the FCEV camp with Mirai coming out.

btw, did you see and weigh in on civic06 post that the gen 4 Prius will be unveiled at Frankfurt auto show in September (this year)?:p

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Toyota backed away from Lithium BEVs (except PHEV). They are still working on solid state BEVs.

cycledrum likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we have definitely lost some people to bev's, other hybrids and plug ins. that's the natural state of things. may the best car win!

15. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I wasn't sure what a BEV is. I researched it, and now I know.
    I find it hard to imagine that Toyota, with the enormous time, effort and research it has put into hybrids, Including hydrogen hybrids, would ever go BEV. Just an opinion.

bisco - I think you would agree .... It tis far better to keep your loyal customers, than to loose customers, or convert new ones from other brands.

I have no idea how many Prius owners are registered on Prius Chat. I would guess that most of us are interested in the Prius; enjoy reading about developments, and quite possibly plan to replace their current Prius with a newer one at some time in the future. That is why I feel it would be good business sense for Toyota to keep "their base" involved, interested, and planning for the future. I rest my case.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i agree with your business theory, but after 30 years in business, and numerous 'experts' telling me exactly what you just said, i have found that most people prefer to go after new customers, at the expense of their current ones. not intentionally, but, it must be a human nature thing.

the 80/20 rule, in this case, says you will spend $80. going after a new customer, compared to $20. to keep an existing. and yet, most prefer to spend the $80.

17. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I cannot disagree with you. I was only referring to what seems like common sense. Maybe that is why our economy is so screwed up? Thanks.

bisco likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    one of many reasons. we're human, prone to mistakes. at least i am.:oops:

Felt likes this.
  19. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, just ask my wife.

20. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm I'm not really anticipating anything. I'm far more interested in what everybody at PC put on wish lists. I think we're a pretty innovative group of people. Too bad I don't have the time or energy to make a table of wish list items and check off the ones that came true when Toyota does make the announcement. I think its kind of cool to know Toyota actually used an idea of yours, even if 40 other people thought of it as well.