1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I think we need a Prius expert

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jamarimutt, Jul 11, 2004.

1. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    if computer companies and even software have tech support, why can't toyota have one for the prius? :mrgreen:

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    because they want us to just drive it, and stop asking all these questions. They want to market the car as a regular car that gets great mileage and doesn't pollute as much, not as a techno-geek's space toy.

3. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

But the Prius is a techno-geek's space toy! It has four computers and a touch screen display. It would be nice to have someone from the factory participate in this forum and provide feedback on the more technical questions and/or misconceptions.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    in the time that ive been here, i cant really remember many issues that were not answered by someone here.

in fact, my dealership admitted that they frequently cruise the forums and at times use some of the info found here. (he also admitted that the dealership has a no partisan policy concerning many thing issues about the Prius as they are encouraged to adhere to Toyota's policies regarding hybrid operation which is something that many members here DO NOT do and for that reason are hesistant to recommend the forum to customers)

there is an old but well known saying that i think a reminder might be appropriate here and that is that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

5. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

All the issues have indeed been answered, but some have been answered more by guessing than by an authorative reply from someone qualified to provide such a reply. Here are just four examples:

1. Will coasting in neutral do any harm to the transmission?
    2. What is the real capacity of the fuel tank?
    3. Will high tire pressures (e.g., 42/40) compromise safety?
    4. Will the use of high octane gasoline and synthetic oil improve in any way the car's performance and durability?

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any Prius Expert (i.e. someone employed by Toyota as part of the Prius team) would be compelled to answer the questions as follows:

1)It is not recommended that you use neutral while the car is in motion
    2)As stated in the Prius literature it is 11.9 US gallons. They may go on to elaborate about expansion/contraction of the bladder and the amount of reserve, but others here have done that previously.
    3)Toyota recommends 35/33 for the Prius....no way in hell they're gonna stick they're neck out with anything different.
    4)Again, you'll get the "Toyota recommends" response.

Technical details someone would like you're talking about would be great...i.e. "Please explain the functions and triggers for the 4 different phases of hybrid operation in the Prius." But for anything outside of the 'pat' Toyota recommendations for maintainence and such and we're on our own. Unless someone from the Prius team moves on and comes here for 'fun' to share advice AND they're not limited in what they're allowed to say by a restrictive covenant in they're contract we'll likely never get an 'authoratative answer to those kinds of questions.

7. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

it has 14 computers

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    funny about that 35/33 tire pressure thing.

when i got my car mine was 38.5/36.5 and i use a digital gauge that is recalibrated before every use.

also as far as im concerned most of the questions mentioned were answered and i wouldnt call statements made from first hand experience "guesses"

if you think that Toyota engineers have not learned something from this forum and other Prius owners, i be willing to bet you be wrong.

and also on the neutral thing. there were a lot of people trying to rationalize right or wrong of it without knowing anything at all other than how other vehicles they have owned worked.

Well Toyota doesnt mince words when they say not to do it. so it appears that even "experts" would be questioned.

9. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

EXACTLY!!!! Thus, the need for someone from Toyota who can say don't do it because you'll break this or that will wear much faster; or, we recommend that you don't do it for safety reasons, but if you do nothing bad will happen.

I still believe that the administrators of this forum should try to find a Toyota-based Prius expert who's willing to participate in this forum. I have not read a logical reason for not wanting to make such an invitation.

10. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    techno geek toy or not, the bottom line is that it's NOT a conventional car (at the moment anyway). that being the case people would naturally have countless questions. i'm really grateful for all the info i get from the many forums i've been to, but in my doing so, it's always been in the back of my mind that toyota does not officially address many of the issues we discuss. it's great that we have a community, but toyota must also be active. at least have an official FAQs addressing the various prius issues on their website. :|

11. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Yes, it would certainly be nice to have a technical representative from Toyota posting here.

That said, I'd say the average for knowledgable postings of technical information is way above average on PriusChat already -- thanks to people like mdacmeis, htmlspinnr, and others who post here frequently.

They have a lot of technical knowledge in this area -- more than average for enthusiasts. Combined with the ability to clearly describe intricate issues, and the care they put into delineating between what they know and what they don't know, they are resources that any Prius discussion group would be lucky to have.

Basically, I just want to take the time to say Thank You