1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I think my 12 volt battery needs replacing

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by asalligo, Apr 30, 2021.

1. asalligo

asalligo New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good morning, I am new to the forum, but my daughters Prius which has been in storage while she is in Spain is no longer starting without a jump and not holding a charge after driven for an hour. I was starting it once a month, but no one was driving it.

I have been searching the posts and I see that I should try a battery charger on repair first and get it a full charge. Assuming that the problem continues must I buy an OEM battery replacement or an Optima Yellowtop? please forgive my ignorance, but why do I need a $250 battery to start the car?

The battery has been awesome so far though, this is a 2011 Prius and nothing has ever been replaced. Frankyl, it has never had an issue. Just oil changes and tires for 10 years.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    A $180 battery is fine as long as it is an AGM with a vent port. This battery is a 7 year long life battery specifically designed to be in the interior with your daughter. Some have used a flooded lead acid battery that could gas to the interior, could be mistakenly hooked up wrong and does not respond to deep discharges as well as an AGM. Call your local auto supply.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah once-a-month start is nowhere near enough. How old is it? Assuming it’s getting on in years, and the car will continue to be mothballed for significantly further time:

1. Disconnect and isolate neg cable. This is shutting the barn door after the horses have bolted, but hey.
    2. Window shop new batteries, just be ready.
    3. Research smart chargers (3~4 amp range) and electronic load testers. The former run through a multi-stage charge session and then can be left on indefinitely, as maintainers, if that’s practical. The latter ask for some info about your battery, then test it’s actual Cold Cranking Amps, and give a verdict.

#3 Mendel Leisk, Apr 30, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if it is original, don't bother trying anything, just replace it. if it is not going to be driven regularly, hook it up to a maintainer.
    as for batteries, if you got 10 years out of the first, why change?

Fred_H likes this.
  5. asalligo

asalligo New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks everyone, I ordered the new battery, even with the charger attached the old battery will not start although that does make the doors work. Is there a process I need to complete when a new battery is installed?

6. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    On my gen3 I have not had to reprogram the windows or the presets, although it will change channel to a default fm station after a battery disconnect.

7. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry, I have been telling everyone a 2011 is a gen3. Now I know.

Edit:

I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

#7 rjparker, May 28, 2021
    Last edited: May 29, 2021
    jerrymildred likes this.
  8. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome, @asalligo. I hope the new battery is working OK for you. I'm curious. Why did you decide to buy a battery that will probably only last about 1/3 to 1/2 as long as the one that powered the car for over 10 years and only died from sitting in storage? The Florida heat is murder on batteries.

9. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You need to be positively sure that your new battery is fully charged before or soon after installation.
    You can't trust the car OR a shop to do that.

Anything else that needs to be done should be obvious.......like radio pre-sets.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2011 is a Gen 3. (2010-2015)

jerrymildred likes this.
  11. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic. :D I have that spiritual gift myself, so I tend to spot it more easily in others. I often have to restrain myself. :ROFLMAO:

#11 jerrymildred, May 29, 2021
    Last edited: May 29, 2021
    Tideland Prius likes this.
  12. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The context is missing but I took the high road of sorts. A member had crucified me for bringing up a gen3 function in a gen2 forum. Even though the OP had specified the car was 2011. I did not quote the member on purpose and he ran for cover by editing the comment to a "."

Then the mod apparently moved this thread to gen3 and deleted the post with the "." erasing all context.

jerrymildred likes this.