1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I think she's done

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by KuhlThing, Jul 7, 2019.

1. KuhlThing

KuhlThing New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have a very high mileage (280k miles) 2010 Prius. I'm less than $1k from paying it off, but the problems are mounting. The passenger door doesn't lock, the EGRF system has insufficient flow, one or two cylinders are misfiring, and now the engine shakes at low acceleration and idle. I did replace the hybrid battery with a refurbished one last year. Shop estimated about $3000 in repairs to fix everything Is this thing worth selling or should I just see what Carfax is willing to give me for it? Would it be reasonable to try and sell it for the $800 I need to pay it off or am I going to have to just cut my losses here?

2. mikey_t

mikey_t Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you're handy you can spend a weekend cleaning the EGR system out and see if that clears up the issues with flow, misfires, and shaking. How's your coolant level? If you're burning coolant than I'd say trade it in for somethig newer. If not and you really like your car, maybe worth a shot to clean the carbon out of the EGR and see what happens. If it resolves the shaking and misfiring, I'd run a can of BG 44K through the gas tank and at your next oil change do a engine clean with BG EPR and then another can of 44K. Add BG MOA if you're also burning oil.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    see if you can come close to break even and move on, but try not to go upside down again on an old car.

is the hybrid battery new oem or rebuilt?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. KuhlThing

KuhlThing New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I got the battery from Green Bean. All I know is that it's refurbished. I have a couple of people interested already My wife and I are about to move and go down to one car, so I was getting rid of the Prius anyway. This is just going to knock the price down a bit.

bisco and mikey_t like this.
  5. KuhlThing

KuhlThing New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'm not handy, but I will try the BG 44K tomorrow. I work like 60 hours a week and am preparing to move, so I don't really have time to spend on a car I was already about to sell.

I do appreciate the advice from both of you.

6. Eonflux

Eonflux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    At that mileage, your egr is completely gunked up. Watch the nutzandbolts video on youtube how to clean the egr. I would spend the weekend and clean the entire egr assembly, egr pipe, throttle body, and intake manifold. At the same time do an oil change, and new engine air filter. Im sure it will clear up your problem. People are reporting being completely gunked up after 100k.

KuhlThing likes this.