1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I think my Prius not starting is going to be much different than the other posts here...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bulbuh16, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know what a starter relay is, as there is no starter on the Prius. MG1 serves to spin the engine when starting.

Prodigyplace and Raytheeagle like this.
  2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Capacitance across there coils?

3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Relays should not have capacitance across their coils. Do you mean continuity as measured with an ohmmeter?
    They should have some inductance which is the opposite of capacitance. I am not sure how you could best measure that though.

4. Bulbuh16

Bulbuh16 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Capacitance might have been the wrong term sorry, there was resistance(?) of around 60ish when I tested continuity. I am trying to see if I had a relay short out somewhere which would keep power away from part of the harness for the power button. Because I obviously don't have a full circuit.

If I can't figure it out then I am going to take the car for a diagnosis at the dealer. After they diagnose, I am sure I can fix. I still want to try everything possible before the wednesday, which is the day I made my appointment for.

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Out of curiosity, have you checked to see if the AM1 fuse is good? Maybe even pull the fuse and make sure it has 12v on the supply side of the fuse?

AM1 fuse supplies power to the push button start system

Also supplies the interior lights, shift control and is a supply to the hybrid system

Actually, it looks like a bunch of fuses are listed as supplying the push to start system

In engine Compartment Fuse Box:
    7.5A P CON MAIN
    15A AM2
    15A DOME
    20A HEV
    30A P CON MOTOR
    100A DC/DC
    7.5A ACC
    7.5A AM2

In driverside interior fuse box:
    7.5A ECU-IG
    7.5A IGN
    7.5A STOP
    10A Gauge
    25A ACC-B

All these fuses have "Push button start system and vehicle immobilizer system" listed as items they supply

#45 TMR-JWAP, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  6. Bulbuh16

Bulbuh16 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's dark so I am not messing with it right now, but is the AM1 in the fuse box under the hood or the small junction box to the left of the steering wheel under the dash?

7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Also, my manual is by Bentley Publishers. It may not be the best or most complete in the world, but it's "done me right" so far over the handful of years I've had a Gen2.

Bentley #TP08

8. Bulbuh16

Bulbuh16 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I didn't know a printed manual existed until I saw your pictures. I thought everything was only on TIS. Ordered from amazon already!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Never seen a relay short out in my long engineering life. The way to test Relay is pull it out put 12 volts across its coil and see if the normally open contacts close and have good continuity should be close to zero on the ohms scale on the closed pole.

Relays are not your problem.

Dealer will be happy to spend some time on your car at $140 an hour.

Your best bet is to buy the electrical schematic book on eBay there pretty cheap and then review every connector you touched. The manual has color codes on wire colors.
    I just looked on eBay I see the factory electrical book for 2009 is $19.95.

#49 edthefox5, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    Prodigyplace and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. Bulbuh16

Bulbuh16 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello all,

Pretty uneventful update. I ended up taking it to the dealer and authorize them two hours to start to diagnose. They burn through those hours in the first day, which was the Wednesday before Christmas. They asked for another two hours, which I authorized.

Since then I feel like the service advisor has been dodging my calls. I haven’t actually received another update or a call back since Saturday. He told me they hadn’t been able to work on it because of the rain(understandable, as it is in the parking lot), and they wouldn’t be able to get to it til Wednesday. Here we are and it’s Friday with no update. Not even a “we’re working on it.” I haven’t authorized any work past four hours total, so I’m wondering what’s going on down there. I also called shortly before this update, so I feel like I’m really out of the loop.

11. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope the new year brings you better luck. After reading this, the things that come to mind are you missed or did not plug in one of the connectors properly. A connector not being all the way in happens more than you think. A blown fuse? Possible but if you disconnected the battery not as likely. Static electricity? Could you have touched one of the computers and damaged it?

12. LukemNukem

LukemNukem New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I know this is an old thread, but did they find what was the issue? I have the exact same scenario

13. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like the OP hasn’t logged in since his last post. Hopefully his problem was fixed and he lets us know what it was.

14. LukemNukem

LukemNukem New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Well I managed to find the OP on a different site and I confirmed it was him and asked if they fixed it.

"I am, and no they did not. I had to trade it in. They literally told me that he had the two most experienced master techs in northeast Florida looking at my car. They couldn’t figure it out. They spent way more time than they charged me for looking at it too. Basically told me that the next step was to completely replace the wiring harness. I Wasn’t about to pay for something that wasn’t a guaranteed fix. Sorry bud. It was a long and bumpy road with a dead end basically."

Mendel Leisk likes this.