1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I think I know what to ask an electrician for...check me please

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by Cdgreg, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Cdgreg

Cdgreg Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Hi all, we bought a new 2020 prime in December with the intent of having a dedicated circuit installed in the Spring. Up to this point, we've run a heavy duty, high quality extension cord across our porch and into a water resistant connection box and charge each night (pic uploaded). We do not have a garage, or a car port, and building one is not an option in the near future. At this point, we're ready to talk to an electrician about a dedicated 240v circuit. I really enjoy the smooth EV drive and could definitely see our next vehicle being a full EV or a larger scale PHEV (Leaf, PHEV Rav4 or crossing my fingers in 5+ years for a PHEV 4Runner) and would like to future proof assuming our panel or sub-panel has the room. Here's what I think I want to ask the electrician to install, with a major question built in. Please tell me if my thinking is correct, or if not, what needs to change:

We'd like to install a 240v, 50amp circuit with a NEMA 14-50R receptacle and appropriately gauged copper wire to the red inked spot on the corner of our deck in the attached picture. From there, I will purchase a @Rob43 adapter and use my stock Toyota cable to charge at 240v. Knowing the outlet/plug is outside, and exposed to the NY elements all year, but I plan to leave the cable plugged into the outlet 24/7/365 do I need to build a special enclosure of sorts that protects both the connection at the outlet and the connection between the charger and the Rob adapter? Or, is it OK to just leave the plug exposed to the elements with the charging cable always plugged in and then "garden hose style" hang the charging cable while I am at work? I am not planning to purchase or hardwire a L2 charger, I simply want to charge the Prime at 240v.

I had thought about trying to future proof to the tune of a 100 amp circuit, but the price difference between a NEMA 14-50R and my uneducated electrical googling for a 100amp "inlet" seems to be $200+. That may be overkill.

Thoughts and feedback appreciated!

Attached Files:

#1 Cdgreg, Mar 9, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  2. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

VA, BMW Race Car, BMW R1200R, BMW 330Ci, Ford F350
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks for the kind words. (y)

Yes, it's OK to do what you want to do as long as you are not violating any local codes.

Think of it like this: RV Parks use virtually the same setup you are intending to use everywhere USA.

I always recommend using high quality parts/materials and some sort of enclosure like these ones, take a look at the picture below. Also "bite the bullet" & spend ~$100 dollars for a GFCI 50 Amp breaker, it's simply good smart insurance.

Screenshot 2020-03-09 at 4.42.26 PM.png

Rob43

#2 Rob43, Mar 9, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  4. Cdgreg

Cdgreg Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Oh NICE, thank you x2. Those lockable, element proof socket kits are amazing, I was afraid I was going have to try to make something lol. As for a GFCI 50 Amp breaker, should I look for any certain brand name, or brands to avoid? Or just tell the electrician I want one, and let him pick it out after he looks at my panel?

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Whenever you're running extension cords 100% in the elements, consider doing it the way big boaters do it. 240V - weatherproof shore-power extension. It can save you headaches down the road
    61dl1gUTgaL._SL1080_.jpg

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, it has to match your panel, or be a separate panel.
    www.amazon.com/dp/B00PSN0UKO This matches MY panel, but is just an example.

www.amazon.com/dp/B000BQT1AS
    This is a separate panel, advertised as for a hot tub.

7. Cdgreg

Cdgreg Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I’m starting to go in a slightly different direction with my thinking. I’d like to be able to leave the Toyota oem charger in my trunk and use it as a travel charger. So, that means I’d buy a different 240v charger to “permanently” plug in at home. I’ve heard clipper creek quite a bit. Thoughts on this charger?

32A Level 2 EVSE AmazingE FAST with NEMA 14-50 | Powered by ClipperCreek

I know they have a 240/16a option for about $100 less which is the max for the prime, but I’m willing to spend an extra $100 for future proofing. Thoughts on that L2? This will be permanently outdoors but in a lockable enclosure.

8. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

VA, BMW Race Car, BMW R1200R, BMW 330Ci, Ford F350
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    All in all, having a main EVSE and a portable spare EVSE is a good idea.

ClipperCreek is certainly a top brand and a good choice.

Future proofing is another great way to go, assuming you purchase a bigger battery EV car sometime down the road.

Rob43