1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I think I just sold my Prius, sigh (sad face)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Geek_Law, May 23, 2011.

1. Geek_Law

Geek_Law Lead Foot

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's exactly how I look at it. The lease removes an unknown (e.g., what it can be sold for later). Thus, it can be looked at as simply an amount of money spent over 3 years. For example, mine was $220 mo x 36 months or about $8K plus the $1000 down, so $9000 total for three years.

I knew I wouldn't keep the car after the lease, and I knew I wouldn't go over the miles.

As it turns out, I was only into the car about $3800 to date (13x pmts plus my $1,000 down) and I just deposited a check for $3900, which was the excess after the payoff. And I saved a ton on gas :)

I was against leases for most of my life but I'm at the point now where I'm willing to pay a bit more for convenience and predictability. I'm not yet convinced it does cost more either. We'll see.

I also have a '11 Sienna minivan which was about $34K, and the lease payments are $365mo. That one we'll keep until the end of the lease, but not thereafter. Not sure yet if we'll try and sell, trade in, or release it to the leasing company (toyota financial). But we have no plans to keep it. When we got it, we traded in a Nissan Quest that I purchased outright when it was about 3 years old. So we walked away with a $10,000 check and a new van from the dealer. That was kind of weird. But I ended up paying about $11K to drive that car for 3 years (in depreciation), versus about 14K to drive the new toyota for three years ($365x36mo + $1000 down). So for a difference of just $3000, in my mind, we might as well get the new car, and not have the hassle of a used car, or having to try and sell later.

The lease vs buy thing is a tough one. But for me, I'm liking the lease.

2. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Me, too. First I damned those who bought new, but saved a special place in hell for those who leased, and now look I have two leased cars myself.

Cars cost per month whether lease, financing, or even own outright (depreciation + repairs). For what I'm paying to lease this it's just very difficult to paint it in a negative light.

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your whole post seems subconciously disingenious to me.

You "absolutely loved" The Prius BUT put less than 9000 miles on it in a year? And you haven't "lost" anything...you're basically just doing what you want...switching toys...seasonally...

If you REALLY loved The Prius...you'd keep it...summer and motorcycles not withstanding.

You're free to do whatever you want. But what I read, is that you thought now was a good time to get out from under a lease, and ride your motorcyles.

This isn't a case of losing a Prius due to accident or a sudden change in economic situation. You have chosen to sell your Prius.

You also sound like you just like the "fun" of buying a new toy...so selling The Prius is hardly a hardship as it becomes a simple excuse to look at buying a new automobile this fall.

Personally I think driving a Prius in a manner that gives you a 34.5 mpg average IS being a selfish prick...and wasting the best attribute of a Prius. I also think self indulgent consumerism in the form of seasonally changing automobiles on a whim is wasteful.

4. Geek_Law

Geek_Law Lead Foot

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I respond to the charges as follows:

I hereby stipulate to the allegations and plead guilty as charged.

Agreed. I again hereby stipulate to the allegations and plead guilty as charged.

Oh and if it isn't stating the obvious, aren't all lawyers pricks? I can barely stand to look in the mirror each morning. But its a really nice mirror, with gold inlay painstakingly applied by the small hands of third-world children.

Ok, the last part is just sarcastic joke.

On the up side, I tell my kids that *they* should be good world citizens ;)

1 person likes this.
  5. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Many people's cars can't get 34.5 off a cliff. I don't know if that makes them a bigger or lesser prick than Geek_law for his aggressive driving :)

Truth be told though I am surprised you get such mileage in it, you really must rag on that thing and brake late!

6. Geek_Law

Geek_Law Lead Foot

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I live in a rural area and there are multiple opportunities for 100+ MPH runs.

For those that disagree with my ways: Yes, I'm a prick. Yes, I am evil. That's not being argued. Allegations of what an donkey I am will be met with fierce agreement. Just ask my 15yo. :cool:

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know you are kidding. And it's funny. But my brother is a lawyer, and NO..not all lawyers are pricks. I find that stereotype damaging and unfair.

It's like the end of the movie "The Social Network" where the Lawyer tells Mark Zuckerberg that he is not an donkey but it's that he is trying so hard to be one...

Lawyers are people who have chosen to study law and make a living applying law for the benefit of themselves and their clients. Whether they are pricks or not, is entirely up to themselves personally.

Prickhood? Is a choice...