1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I Think My Project Lithium Battery Failed After 3-days.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TheLastMojojomo, Sep 30, 2022.

1. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've been trying to find supplies to sell a wiring kit for Nexcell buyers who own older Prius. I'd be willing to bet that with a brand new positive and negative cable and brand new voltage sensor wires & bus bars (aka Wire Frame No. 2) would eliminate all the problems with your video. But it's something I've not had any success with yet. Sourcing supplies is hard!

Jack is being very generous in shipping you a warranty replacement but I'm still pretty sure the modules are not the problem and that when the amps go up that corrosion changes the electrical signals just enough to create inaccurate readings.

For example in your video at low amp loads the voltage difference is normal. But once you put significance amps in your voltage difference is an obvious problem. It's pretty smart of you to get direct readings of the blocks with a voltmeter and compare to reading on Dr. Prius app. But I can't see those number in the video very well... It would make sense that numbers match at just a few amps when there's no voltage difference. But do those numbers still match at high amp loads, which is where the voltage difference problem is?

2. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You do not want to use either of those electrical protective products. As the description says for both, those sprays are mainly for coil windings.
    Those sprays should not be used to protect a PCB (board), or exposed metal.

What you want to use is "Conformal Coating".
    Considering the amount you need, and the curing limitations (air cure only, no mixing), below is what I suggest:

Code:
    https://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-Premium-Acrylic-Conformal/dp/B07B8RY7M6/

MG Chemicals - 419D-55ML 419D Premium Acrylic Conformal Coating, 55 mL Bottle, IPC 830, UL 94V-0 (File # E203094)
    Price: $12.95 
    Product details
    Paint Type Acrylic
    Brand MG Chemicals
    Color Clear
    Unit Count 1.85 Fl Oz
    Included Components 2 brushes
    Certified Ul 94V-0 (file# E203094)
    Excellent finish — smooth, homogeneous, and durable crystal Clear coat and easy to inspect — fluoresces under black light (UV light)
    Protects electronics from moisture, corrosion and static discharges
    Easy rework and repairs — can solder through coat or remove with MG Chemicals' thinner/cleaner, thinner 4, or conformal coating stripper
    Container Size 55.0 milliliters
    Dielectric Strength 1000
    Ean 0779008419519 , 0779008419526
    Full Cure Time 24 hours
    Item Weight 1.76 ounces
    Lower Temperature Rating -85 degrees_fahrenheit
    Manufacturer Series Number 419D
    Model Number 419D-55ML
    Numeric Viscosity 100
    Paint Type Acrylic
    Specification Met
    UNSPSC Code 31201600
    UPC 779008419526 , 779008419519
    Upper Temperature Rating 257 degrees_fahrenheit

Data sheet:
    https://www.mgchemicals.com/downloads/tds/tds-419d-l.pdf

Don't reuse brushes.
    You could use the cheap copper solder paste brushes that Home Depot sells for copper pipe soldering.
    Seal the cap well, put in multiple baggies, put in a basement or the coolest place that you have, and keep out of the light (a box is good).

Good Luck!

3. TheLastMojojomo

TheLastMojojomo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes the voltage numbers match at every step in the video in a near 1:1 ratio... even when under high amp load. If you make the video full screen and set resolution to 1080p you will be able to see the numbers accurately match for both Dr. Prius and the Voltmeters... indicating that the Battery ECU is transmitting the correct data. The only other reasonable explanation is that 1 or more of the modules have failed... and high amperage load creates the fail condition... which is why voltage spikes so high.

To further confirm the Battery ECU is working correctly... I checked the pins. No signs of corrosion whatsoever:

20221003_205532[1].jpg

20221003_205425[1].jpg

20221003_205337[1].jpg

20221003_205348[1].jpg

4. TheLastMojojomo

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Also @PriusCamper going back to your earlier post... how can this make sense?

A Battery Module cannot proactively alter what voltage the Battery ECU is transmitting if a short is occurring. The Battery ECU is downstream from the Battery Modules and it only passively detects and transmits voltage readings... The balancing electronics of the Project Lithium Battery Module cannot affect the Battery ECU short in anyway. If the Battery ECU is shorting out and causing bad voltage readings as you stated... an upgraded Version 2.0 Battery Module can't stop the short... The short would occur regardless so the bad voltage readings would still happen and the only solution would be to replace the bad Battery ECU. What you are saying makes no sense.

My assumption would be the voltage balancing electronics in the modules themselves are going to be upgraded because they are the cause of the rare bad voltage readings due to failure. That's the only thing that makes sense. This would also allude to why my Project Lithium Battery has failed... Because the Voltage Balancing electronics in the Modules themselves have fried causing the bad readings I'm getting... and why a version 2 is needed... The Battery ECU seems to have nothing to do with it.

5. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah... Your assumption seems pretty clear... My bias is that both nexcell packs I had this problem with had really bad corrosion and once I cleaned the ecu and replaced the wire frame no.2 with brand new all the symptoms went away. So the problems I faced and problems you face are definitely different as is clear from your lack of a P3000 at this stage.

At some point I'll understand how V1 & V2 of voltage balancing gear works and will better be able to explain it to hopefully no one because this problem has been dealt with.

Side note: Because you're a rural mail carrier using your own vehicle you're someone who knows about the overuse of mechanical brakes which is all you got below 6mph. In threads in the past we've talked about how Prius has an undersized brake system for your particular use case and I'm wondering how often you've had to replace your brakes?

TheLastMojojomo likes this.
  6. TheLastMojojomo

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's hard to say for certain honestly. A large portion of my braking is done from 60-0... so the regenerative braking takes a lot of the brake load instead of the actual pads... which don't engage until about 6-7mph as you said.

I'd say on average between 20,000-40,000 miles I need brake pad replacements. not all of those miles are explicitly route miles though and there are other factors that will contribute to the wear..

I tried drilled and slotted rotors on both my mail route vehicles recently which absolutely ate my brakes in less than 10,000 miles. Never using them again and went back to regular rotors.

ABS can engage rather frequently too depending on how aggressive I'm driving engaging the friction brakes more often causing increased wear.

Also over the past 3 years my OEM NiMh Hybrid Battery heats up much easier... which significantly throttles regenerative braking as it warms up. If it's 80°f+ out my Hybrid Battery will be at 125°F+ all day and regenerative braking is scaled back to almost being non-existent at that point so it basically becomes a friction brake car only at these temps.

Also minor update to the thread in general. In the meantime I've thrown my old NiMh Cells back into my Prius. Everything is working great with them.

My old OEM cells really do heat up much more significantly compared to what I experienced with Project Lithium.

For the mail route I did the other day In 55°F ambient temps, the Hybrid Battery Temps liked to hang around 120°F for my oem cells... which throttles regenerative braking to about 2/3rds of maximum.

With the Project Lithium Battery at 60°F+ ambient temps the Battery did not go above 104°F at all for almost the entire day... and this was doing maximum regenerative braking repeatedly over and over. It really was an improvement except for the fact it failed on day 3! The low Internal Resistance was amazing.

I'm hoping my new Project Lithium Battery that arrives this Tuesday can hold up to the stress of the mail route!

#26 TheLastMojojomo, Oct 9, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
  7. TheLastMojojomo

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Update 10/14/22
    I installed the replacement Lithium Pack on 10/12. So far it is working perfectly with over 150 easy miles on the clock.

I will be taking it on a mail route today for the 1st time. Hopefully it holds up. I will be recording everything.

I also recorded video of the install but have not had time to edit it yet. Everything is going to be documented in case it fails again.

#27 TheLastMojojomo, Oct 14, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
    PriusCamper and Roqu3 like this.
  8. TheLastMojojomo

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well another update for today.

The new Project Lithium Battery performed flawlessly on the route. At this point I'm hopeful the previous failure was a fluke. But I'm going to continue to record data over next several mail routes. If everything continues to work correctly I'll be hoping I'm in the clear.

But I have a lingering feeling what was 3-days before might be 3 weeks, 3 months, or 3 years. Only time will tell. I will continue to update this thread periodically and continue to abuse my Project Lithium Battery on mail routes during that time.

johnerh and PriusCamper like this.
  9. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Two years in with both prototype Gen2 and Gen3 packs and all is still well... Hope the same and many more years beyond is true for you too!

johnerh likes this.
  10. jacktheripper

jacktheripper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thank you @TheLastMojojomo ! sorry about the issue with the original pack, we will do a full investigation and send you a report, have a good weekend ahead.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sure beats what's happening over at 'newpriusbatteries.com'

whiterice781, johnerh and alftoy like this.
  12. Hotrod325

Hotrod325 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Jack actually fails to mention anything about the KNOWN corrosion problem with the ECU and the ECU harness wire terminals. I had two blades go bad within a month. Jack sent me back 2 used blades as replacement which voids his own written warranty. I have email to prove they have damage on them from him. When are the Blades he sent me wasn’t the one I needed with terminals on the opposite side as well. He states he didn’t have that in stock Then he promises to refund my money minus $50 shipping, If I send them all back. I sent them all back (packed very well) and he came out with excuses justifying giving me less than half of what I spent back. I have emails photos and video of all the corresponding and installation. This whole mess is on Jack- nothing about corrosion it in the installation instructions. I’ve posted all this on a couple Facebook groups will continue to post to protect unaware customers. This is been a huge waste of my time. I’ve ripped my car apart multiple times. tried draining, balancing his mess. This is not how you treat customers Nexpower energy, Inc. Project Lithium, whatever…✌

Attached Files:

13. Hotrod325

Hotrod325 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My dad was a retired Mailman. I feel your pain I also experienced catastrophic failure immediately. It’s all due to non-corrosion issues not being mentioned with the ECU and ECU wire harness. You did nothing wrong. We paid top dollar for a product that isn’t back by customer service and awareness in how they are operating their business.

14. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Got any links to that? Haven't heard about it yet?

15. TheLastMojojomo

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @Hotrod325 I'm confused.... if the source of your problem is a corroded ECU and wire harness... isn't the problem related to the Wire Harness and ECU then??? Not the Project Lithium Blades?

The fact you're getting a negative voltage reading indicates Battery ECU error... and that is not the fault of the Project Lithium Blades...

Your Project Lithium Battery failure is probably not a consequence of the Battery itself... but rather the corroded Wire Harness and ECU... which is your responsibility. The Project Lithium Blades don't cause the corrosion.

PriusCamper likes this.
  16. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Jack only ships brand new modules that have been tested a one last time before they are shipped. And when you tried to replace the bad modules all kinds of things must of went wrong for you because you gave up and shipped it back for a refund. When Jack got modules back that were damaged in shipping (terminal breakage and multiple case breakage) because you didn't put them back in the boxes they were shipped in and two of the modules were discharged so badly they no longer take a charge, which isn't a symptom of the problem you faced.

Situations like this is why Jack tests every module himself before he ships them so he's certain there's nothing wrong with them.

Because of this Jack offered a partial refund of $1200 which made you so mad that you told 14K people on a Prius Facebook group that jack is a thief and ripped you off causing multiple people who were planning to order to decide not to order. So then when Jack offered you another $800 to de-escalate the situation and asked you to stop attacking NexCell on social media you rejected the offer and continue to attack him. You even bragged to me about how good you felt that people were canceling their purchase plans.

I even offered to drive to you personally and install the newest nexcell pack I've been driving in my car the past couple months to make this right... But you're more interested in picking a fight than getting your Prius running again. We're doing the best we can to help, yet you continue to be unwilling to work with us.

#36 PriusCamper, Oct 15, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2022
    TheLastMojojomo and johnerh like this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    see the last few pages, plus all the other new prius batteries threads:

page-8

18. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow...

Thanks for that link @bisco ... What a mess! Last Winter 'NewPriusBatteries' guy got so upset about my questioning the details of his doomsaying of Project Lithium he clicked "ignore" on me and he never sees my comments anymore and I guess I returned the favor by not seeing any of his posts/problems anymore? I was blissfully unaware that his business is falling apart. More proof how incredibly hard it is to be a small business startup selling hybrid car batteries.

Hope ya'll realize that and play nice if you ever buy one!

19. Hotrod325

Hotrod325 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I requested that this post be deleted.
    I paid $2250 for battery modules that failed due to ECU corrosion in 1 month. Jack is now adding the very well known ECU corrosion fact to his installation instructions as per this mess. I wasted days of my life. My car is still down torn apart, so yeah, I was pissed. The whole thing was a fiasco, I packed the blades all very well. None of them were damaged by me. y’all act like you know everything so just stop and I message you back twice Deane you never got back to me. And no, I wasn’t happy that people weren’t buying from. I was just simply saying I told Jack that I’m going to do this if you don’t honor your word.

20. Hotrod325

Hotrod325 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What a lame forum site. You can’t edit or delete your own add whatever.