1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I think I made a mistake buying the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TheForce, Sep 27, 2010.

1. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I'm serious about this. I bought a 2000 Insight a few months ago and after driving through a whole tank I have to say I love the car!

Back in late 2005 I was looking for my first new car. My two choices were the 2006 Insight or a 2006 Prius. Since I never learned how to drive a manual transmission I was leaning toward the Prius. The other thing that pushed me toward the Prius was there was a lot of work being done on converting the Prius to a plug in. Having an EV or plug in hybrid was something I was really wanting and it looked like the Prius was the better option mainly because you can do all electric. In the Insight the engine must be on when your moving so EV mode and plug in capability was kind of small. The only thing I could see going on with the Insight was the MIMA system. I also thought the extra room of the Prius would come in handy which it has a few times.

Now that I have the Insight I have to tell you I love the car. If I knew how to drive stick and there was a car on the dealer lot back in 2005 I'm pretty sure I would buy it instead of the Prius. If that were the case I would have bought a used Prius today and convert it to a plug in with the PICC system.

Why do I love the insight so much? Here is a picture with the reason.

Sorry about the crappy quality. My cell phone would not get a clear picture for some reason.
    [​IMG]

71.9MPG and 671.3 Miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Calculated is 69.9MPG using 9.606 gallons at $2.739. That comes out to 3.9 cents per mile.

Now please note that with my stock Prius I was averaging about 60MPG with 70MPG with in reach a few times but only if I really worked at it. I MEAN REALLY WORKED AT IT TO GET TO 70MPG!

Now here I am with this used 2000 Insight that I don't know how to drive stick with and I pull out a 70MPG tank with out really trying that hard to hypermile! This tank started in the low to mid 60's and I was stalling the engine a few times on my commute. I ended with a best trip to work of 87MPG and a round trip commute of 77MPG. After driving through a whole tank I think I know how to properly shift without jerking the car now. I think once I learn how to exploit the Insight I think I can average 90+MPG on my commute and maybe even touch 100MPG.

I know the Insight does not have all the bells and whistles that the Prius has but most of that stuff can be added. I will be adding a lot of the stuff I miss like the auto dimming mirror with homelink, reverse camera, navigation, and a car PC to name a few.

If I could travel back in time I would buy the Insight instead of the Prius. But for now I still have my plug in Prius and love both of my cars. I will be driving them every other day or so just to keep the batteries charged and also to help keep the gas from going bad.

I did get a custom license plate for the Insight. The Plate I have for the Prius says BOO GAS. The plate I got for the Insight was BOOO GAS. Its the only thing I could think of.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Neither was a bad choice.

The Prius has a superior hybrid system, while the original Insight is very light and has an extremely efficient, light gas engine.

I've always wondered what the results would be if an HSD powerplant sized to the Insight were dropped into one.

P.S. - it's time to put a hot air intake on the Insight.

3. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Jay,
    I think you could have chosen a better subject title. As written, it comes across as a probable "this car sucks" type thread which it is not. Any even slightly knowledgable person deciding between the 2006 Prius and Insight knew that the Insight got better MPG.

The fact that you averaged 60 MPG in your Prius BEFORE converting it to a PHEV means you are doing way better than most people. And I suspect you are getting BETTER MPG in the Hymotion Prius than in the Insight. So while you might have chosen to buy an Insight had you known how to drive stick in 2005 doesn't make the Prius purchase a mistake.

I have nothing against the Insight. If one can deal with only 2 seats and less cargo space, it is a good car. At $0.039/mile, it is little more than a pure EV like the Leaf. Too bad Honda screwed it up when they reused the name on the 5 passenger 2010 Insight. Smaller than a Prius and MUCH lower MPG. Even lower than the Civic Hybrid even though the Civic is larger, less aerodynamic and weighs more.

Now that you have learned to drive stick, you can try to get on "The Amazing Race". New season started last night and yet AGAIN someone doesn't know how to drive stick. She was even smoking the clutch!

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your love for the Insight is justifiable.

But your Insight isn't being manufactured anymore. Thus it quite frankly simply is not the future.

But Honda should take notice. There's a devote following of classic Insight followers that rightly love the vehicle...because for it's time it was groundbreaking and standard setting.

The mediocrity Honda seems willing to embrace with it's current incarnation of Insight was disappointing to almost everyone.

They should learn from their own history, and learn from Toyota. There's a reason Toyota worked so hard to reach the advertisable benchmark of 50 mpg.

Anyway your reaction is not so odd. I sincerely doubt a decade from now the currently produced Insight will be remembered with as much fondness as the original. And Honda has nobody but themselves to blame for that reality.

5. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I predict Jay will have a 100mpg trip next summer, maybe a 100mpg tank.

In warm weather, a 100mpg tank is not that hard if you can cruise at 50 on long trips.

6. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I agree. It's not so much I made a mistake buying a Prius. But a case of buying this classic used Insight was NOT a mistake. But he's likely to get a lot more views with this title..than "I Love The Honda Insight".

7. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you don't need any interior volume, power, and are ok driving a discontinued low-volume car then the Insight is not a bad option. Its mileage is superb.

8. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Also factor in the tastes of leadfooted Americans....do you know how many European subcompacts that either are not sold in the US, or they but in a bigger engine? Think that's the case of the Smart, and probably will be what happens to the Fiat 500.

The majority of cars sold in the foreseeable will still be gassers, but their engines could definitely get efficiency like the original Insight, esp if you add a turbocharger. With a bad battery pack, I can still get 100mpg doing cruising 55 on a warm day.

EVs and PHEVs is where we would like everyone to go, but in the interim, I'd like to see more 1.5 liter engines and even 750cc engines in subcompacts.

9. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well just to clarify...I meant specifically...his Insight- is not the future.

I think the future will demand alternative automobiles. Exactly what popular form manifests? Hybrid, Pure EV, Plug In Hybrid...or most likely a combination of All of The Above....we shall see.

10. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No intent from me to be argumentative, but just note the general public disinterest in fuel economy is very disappointing.

The public will get serious when the "Are hybrids worth it?" (yes, they still write them) dissapear and you see "Pain at the pump" articles like in summer 2008. Then millions will regret buying a hybrid now.

11. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Be careful not to discharge the battery too much. There has been a lot of reports of the HV battery dying early because of it.

12. GasSaver1

GasSaver1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The curb weight of the insight is not even 2000 pounds. It is a small light car. It was more of a prototype than anything else (cvt was not introduced until the 2001 model). It works well until you get hit in it then even if you survive I am not sure the car would.

13. LowandSlo

LowandSlo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First Generation Insight better mpg, but .........

I seriously considered a first generation Insight with a 5 speed. Until I drove a mint condition used one and found that the ride was like having little or no shock travel and the interior noise from tires, rattles and wind plus the lack of power for major uphill freeway cruising was just too much to put up with on my regular 200 plus mile drives. For me the Prius is much quieter, much more powerful, way smoother over uneven pavement and has the flexibility to carry more than two people and lots more stuff.

14. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've read a couple of high-speed collisions in California that would have totaled probably any car and they had minor injuries at most.

15. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as the title of the topic goes I think its just fine because I do believe I made a mistake buying the Prius back in 2006. I never really needed the Prius for anything and all I really needed was a commuter car. If I bought the Insight I would have saved a little money. Actually a lot of money because if I remember correctly the Insight was around $26k with everything and my Prius was about $30k plus I might have been getting close to 100MPG with the Insight since I would know how to exploit it.

As far as the Insight not having any power I would have to disagree. While shifting one day as I was getting on to the onramp the Insight decided to give me full assist instead of the small bit of assist and it felt like kick in the pants. Of course its not Tesla Roadster kick in the pants but it did push me back in the seat a little. I really cant wait to get the MIMA kit and have some fun with full assist and full regen. As far as performance goes is just as good as the Prius in my opinion.

I know about the issues of the Insight and actually all of Honda's hybrid batteries. On my commute with all the assist (or little assist depending on you definition ) I use, I don't actually see the bars going down much. I've only seen it go down maybe 3-4 bars and charge up with only 1-2 bars from the top. I think the only way I would be able to use more of the battery would be to get MIMA installed.

I've seen some posts about Insight's getting into accidents and it seems to do really well as far as humans not getting injured but it seems that the car would be more likely to be totaled. I've seen the pictures and the Insight looks like aluminum foil after an accident. Even some small accidents. I'm not worried about it.

I do think I need to get some new shocks for the insight because when my dad was driving it I was following him and the right rear tire just kept bouncing. When riding in the car it also just does not feel right like its too rough of a ride.

16. timo27

timo27 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    (I think you might have meant to say 'millions will regret *not having bought* a hybrid now) but - you hit this one dead on right. I don't know whether the explanation is the endless sewage-stream of political claptrap we are constantly fed, the complete lack of an energy policy in this country, human nature to have a short memory, or some combination thereof, but, you are right, it is disappointing. Disappointing from many aspects--environmental, from the standpoint of energy security, and even just in terms of peoples' own self-interest, which doesn't seem to take into consideration the fact that they're buying a car (in most cases--yes, I know some people replace their cars every two years, but, in most cases) to give them service for years.

I'd bet if you took a scientifically valid poll, asking the general public if they thought fuel prices would stay at current levels or would go back up within a few years, most would say they think they'd go up. (Regarding public opinion and other stuff, I reserve the right to be wrong ;)...). But when it comes time to signing the papers, I guess it's "the he^^ with the future, I want what I want, and I want it now!"

Sorry about the diatribe and the political tangent--hope the OP enjoys the Insight. I do think that car was an engineering marvel, period, let alone considering that the work is 10 years old.
    ~T

17. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes - I intended to say: "Millions will regret not buying a hybrid next time there's pain at the pump".

Being a moderator finding fuel economy stories, I'm suprized ten years later that auto writers STILL put out articles questioning if hybrids are worth it. One of the most recent (it was mentioned here) compared ONLY hybrids that had direct non-hybird versions...few of them are economy cars like the Civic.

Another unintentional point of that article that excluded the Prius and Insight is it's not all about the hybrid engine, but designing a car from the ground up with emphasis on efficiency.

18. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Confession: The Prius was my second choice, the Insight was my first. However, in 2006, the last year the old Insight was made, none were available anymore but the Prius was. However, seeing as I am constantly schlepping large loads in the Prius, I am so glad I went with that (I could never have fit most of those loads in the tiny two-seater Insight).

19. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Jay. How much do you want for your Prius? ;)

20. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Enough to buy a Tesla Roadster. :D