1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I think we're going solar

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by jerrymildred, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Very good, I just wanted to make sure you had done due diligence. Sounds like you most definitely have (y)
    Many people are dismissive of solar in northern latitudes. That alone though, is not a reason to dismiss solar.
    In Minneapolis, solar works as well as it does in Miami.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    These estimates must include local weather history, and should include adjustments for any tree shade interference, so should be specific to a particular location. That is why Jerry is projected to get 1.46kWh/W of annual production, but you get just 1.15, Salamander is projected to get 1.0, and I get a measly 0.89 due to Seattle-area winter cloudcover and several neighbors' trees.

But I did it anyway, to put my money where my mouth is. It is well on track to paying back, it will just take longer than for folks with more favorable conditions.
    Do beware the specialness of the quoted timeframes. E.g. shift them to 21 and 13 years, and the annualized rates become dramatically different. Every now and then, we get decade-long timeframes where the indexes mostly just tread water, and those 8% expectations turn into a pipedream.

A problem with these simple ROI calculations is that they completely ignore one's contribution towards addressing AGW / CC.

Zythryn likes this.
  3. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Jerry - Congrats on things working out for you so well. I think you're going to be thrilled with the new roof and panels once everything is installed and working.

I'd have to pull out the details on our solar system but we've been extremely happy with it. Living in the desert southwest means lots of sunlight. We were limited as to what we could originally install because the energy companies were faced with the dilemma of being forced to buy the excess energy at a rate higher than what they could purchase elsewhere. The amount allowed was based on the average home of this size in this area. We don't have a hot tub or pool, keep the thermostat at 80*F in the summer, replaced every bulb in the place with LEDs, have a gas water heater, stove and furnace, etc. so we knew we were already going to be banking energy at the amount they allowed.

We just completed our first year with the system. Starting in January, we hadn't banked enough to totally offset the 115*F heat of August so our bill went up to a whopping $35. Other than that we've been paying $3-$13 a month to be hooked up to the grid. Adding October through January to this year's winter's bank should mean we won't see a bill over $13-20 for the foreseeable future. Beats the heck out of our neighbors and their $300-500 summer electric bills.

We can add panels at our own expense now should we decide to put in a hot tub, pool, sauna, etc. We just won't be able to claim the government credits. We're perfectly ok with that.

Merkey and jerrymildred like this.
  4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow! Lots of comments & questions. Thanks for the interest and advice, everyone. I'll try to catch all the questions in one post.

It is grid tied. I'll still have to pay the monthly $11.40 mentioned in post #5.

Sounds about right. I used this website for preliminary calculations. 2021 Solar Panel Costs | Average Installation Cost Calculator. It turned out to be pessimistic on number of panels and total cost for me. I think I used 250 watts/panel with the website. What I'm getting is 340 watts/panel. So only 20 panels needed vs the 28-30 I was guesstimating.

Up front loan is $22,594 if we put nothing down. After the $5,874 tax credit, the final cost is $16,720. At least that's what it looks like now. We haven't signed anything official yet. Probably next week. And the shingles are a separate cost, but we also get a tax credit for them.

Same here. Once a year, as I understand it, Duke buys back any excess production, but only pays 30 cents on the dollar. So the more excess you make, the more equipment cost you waste. Being very modular, this system is pretty simple to add to. In fact, each panel has its own micro inverter so if one goes bad, just unplug the panel a start it back up while you wait for the replacement.

[edited to add back stuff that mysteriously disappeared.]

#24 jerrymildred, Feb 6, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    srellim234 and Salamander_King like this.
  5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I really wanted the solar to work in our favor, but at the current price, it is still too expensive. Looking back and comparing past quotes, in just three years, the cost of PV installation dropped from $3.7/watt to $2.5/watt. I am waiting for the cost to hit $1/watt. Alternatively, I may invest less money in a smaller system and DIY install to bring the upfront cost low.

Yes, to that end, I have been paying extra fees to the utility to get 100% renewable energy source, and I have signed up for the community solar which is to become operational sometime later this year. The community solar project share is easy and saves money (15% discount on utility bill) and no upfront money or installation of PV panel on my roof.

I am not so sure about the dramatically different rate of returns over the span of 10 years. Yes, there have been some years of low or negative productivity, most recently in the 2008-2009 financial crisis which is your comment of 13 years ago, but overall the market has performed better prior to that crush especially at your comment of 20 years ago (2000-2001) which IIRC is the period of .com bubble burst.
    upload_2021-2-6_14-31-13.png

#25 Salamander_King, Feb 6, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That does make for a bulletproof excuse. :)
    I haven't used that estimator. Back in my day, I did use an old NREL estimator, since replaced by an updated version.

Do note that those Enphase IQ7 inverters have a maximum continuous output of just 240 VA (or 250 peak), so will be clipping under peak conditions (max sun at solar noon on crystal clear cool late spring days). The IQ7Plus models can put out 290 VA, so will clip less often. This is a normal equipment cost tradeoff (do you want to put your last dollars into paying for bigger inverters to handle the rare peak power of the panels, or put that money into more silicon for greater collection during more common non-peak conditions?). I hope that the estimating package takes separate inputs for the inverter capacity and the panel's rated output, so that the tradeoff can be properly quantified.

I have older Enphase microinverters (M215 on first and second phases, M250 on the third), and have been very happy with them. The panels were in the 265-285W range, each phase different based on then-available pricing and supply.

Supposedly, my excess not used within a year reverts to the public utility as a free gift to them, but their billing system has been changing and remains somewhat under featured and opaque, not (yet) showing how much net metering credit is banked. I won't be getting better detail unless or until dropping below net-zero, which hopefully won't happen until acquiring a plug-in car. Which will be my excuse to add a few more panels.

I intentionally aimed for a bit of excess capacity to cover panel aging, tree growth, weather variations, and some minor load growth or less diligent conservation without breaking below net-zero and losing bragging rights. Folks aiming for maximum payback should aim a bit lower to reduce the 'wastage' of having to give away some free or below-cost energy.

#26 fuzzy1, Feb 7, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    srellim234 and jerrymildred like this.
  7. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You inspired me to look it up. You are right. But I think the clipping would be rare enough that the extra cost of the Plus model (or even something bigger) would not be worth it. I think the Plus is about $20 more so that would be $400 extra to squeeze out a few more watts during the short time that the sun passes perpendicular to the panels on a cloudless day.

I have to say, I'm getting pretty excited about this and can hardly wait to have them put in. But I know it'll take a couple months.

MMBH, donbright, fuzzy1 and 1 other person like this.
  8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm exited for you!

Hurricane plan?

srellim234 and jerrymildred like this.
  9. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Leave if it looks too ugly. As for power outages, I have a 1,000 watt inverter I can power off the 12V to keep the fridge, a fan, and a few lights running at night. I do like how the PV system will give us juice in the daytime. It's been remarkable how this area has been spared over the years from lengthy outages or severe damage. The law of averages has to catch up with us eventually, I'd think.

MMBH likes this.
  10. Merkey

Merkey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does installation of a solar system affect the warranty on a new roof? I assume you have to drill holes, etc. to anchor the solar frame.

11. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't think so. Same general contractor is in charge of both. Sewer vents, exhaust vents, etc. don't seem to affect the warranty. It's simply a matter of, is the leak at a penetration or somewhere else. The shingle warranty covers the shingles, not the installation.

Merkey likes this.
  12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ideally, the roofer and the solar installer will work this together. Or have the solar rack mounts installed as part of the roofing process. (A neighbor did this, but hasn't yet progressed to installing the solar, so has had naked rack attach points poking up for several years.)

I chose standing seam steel roofing, for which the racks are clamped to the seams with no penetrations. With extra mounting brackets for the roofing in that area, to address the increased wind loading caused by the solar panels. This choice was so that if we stay here for life, we won't have to deal with a roof needing replacement beneath a functioning solar system.

donbright, jerrymildred and Merkey like this.
  13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ... a cloudless cold! day. Most otherwise great production days will be warm, with the panels running hot on the roof in the direct sun. Thanks to silicon's negative temperature coefficient, power output will be quite noticeably lower than their standard rating, which is for a cell temperature of 25C.

I think clipping will be somewhat common, more so on yours than on mine due to your larger gap between panel and inverter ratings. But just know that it happens, and is an intentional part of design for a finite budget. It is meant to get the greatest total return for a particular budget. A no-clipping design would be buying a bunch of rarely used inverter capacity, when that money might be better spent on the next smaller inverter and next larger solar panel when that combination can harvest more total annual energy over the local distribution of conditions.

That larger gap between component specs on your proposed system, vs what was normal when I built mine, jumped out at me. But on reflection, that makes sense because panel $/watt has dropped substantially since I was buying, but inverter prices less so. That shifts the tradeoff balance point or range. A truly rigorous cost analysis would change every time a possible component price changed (weekly? thrice weekly?), and would probably entail much more labor cost alone than that $400 inverter upgrade cost. Nobody does this for just a single household-sized system, instead use guidelines based on recent market conditions.

This does raise a lot of excitement. Hopefully permitting delays will not be long, as Jimbo and some others experienced.

Doing it DIY, I had the off-roof wiring done before the roofers completed that section of roof, then had the system (6-panel starter system) energized for testing late my second roof-work day, using an electric meter borrowed from the submeter base tracking the heat pump water heater. Then I simply didn't shut it down, but left it running and producing while waiting for official inspections. The regular electrical inspector arrived a couple days later, the utility's inspector / production-meter-installer several weeks later. Neither had any problem seeing the system (provisionally) on-line already. The utility's incentive paperwork even had a line for energy produced during this delay, so this was clearly expected.

jerrymildred likes this.
  14. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Progress! The loan company did a soft credit check and approved us for a loan of up to $100,000. Like I'd want to oblige myself to pay back that much! LOL!

Anyway. Paperwork is on its way to me. So, moving right along.

srellim234 and Prodigyplace like this.
  15. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    More progress. There was a slight typo on the estimate. The cost per kWh now comes to 8.7 cents over the 25 year warranty rather than the 9.5 it had been. That's compared to my present 11.2 cents.

And they managed to find room for all the panels on the most productive part of the roof.
    PV panel layout .jpg

MMBH, ETC(SS), donbright and 4 others like this.
  16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    that gave me a memory bite ... once commissioned - going out to the (old fashion back at that time, mechanical) kWh meter and just watching it run backward - all winter, into summer. my middle name ought'a be, "OCD"
    ;)

17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My new-fashioned digital meter has several bars along the bottom that run forward or backward, as appropriate, so this OCD condition continues.

Though for me, mostly just 3 seasons. On a typical winter day here, it isn't bright enough to run backwards except during infrequent sunbreaks.

jerrymildred likes this.
  18. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Update.

The representative came over today. He took pictures of the roof, the meter area, and the breaker panel area for the installers. Then we went over the paperwork and signed it. (BTW, they spelled our last name right every time from when we first talked to them, so that tells me quite a bit about attention to detail.) We are paying cash for the roofing because they offer about a $1,700 discount for that. We didn't quite have enough in savings so I sold a few shares in our investment account. We wrote a check for most of the shingle cost and will write another one Monday or Tuesday when the stock sale hits the credit union.

Initially, he'd said that Pasco County was really slow with permits. Apparently that has changed. His roofing boss said it's often a matter of hours now.

My chief domestic organizer tells me that she wants to wait till her mom leaves before we start on the roof. That's happening on the 18th of this month, so that ought to give them time to get permits and parts, and to schedule the crews. We should be able to start right away as long as they have crews available. And it sounds like business is slow right now. So, yippee!!

Here's the link to their website, by the way. Solar Contractors in Tampa, Orlando, & Throughout Central Florida

DItto! Sounds like we're both easily entertained.

I went to school for two years in Langley, BC. My first year there, a radio station announced that they had been tracking sunlight hours. They said that for the months of February and April (oops!) March combined, there were 72 hours of sunshine. For a kid from Denver, that was totally depressing!!

#38 jerrymildred, Feb 11, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  19. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Jerry, when you were talking to the individuals did the positioning of the house in relation to the sun ever come up? Our house is situated with the rear facing east and the front facing west. I always wondered if there is an optimum house geographic orientation to maximize solar collection?

jerrymildred likes this.
  20. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Actually, that's probably the first thing they look at. They use a software tool that shows where the best sunlight angle is. My house is ideal. They did some ciphering and figured out how to get all 20 panels on the south side where the sunlight is best, so this picture doesn't show the final arrangement which is shown up in post #35.

Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 2.46.02 PM.png

Besides just the angle of the house, the slope of the roof, and how far north of the equator you are, they also factor in trees and other possible obstructions. At least these guys do. As you can see in this picture, that south facing part of the roof is the sweet spot, so I'm really glad they could get all the panels to fit there.

IIRC, in my case, they said there would be better efficiency with the sun in the west if my house was situated like yours.

John321 likes this.