1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I think we're going solar

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by jerrymildred, Feb 5, 2021.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Denver has an unusual solar blessing. Being at altitude, they get good sun AND cooler altitude weather, which tends to make usual photovoltaics efficiency even higher than expected. A warmer sea-level altitude summer location will bring panel efficiency down as much as 30% - when black panels' temperatures goes up as high as 140°f.

#41 hill, Feb 11, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    jerrymildred likes this.
  2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That reminds me that one of the things they told me is that there's a correlation between the panels' efficiency and the UV index. Not that it's a perfect alignment, but that a high index is an indication that the panels generally will be more productive than with a low UV index.

I can hardly wait to get it installed and start seeing first hand how it performs.

MMBH likes this.
  3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Was that back when you had to take the Albion Ferry to get across the river? There is a nice bridge now. We get through Fort Langley just about every year as part of a major bicycle ride, at least when the border is open. I.e. not last year.

And 72 hours of sunshine in 59 days? For around here (same as there), that wasn't one of the bad years. :LOL:

That makes sense. UV does get converted (even if not very efficiently), and high UV index should correspond very clear atmosphere with little attenuation, thus very strong sun.

MMBH and jerrymildred like this.
  4. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Indeed it was. Whenever we could, we used to take the ferry and ride our bicycles up to Alouette Lake in Golden Ears Provincial Park. Some friends and I climbed Golden Ears a couple times. What a gorgeous place!
    I'd love to get back there with a modern camera. Here's a grainy looking scan of a 110 picture I took when I was there in the early 70s. Looking from campus to Rabbit Ears.
    RabbitEarsFromTWC.jpg

MMBH likes this.
  5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So that is why the large bridge that replaced the ferry is named Golden Ears Bridge!

Not being a local there, I'm not sufficiently familiar with the area, and have too busy watching for or tracking down bikers needing assistance. The railroad tracks across River Road just east of town are the worst rail crossing hazard of the whole event.

6. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just looked at the campus on Google Maps satellite view. Unbelievable how it's grown in the past 50 years!!!

7. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've gone and done it now! I just signed the actual loan agreement. It was pretty simple compared to starting from scratch since it was already approved. But still, that was a ton of verbiage and I admit to kind of skimming parts of it or I'd still be reading it tomorrow morning.

And result is that we'll be waiting at least a week before the roofers show up because Mildred wants to wait till her mom leaves next Friday. Then, hopefully, it will move quickly. We shall see.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It's like running out of gas with her in the car, don't rip the roof off while the MIL is still in the house.

Raytheeagle and jerrymildred like this.
  9. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The irony is that she probably wouldn't even hear it. She's sweet as the day is long and I love her dearly, but yelling everything twice gets tiring. :ROFLMAO: But hey! She's 90 years old and flits around like a sparrow. (y)(y)

MMBH likes this.
  10. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just thought of you since we have been without power since 3:30 due to an ice storm. We are sure grateful for our wood stove for heat and coffee water. :D

Unfortunately no power means no running water from our well.

jerrymildred likes this.
  11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    With a solar install (26% of cost), an energy efficient tankless water heater, ($150) generous donations allowing me to itemize, ($1700 over standard deduction) and a COVID-19 recovery credit* ($1300) I got my actual Federal tax rate under 10%.

The IRS has accepted my return so about April Fools day my bank balance goes up, then about June 21 my state gets around to its refund.

*Based on our 2019 Gross, we were not eligible, but based on our 2020 Gross, we were, so we did not receive the COVID-19 recovery money until filing taxes.

jerrymildred likes this.
  12. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well that no fun!! I think it's probably pretty common to just think about the electricity for lights, but water is really more important. We had a well in Ohio and would be in the same boat with a blackout. Then again, with city water, if the whole grid goes down I don't know if they would have water for the customers. I should ask my nephew about that. He's in charge of the town's water where they live in Iowa.

We haven't started on ours. I think we may need professional help this year because our tax situation got a lot more complicated last year.

13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Many places have water towers for exactly this reason. Especially for firefighting purposes.

#53 fuzzy1, Feb 13, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    Trollbait and jerrymildred like this.
  14. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Duh! (face palm!!) My nephew's town has one. He almost took me up to the top one day when he was showing me around but then thought he might catch grief for it. LOL! I'd have liked to have seen the view from there.

On another topic: I finally thought of it when I had the chance to do it. I measured the slope of our roof. It's 14º. Our latitude is 28º, but I read that the best angle here is about 24º -- so only 14º away from what I assume is perfect. But as I think more about it, it might be closer to perfect than it looks. Our biggest bills are usually in the summer and this angle is better at the summer solstice than the winter.

One more thing. We had a ton of rain this morning when that front came through. 2-1/2" in about three hours or so. We have plastic tile in the back that our downspouts feed into and they take the water to the front to lead it away from the house. The ground around the discharge of one of the drains is covered with shingle sand. Yup! Those shingles are showing their age all right. And that was a serious amount of water coming off the roof to blast that sand out to the front yard and up out of an 8" deep discharge.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "Best" tilt angle to maximize annual energy production is also a function of local climate. E.g. Seattle has severe cloud cover in winter, so it is worthwhile to sacrifice some of the already-minimal winter production by biasing the tilt towards the better summer sun.

A proper solar estimator program will incorporate historic weather data, and seasonal differences in length of day, into its estimate. I ran the NREL estimator version available back then for different tilt angles, and produced this graph for my locality:
    [​IMG]
    My roof has a 5:12 pitch, or 22.6 degrees. Not optimum, but still 97% of optimum (and also better than if tilted by that archaic rule of matching the latitude), so it still made sense to leave the panels flat to the roof for ease of mounting and for controlling wind loading.

Today we had our best in-town ski opportunity in many years:
    ski1.jpg ski2.jpg

As for sand from ancient shingles, I think my sand output was already declining, due to lack of material left to shed. I nursed that old roof probably a ways too long, well past what the neighbors of similar vintage did, with a number of repairs to re-glue loose shingles and replace several that blew off. And regularly cleaning tree debris from the valleys to ensure no water backup to any possible leaks. And replacing several failed rubber jacks around vents, when rain was discovered flowing down the side of one of them. One section of sheathing had to be replaced due to a gutter issue.

#55 fuzzy1, Feb 13, 2021
    jerrymildred likes this.
  16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Or back up power for the pumps.
    Actually had a lot of shingle grit come off when they were new.

jerrymildred likes this.
  17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    #57 fuzzy1, Feb 13, 2021
    jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.
  18. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ah! Snow. I miss it. Except when it starts to thaw and the world turns to brown slush. Then it refreezes into brown bumpy ice. LOL!

I totally get it about the local climate affecting placement and angle -- along with obstructions and other factors. Latitude is the starting point and you adjust from there.

We have the best sunshine in the winter, but obviously have the most daytime in the summer.

Thanks for all the shared experiences everyone. This is fun and helpful.

Speaking of OCD, I have a quarter tank of gas left. I'm wondering if I'll be able to make it last till the solar panels are in use. That way I have a clean break on electricity cost for my mileage spreadsheet. I last bought gas on August 16, so I think my chances are pretty good. :LOL:

@Trollbait, I'm expecting to see the same thing. Lots of loose grit on new shingles.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  19. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Shingles arrived yesterday morning. GAF Timberline HDZ. These guys even took pride in how they stacked the bundles! Roofers are coming Monday. No word yet on how soon after the shingles are done that they'll start the solar part.
    IMG_3007.jpg

IMG_3008.jpg

20. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Still waiting for the permit for the solar. :sleep:

In the meantime, I decided to go ahead and have them replace the flat roofing over the front porch and the lanai & dining area in back. They made me a special deal because they had the insulated panels and roof covering on hand. I didn't want to spend that much now, but doing so saves almost 25% compared to waiting.

And it will be nice to have an insulated ceiling/roof over the dining room. Back in the day, when they made these "bonus rooms" in Florida, they didn't insulate them.

srellim234, John321 and Prodigyplace like this.