1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I think my guess-o-meter has learned a new trick

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by jerrymildred, Mar 13, 2022.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So one of the charges must’ve had a cell balancing top up?

jerrymildred likes this.
  2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's the only theory I can come up with that might explain it. Except that I'd think I'd notice a pretty fantastic range on the ensuing drive. Unless it does a balancing charge and then somehow drains it back to a normal 83% "full" charge.

At any rate, the difference in energy pulled from the wall is too pronounced in quantity and pattern to be just a random fluctuation.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh so you’re charging back to the same amount of energy but the discharge rate is worse (i.e. shorter AER)?

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, the AER is back to where it used to be (typically 30-31 miles) and so is the energy taken from the wall. But, if the car did a balancing charge as you and I suspect, it would have charged to 100% rather than 83% to get the cells to equalize. That charge would have given me a longer range on the ensuing drive unless the BMS also did some sort of discharge to bring the charge back down to the usual 83% full charge level.

Tideland Prius likes this.