1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I think my AC fan needs an exorcist.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gray Kitty, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Gray Kitty

Gray Kitty New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello everyone. About a year ago I purchased a used 2008 Prius. it has been wonderful Drive however lately I'm starting to wonder if my heat / air conditioner has become possessed by a demon. At random times when I'm driving it will change the speed of the fan, where the fan is blowing, and the automatic which I normally Drive with in the off Position will turn itself on. the thought I am having is could this be related to the right side control buttons on the steering wheel not functioning? several of those buttons are meant to control the same functions that are misbehaving. does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this happening?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Those steering-wheel control signals go through the "spiral cable" (a/k/a "clockspring") behind the steering wheel, which is a wear item, because you're continually turning the wheel. When it gets worn, you can have those controls not work reliably, and/or also send spurious signals when you're not trying. (The horn signal also goes through it; some people let the spiral cable wear out all the way to the point of "horn honks every time I turn left" forum questions, and somehow are not embarrassed by that. :) )

So that's a place I'd look.

3. Gray Kitty

Gray Kitty New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thank you so much! I was reading other posts and put two and two together and started wondering if this could be the issue. it's very nice to see some confirmation on this!

4. Gray Kitty

Gray Kitty New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    the part has be ordered and I will post an update once I receive it. Are there any booby traps or things I need to know before I start taking apart the steering wheel? I am already aware to be very cautious around the airbag. Poking a screwdriver into a bomb is never a good idea

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Knowing to be cautious is good, but do you also know how to be cautious with an airbag?

That is, how to be sure the deployment reserve energy is drained from the system before you start, how to handle the bag/pad and what way to set it down, any time you set it down (and why that way)?

All in the manual, but should also be in plenty of threads around here.

Not many other booby traps I can think off. Make sure you're putting a centered spiral cable onto a centered steering shaft, and that you marked the wheel and shaft before pulling the wheel so you can put it back on pointing the same way.

The shaft end, and the bore in the steering wheel, are splined. The splines are very fine (so there are lots of choices for aligning the wheel), which also means they're very shallow. Turning the wheel at all while reinstalling it could grind 'em right out. It's a very light touch; you ideally want to feel that you've got the wheel lined up just the way it was, you can very lightly tell that it's dropping right into the splines the way it was before, drop it lightly the rest of the way and hold it there steady while you tighten the nut.

Torque wrench, of course. Auto parts stores often let you borrow the puller to get it loose straight off the shaft, again with no wobbling on the splines as you might by trying to just yank/pound it off. M8x1.25 bolts in the puller to mate with the tapped holes in the wheel.

6. Gray Kitty

Gray Kitty New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    very good advice I very good advice I had planned on disconnecting the battery carefully removing the thing and then sitting it down driver side on a pillow next to me however I will research it to make sure I am not going to do something stupid. I have a torque wrench already and I have several sets of gear pullers from my job at work. will these work as a steering wheel puller? There are various sizes of the three hook Center screw type

7. Gray Kitty

Gray Kitty New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I forgot to mention that I found the piece on RockAuto that I needed and have the book coming from a local auto parts shop. Is there a preferred place for Prius owners to go to find parts that won't cost us an arm and a leg? the dealers prices are hideous at best

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Dealer prices are all over the map: sometimes you expect something to be cheap and it's an arm and a leg, sometimes you cross the dealer right off your list because you're assuming a part will be super expensive and it turns out the exact part at the dealer is like $12. So it's always worth checking.

I agree they are proud of their spiral cables. But reports of people trying way-cheaper ones from ebay or wherever sometimes seem to end with replacing them again pretty soon.

A steering wheel puller looks like a skinny H. The wheel has two M8x1.25 tapped holes in it, diametrically opposed across the shaft. You get some longish M8x1.25 bolts and slip them down through the slot of the H at both ends, and then the puller bolt in the center bears against the steering shaft.

The puller may not actually come with the bolts you need (or may come with a selection of different threaded bolts) because not every manufacturer taps the wheel with the same size or thread.

You've probably found it already, but just for reinforcement, always set it down with the metal inflator housing down and the pad up. If anything sets it off, it sits there and the bag blows out the top.

Set it down the other way, and any deployment blows the bag out the bottom and launches a kg of steel into the air at you. Hard.

9. Gray Kitty

Gray Kitty New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    thanks you probably saved me from launching my airbag into low earth orbit. I will definitely follow your advice and when I'm picking up the part I'm going to ask them about a steering wheel puller to borrow.

10. Gray Kitty

Gray Kitty New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    In all of my excitement I forgot to update everyone on how things went. The replacement of the clockspring was relatively simple to do. one of the things I discovered is the maintenance manual I picked up left out some rather critical information such as disconnecting cables before removing the steering wheel. make sure you conduct thorough research when attempting to do this or any repair and use your judgment while doing it otherwise you can get yourself into a situation where you have a broken car. the other thing I discovered is the replacement part was not exactly identical internally to the old one so I honestly had to guess where Center was again in This falls under use your best judgment and logic.

11. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Did the replaced clock spring fix your problem?
    Thanks for the other feedback.

12. Gray Kitty

Gray Kitty New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    First: it did a excellent job of it not only did it fix the problems I was aware I was having the system is operating so much quieter now. there is no heavy clunking every time you shift the fan position which leads me to believe that I am getting proper electrical current 2 whatever part is responsible for this. also the defroster is operating a lot more efficiently which is very important here in Idaho. the only problems I'm seem to have now are lightbulb related and I need to wait for more parts to arrive to replace the HID headlight on the driver side and then mess around with the license plate illumination.

13. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you haven't done a HID headlight bulb there is a bit of a learning curve to it especially on the drivers side. If the bulb doesn't fix it the ballast for the light lives in the bottom of the headlight assembly, they don't like water. I have done the license plate light bulb too and it seems like a big deal removing that big plastic cover but once you pull it, it is a piece of cake. I replaced my license plate light with LED bulbs hoping they would be better at taking the abuse of slamming the lid.

Does your headlight look wet inside?

14. Gray Kitty

Gray Kitty New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    No the headlight looks nice and dry on the inside. I honestly would have swapped it with the passenger side to test the ballast but it's such a pain in the nice person to try to get the thing out I haven't gotten around to it

15. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you own it long enough you will get good at changing HID bulbs and removing the headlight assembly. I think I had it down to about 10 minutes. Kind of like the tire change scene on the movie, "A Christmas Story".

16. Gray Kitty

Gray Kitty New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I love that movie!!!
    Anyways back to topic I just had an idea and I would like to confirm with someone that this will work. I have multiple voltage detectors for both AC and DC at work. if the ballast is going bad and that is causing the problem the wire won't have any voltage in it. is my thinking correct on this?

17. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I didn't use any special skill or logic, when a new HID bulb didn't fix it I went straight to the ballast. When I found the ballast swimming in water I changed it. While the headlight was out to replace the ballast I used hot glue to reseal the headlight to keep the water out and it worked.

18. Gray Kitty

Gray Kitty New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I will keep I will keep this method in mind. It has to be waterproof, it doesn't have to be expensive to do it right? since it's the weekend I will be bringing home some diagnostic tools and playing with the Prius some more see if I can debug if he's headlight issues. One thing you mentioned that I think I'm going to look for are the LED light bulbs instead of the traditional. I believe you are right that slamming the trunk up and down is what does these little buggers in.

19. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four