1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I think the fuel pump on my 2006 prius is dying, whats the best way to find the tank part?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by gavinsprius, Sep 6, 2022.

1. gavinsprius

gavinsprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    whats the best way to find a replacement fuel tank? I've ran my tank dry a few times this year and damaged the pump, today I felt the acceleration was even worse than usual, I tried to restart my car and it completely gave up until a dozen more restarts got the engine running again. I keep seeing you need a whole new tank, whats the best way to find one without shelling out 1.5k on ebay, or 2000 from the dealer? Or is there actually a way to replace only the pump inside the tank?

#1 gavinsprius, Sep 6, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
  2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

How many miles on the 2006?
    Could've sworn they were half that a few years ago. Linked is one for 1310++, and you may find it for less if you continue searching around the web : 77001-47090 Genuine Toyota Tank Assy, Fuel

Gen2 tanks/pumps rarely fail, see if you can find a used one locally : http://www.car-part.com/

FYI : you're moderated until you've posted 5 times.

3. gavinsprius

gavinsprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I actually found a salvaged fuel tank for $60 thats local pickup only 2 hours away from where we're going to vactioning this week, but my dad doesnt want to go get it because he thinks its going to stink like gas on the long road trip back or ruin the rentals interior. Do you think its possible to transport a whole tank in a sedan and also wrap it up enough to not stink?

SFO likes this.
  4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pretty sure all yards have to drain all of the fluids from a vehicle, so I would imagine it wouldn't stink much, if at all.
    Contractor bags or plastic moving/furniture wrap should work on a dirty or stinky tank assembly, but first lay down some flattened cardboard.

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you're really worried, rent a u-haul pickup truck. I've done it a few times and they're not very expensive.

If using your car or a rental, try to get a 4 door. Bring 2 long ratchet straps (if car doesn't have luggage racks, they need to be able to encircle the car roof). Wrap the tank in a blanket and plastic. Bring a roll of duct tape to wrap the hell out of it to keep the plastic and blanket in place. Put it on the roof, use 2 ratchet straps to lock it down. If no luggage racks, I pass the straps through the door openings (with the doors open) and lock it down (with the ratchet part inside the car). The doors will close just fine, even with the strap passing through. No damage to the rubber door seals, because the seals are on the doors, not the car body.

Other option is to look on Craigslist for someone parting out a Gen 2.

#5 TMR-JWAP, Sep 6, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
  6. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Have you hooked up a fuel pressure gauge to see if the pump really can't do its job? If pressure is low (& the tank isn't empty) you might want to test power and ground to the pump connector.
    Pump can't work properly if it don't have enough electricity.

Could be your pump is bad, or could be lots of other things. If I am going to fire the parts cannon at a problem, I try to aim it as best I can by doing some testing first.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.