1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I Think My Project Lithium Battery Failed After 3-days.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TheLastMojojomo, Sep 30, 2022.

1. TheLastMojojomo

TheLastMojojomo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    But the root cause of the failure is not the Project Lithium Battery Modules... it's the Battery ECU...

If you put your Prius in Neutral with the AC on and let it roll through the carwash and drained your new Project Lithium Battery to empty as a result... would you blame Jack for failing to instruct you on not letting the Project Lithium Battery get too low on charge causing the failure??? No.

Jack does talk about Battery ECU failure causing Battery Blade failure at 8:15 in this video:

I verified in a post on this thread that I did not have a corroded Battery ECU and it is not responsible for the failure. Jack has been nothing but great to work with and has answered every question I have promptly and in a kind manner. He sent me a new pack for free.

My old pack is shipped back out packed exactly as I recieved it.

My experience has been the complete opposite of yours and that leads me to believe this whole debacle you have yourself in now is more on you on not Jack.

2. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Good luck on your hunt for your next replacement/refurb battery.:D

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm going to start by stating that I have no dog in this fight.
    I want to make sure some more facts get thrown out for the discussion about this "well know corrosion issue", as I have several dozen of these wire harnesses and ECUs sitting in the shop.

@Hotrod325 shows a problem with blocks 9 and 10, which on a Gen 2 is modules 17, 18, 19 and 20 from the non-ecu end of the pack. The safety switch connects between modules 19 and 20.

My experience has been that the corrosion affects the pins connected to the negative terminals of module 1, module 5, module 9 and sometimes module 13. (basically ground, block 2, 4, 6) The most serious damage is always modules 1 and 5, sometimes even with the pins corroding off or self-destruction in a flashover.

Now, if this new battery pack uses the same sensor harness as the original battery pack, I'm curious about how we jump to the conclusion that the Block 9 and 10 failure (modules 17-20) is from harness or ecu corrosion. If this were the case, I would expect the corrosion on the pins connected to modules 1 and 5 (minimum) to be so severe that they wouldn't indicate properly, yet they are.

#43 TMR-JWAP, Oct 16, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
  4. Hotrod325

Hotrod325 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would’ve loved to have ran the lithium batteries. Unfortunately, nobody told me to watch a smart video. Nor was anything in the installation instructions to check for corrosion in the ECU and ECU harness. I had pretty good corrosion inside the ECU port, and on the end of some of the wire terminals. Had this been mentioned to look for, I could’ve alleviated this whole disaster. But some of you seem to know everything out there. As if I did something wrong. So my car is all ripped apart and I lost days in my life and hundreds of dollars. Bought special chargers and dischargers. Tried to drain balance/charge the modules as per Jack.
    People think it’s funny when it happens to someone else.

Attached Files:

5. Hotrod325

Hotrod325 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, this forum is a joke. Can’t edit delete and we’re in the heck is the monitor for this forum? I asked to delete the post a day ago.
    If you’re not going to do your job- give us the option to control our posts!
    That was “f**ing video” btw - site auto changed it to “smart”.

6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Typically, you can edit a post for several hours after posting. I don't remember the exact length of time.

I'm just interested in getting an explanation as to how it was determined the corrosion was the culprit for 9 and 10 failing.

Just going by your photos and my experience with the corrosion, the "common" corrosion causing a problem with blocks 9 and 10 modules would be like me saying the radiator fell out of my truck because I have rust on the tailgate.

7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'll have to adjust my previous posts a bit.

About an hour ago, I pulled apart a core battery I received this week in exchange for one of my rebuilt batteries. This is actually a rebuilt battery the guy got from someone on Craigslist from the Raliegh area. It's painted black and has "warranty void if" stickers in a few places on the inside. Has a QR code with a couple numbers on it. Scanning it provides a web address of installaprt.com Wonder who rebuilt it? IDK, but it may be the worst battery ever..... Had to pry the wire harness plug out of the ecu socket and a couple pins came out with it. 50% of the pins are corroded. But, this is at the extreme end of "common corrosion" because this is certainly NOT common. With this much difficulty separating the components, it's blatantly obvious there's a problem and some things are going to need to be replaced. This wouldn't slip by anyone un-noticed.

That QR sticker has these numbers on it:
    201602255H69585 (wonder if this is 02/25/2016)
    5H4002
    INSPECTED BY
    IP18327
    REMFG

8. Plaman

Plaman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    That is a feature to the forum so people are held accountable for the original communication of their message. It would be too easy for a bad actor to go back and "change what they said" when additional forum posters prove them wrong.

Honestly man, it sounds like this iteration of these battery swaps is not for you. This is a detailed process with many variables, including trial and error. Jack has no control over the condition of your wiring harness / ECU and from what I've been reading, it is often dependent on humidity, climate, geography, and a number of other factors. i.e. Do your roof weld seams leak, etc.

It's literally called PROJECT Lithium.com, ha! I think Jack has made incredible strides to produce a unit that is affordable and reliable but we are definitely all learning together, and for me, that is the best part. As the project continues to evolve, so will the price point. I think for this level of R&D, build quality, and safety-the selling price is a great value.

Holding these guys hostage on the internet does not serve anyone at all. You are literally suppressing the progress of this technology because you ran into some difficulty with a DIY battery swap. Honestly man, you probably shouldn't be messing with these levels of electricity, you are risking your life! If you're having trouble making your kit work, reach out to somebody. Let's all work together.

End rant. Maybe reconsider some of the options that PriusCamper offered you, don't cheat yourself out of an awesome upgrade because we are on the cutting edge of what is possible.

TheLastMojojomo likes this.
  9. TheLastMojojomo

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Update: 11/13/2020
    The 2nd Project Lithium Battery continues to behave flawlessly after over 2,000 Miles. I am a believer now. Despite my initial skepticism... the first failure appears to have been a fluke.

Jack sent me his analysis of the 1st Project Lithium Battery failure after shipping it back to him. Here is what he said:
    Hi Joe,

As promised, I’ve finished the full analysis with the failure pack and I believe I have found the root cause, here is my analysis:

• Total of blades: 14
      • Damaged blades: #7, 8, #9, #11, #13, #14
      • Blades in good condition: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #10, #12
    At first glance it looks like #13 and #14 are the culprit, however after a full cycle test on all 14 blades, #7 stands out due to it’s first lithium cell has a much lower voltage constantly (see below 2nd picture). This is what we call a SD cell (self-discharge cell) that constantly losing its power.

I believe what happened was #7 blade losing its voltage, your Prius see the delta voltage over 1.2v and decided to charge up the whole pack in hope that the #7 can recover and balance itself, unfortunately that #7 continue to lose power and trigger more and more charging cycle and eventually overcharging blade #7, 8, 11, 13, 14 following by the error code. The #13 and #14 are merely the victim and #7 is the defective bastard that causing the chain reaction.

Best Regards,

Jack

unnamed.png

unnamed.png

Jack has offered nothing but integrity and grace dealing with my initial Battery Pack failure. Even if your Project Lithium pack does fail... His customer service is top notch, and he will ensure whatever issue you have is taken care of. Thanks again @jacktheripper!

I Also Have Uploaded Two Videos to Verify That Everything was Installed and is Functioning Correctly.

Video 1:
    2nd Project Lithium Install in Less Than 10 Minutes

Video 2:
    Project Lithium Battery being used on Mail Route with Dr. Prius Overlay

You can see the Project Lithium Battery was installed correctly and is performing flawlessly. Here's to hoping I get another 10 years and 100,000 miles out of my Gen 2 Prius with Project Lithium! :)

10. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I believe what happened was #7 blade losing its voltage, your Prius see the delta voltage over 1.2v and decided to charge up the whole pack in hope that the #7 can recover and balance itself, unfortunately that #7 continue to lose power and trigger more and more charging cycle and eventually overcharging blade #7, 8, 11, 13, 14 following by the error code. The #13 and #14 are merely the victim and #7 is the defective bastard that causing the chain reaction.

That is interesting.

TheLastMojojomo and douglasjre like this.
  11. Roqu3

Roqu3 Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    :eek: how can you drive like that? I mean from the front passenger seat? do you have another set of pedals on that side? looks crazy, nice installation video.

TheLastMojojomo likes this.
  12. johnerh

johnerh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Whaaaat??? A delta of 1.2 is bad??? Some of my blades have a delta of 2.3

13. TheLastMojojomo

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    douglasjre, alftoy and Roqu3 like this.
  14. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I grew up in New York City learned how to ride bicycles here at 10 years old and I can split traffic with a bicycle or a motorcycle and I can walk and chew gum at the same time. I learned to ride a motorcycle here too. For several years I raced motorcycles in the championship cup series. I've driven with a broken right leg. I just use my left leg. I've driven from the right seat. I've ridden a motorcycle while sitting on it backwards. And yes I was the one driving it. It's easy as heck. You and I have these skills. I can also talk on the phone and operate a car safely. But others cannot do these things. And my caution to you is that there are a lot of people on this forum who cannot walk and chew gum at the same time and are going to yell at you if they see you talk on the phone or drive from the right seat. I'm on your side and driving is stupid easy and you and I are safe. But people without skills or with low IQ are going to call you and I dangerous. My advice would be take down your YouTube video or else block the people who yell at you just as I do

#54 douglasjre, Nov 15, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
  15. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Driving a private vehicle from the passenger side while a USPS delivery person is something they're actually trained to do.
    It's part of the orientation training period for Rural Carriers/RCAs and is 100% legal while going to work, performing the route, and returning home.

My wife was an RCA for a while before she became a regular, but I never let her do the passenger side thing. I originally purchased and semi-restored a 1975 RHD mail jeep for her to use. Eventually got to be too much, having no AC, so we picked up an OEM RHD 1995 Jeep Cherokee. Once she became a regular, she moved to having a normal PO delivery LLV vehicle. I drove the RHD Jeep for a while and then we sold it to one of her fellow carriers. I still miss that jeep. 4WD and RHD. fun fun fun!!

#55 TMR-JWAP, Nov 15, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
    Roqu3 and douglasjre like this.
  16. Mpdcnva

Mpdcnva Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I find it interesting that this guy has NO batteries for sale. Out of stock. Or out of business?

17. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    He is out of stock because he is in business.

Pre orders available soon.

Https://projectlithium.com/?ref=mG0GE

Newer casing on v2 latest release will have better venting on bottom of modules.

jzchen likes this.