1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I think we're going solar

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by jerrymildred, Feb 5, 2021.

1. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very interesting project. Installation looks great. I hope you let us know how much of your electric usage this will take care of when you begin using it full time.

I would love to be able to do something like this myself but the neighborhood tree canopy might be a showstopper for us.

jerrymildred likes this.
  2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When we lived in Ohio, we heated with natural gas. But most came from the wood burning stove which I fueled mostly with cut up oak pallets from work that would have gone to the landfill otherwise.

Here in FL, natural gas is prohibitively expensive. We're all electric.

BTW, I turned on the system before the sun came up this morning to observe the night to day transition. It takes about 300 watts to run itself. So, having it on at night is actually costing money. I wonder if I can someday put in a light detector and relay. Right now the sun is just above the horizon and not yet hitting the panels. But still, all 20 are producing just a little bit. That should change radically once the sun gets a little higher. Unfortunately, we have to leave at 9:00 (about 11-1/2 hours from now) and won't get back till about 1:00. Also, it not predicted to be nearly as sunny today. Yesterday there was never a hint of a cloud.

I'll try to update as the day progresses.
    Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 7.29.23 AM.png

edthefox5 likes this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nice looking install Jerry. Good luck with it watching closely.

Merkey and jerrymildred like this.
  4. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is HIGHLY unlikely. How did you measure this? Are you 100% sure there's not something else hooked up to the same outlet/input? If not, there's an error in the system somewhere.
    Every inverter I have uses absolutely nothing, all processing, converting, measuring, etc is done with power from the sun. Which makes sense, as it doesn't have to do anything as long as it does not have enough solarpower to even start up the 'brain' (plural in your case) of the inverter. My 5500W inverter needs a couple of watts of Solar power to switch ON. During the night it is just dormant.

Edit: I just saw your numbers (pics). Is that where you got the 300W? This seems to be your total house consumption at that moment, resulting in a net draw from the grid of 155W, the rest is supplied by the panels.

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You are right, R-P that my interpretation was wrong. The consumption (307W) that was showing in the web interface was what the whole house was consuming at that time. There are current transformers on the wires from the electric meter to the main breaker. That's what that number is.

I just got back home and turned the system back on. Then I plugged in my Prime on L2 to get ready for another errand. The meter on my L2 outlet reads about 3.6 kW while the car is charging. Here's what the web interface says now:
    Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 1.11.42 PM.png

Almost our entire load is the car's charger and the PV system is producing it. If I unplug the car, the PV production drops. So I think that, until they get the meter replaced to enable net metering, the panels will put out however many watts the house pulls. I'm going to crank down the air conditioner to make more load and see what happens.

BTW, I just got a text that the inspection is scheduled for Monday. Hopefully the electric company will be that quick with the meter once the inspector approves.

R-P likes this.
  6. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And here it is with the house air conditioner and L2 charging at the same time. Sky is mostly clear with high altitude haze and scattered light clouds. Sun is almost directly overhead. The PV panels are not producing all I'm using, but conditions aren't ideal, but it more than keeps up with just the L2 charging. I turned off the air conditioner and left the car plugged in and production and consumption both dropped to 3.85 kW. So, if I had the net metering enabled, I'd be banking electricity even while charging the are as long as the A/C, water heater, or oven aren't running.
    Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 1.26.58 PM.png

edthefox5 and R-P like this.
  7. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think it is neat that you can charge your car up by the solar system. With your plug in that's about as close to being fuel self sufficient for your transportation needs as you can get. As long as you stay within your vehicles range it sounds like you have eliminated the dependency on gas stations as well as providing your own power for charging. Pretty good in my book.

edthefox5 and jerrymildred like this.
  8. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, @John321. I'm charging again now for the 2nd time today AND the water heater is running. Skies are overcast, so the PVs aren't keeping up. But they are helping. Right now, it's putting out 2.37kW still under gray skies. Not fair that we never saw a cloud all day yesterday. LOL!

Edit to add: now it's putting out 4 kW and the water heater is done so no more power coming from the grid now. This is fun to observe, but I'll be glad when it gets unleashed to put power into the grid for use at night.
    Envoy 122052083823.png

#108 jerrymildred, Apr 23, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  9. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had 2 thoughts on this.
    1. With some free smart home software many times you can use software that calculates the times of dawn & dusk for your location and use that information to control the system.
    2. I have some timers that know date, time, timezone, & general area. They then have varying times they ude for dawn & dusk. Again, no light sensor needed. Actually you could use one to activate a relay. Here is what I have used for years. I have 3 of them.

hxxps://http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004TGO6RY

jerrymildred likes this.
  10. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good thinking. But since I was mistaken when I thought I saw a need to take it off line at night, there's no real reason now to automate something like that.I just took a peek at our power use and at that moment it showed 616 watts. That's my wife running her sewing machine and a fan, me on the laptop with an external monitor, a couple LED ceiling lights and various parasites like the TV, clocks, etc.

Also, big news. I got word this afternoon that the inspector is supposed to come sometime on Monday. I sure hope he likes it. :) In the meantime, I let it produce in the daytime even if I can't push any power back into my electrical grid piggy bank. I'm still reducing the electric bill quite a bit since we don't use a whole lot of juice at night anyway.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  11. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So far, it's running great. It keeps up with running the stove, microwave, air conditioner, etc as long as it's reasonably sunny. If I set the car to charge at 8A max, it easily puts out that much. It won't keep up with 16A and the rest of the house, though unless conditions are perfect.

It's surprisingly productive when the sky is cloudy. Yesterday was cloudy all morning and then mostly sunny. I only had to buy 8.73 kWh. My daily average this month prior to the solar panels was 15.57 kWh. If I had the net metering meter in place, I would have produced way more than I needed. Even when the panels are easily keeping up there is still always a few watts coming in from the grid. Here's a shot just now, almost 3PM with the house air conditioner running. So even in that condition, it should make more and bank it in the grid.
    Envoy 122052083823 2.png

The inspection is tomorrow. I took a close look today and saw some cables on the shingles under some panels, so I know that part is going to fail. I fixed a couple myself and then decided I should be patient. If the inspector sees it and makes them come fix it, the company will know their installers need to do a better job.

Electrically, it looks perfect.

One thing has me concerned. Maybe someone who already has panels can speak to this. According to the plans, which I hadn't had available till Thursday night and didn't have time to review until today, there should be 3' clearance between the array and the ridge as well as the eves. This array only has about 9" to the ridge. However, everything I can find online says that the 3' to the ridge can span the ridge and overlap onto the roof plane on the other side of the ridge. That makes sense to me because it still gives the firemen room to ventilate the ridge if the need arrises. So I'm hoping the inspector goes by that rather than the drawing or there will have to be a total reinstall of the panels with relocated rails and supports and abandoned holes in my roof. I won't like that much.

Sometime tomorrow I should learn my fate.

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On my system, I had true net metering the moment I threw the switch. Though that could now be dismissed as an inherent limitation of the old dumb mechanical meters, they couldn't do anything else. Fortunately both the state electrical inspector (arrived two days later, I didn't have it ready in time for next-day service) and the utility inspector / meter installer (a couple weeks later) were not the least bit uptight about things running before they arrived. As long as I had notified them promptly when it was ready.
    There were no mechanical or fire permits or inspections for PV projects in my jurisdiction, and no 3' setback requirement. I was seeing that this was a major issue in some other areas, with certain fire departments allowing only quite small systems on certain multi-segment roofs, wasting most of the potential PV collection area. Many voices were speaking up for modernized fire rules to better mesh with modern Climate Change needs, and several versions were already in place in different areas.

One of the updated versions was applying these setbacks only above sleeping spaces, not non-sleeping. But there are others too, including spanning ridgelines as you mentioned, or requiring the setback along only one vertical edge of a module field, not both. After my projects, I didn't keep up with the continuing debate.

So this will all depend on which track your local permit authorities have chosen.

jerrymildred likes this.
  13. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, @fuzzy1. I was talking this afternoon with a friend who remodels kitchens. He said that those inspectors will sometimes point out something to fix but sign the permit anyway after telling you to make sure to fix it. I have no idea if this inspector is like that or if it's a really strict one, but I should know before supper time tomorrow. LOL!

fuzzy1 and Prodigyplace like this.
  14. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The building inspector stood me up. They said he/she would be here between 7AM & 3PM. I stayed home from work for nuthin'. :mad:

15. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    And you can't yell at them too hard because you need them to be on your good side...:ROFLMAO:

16. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yup. That's the most annoying part.

I just got a call from the installers. They didn't know (how they didn't know, I don't know) that one of their people was supposed to meet the inspector here. But that doesn't explain the inspector not showing up. So anyway, the secretary is trying to schedule one of their techs and the inspector to be here at the same time. She's shooting for this afternoon, but I'm not holding my breath.

Meanwhile, we just ran hot water which turned on the water heater and the solar panels are powering the water heater rather than us having to buy electricity. So it's not all bad. We continue to dribble in 5-60 watts from the electric company while producing almost all we need during the daytime. Since putting them online Friday, with a few episodes of off time, they have produced 43.1 kWh of the total 76.5 kWh we've used in that time.

fuzzy1, edthefox5 and Prodigyplace like this.
  17. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As said, we (the Dutch) can offset useage vs. yield. For now. So the quest is on to search for solutions to use your surplus and lower your useage at night. It is still a field where no one-stop solutions are available. (Bar getting a home-battery which you will never earn back).

I've already instructed my wife to wash during daytime, whereas before we would wash after 11PM as electricity was slightly cheaper then. Next course method might include hooking up the heater of the washing machine to an on/off switch which is controlled by the yield. As long as the water isn't up to temperature (because the heater is not working) it would simply wait for that to happen. But if a washing machine already had some kind of communication protocol in place to do this, this would make everything sooooo much easier.
    One other thing is e.g. switching OFF the freezer at night (supposedly it has a 24hr 'staying-cool'capacity when not opened).

Victron (Dutch company, very well known in marine industry) does make an inverter that works like a UPS: you input gridpower, it charges batteries and when the grid goes down, it continues the output by using the batteries. BUT it can also use solar-inverter-power on its secondary side: it will charge its batteries and feed all users with the solar-inverter-supplied 230/240V first before using gridpower, and continues doing this when the grid is down. Good first step, but when the batteries are full and the load of your house is too small, it increases the frequency of its own inverter (necessary for the solar-inverter to synchronise to) so the solar-inverter shuts down. This is a globally accepted method of making it shut down (as is e.g. a 10% increase in gridvoltage (at least it is in NL), so when too many inverters are pushing back power into the grid, the voltage goes up and eventually one-by-one the solar-inverters will shut down).

Other solutions include H2 production, glowing articles in the newspaper that they can even store it for the winter. Simple math a 10 year old can do, shows that the H2 tank is empty in 5 days in a cloudy winter week but journalists aren't as crtical as they used to be... Batteries then? Perfect for night time, but not for summer-winter problems.

But as long as you (Floridians + rest of USA?) can simply offset useage against yield, you don't have to be bothered by such ramblings unless you read this far and had to endure mine...

And Florida has the huge advantage that summer-winter difference will be far less than mine!

BTW, heard this week that in Spain (similar sunshine hours to Florida I think) you PAY when you feed into the grid... As far as I know, they heavily promoted it ~15 years ago but maybe they overshot their goal?

#117 R-P, Apr 27, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    jerrymildred likes this.
  18. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, good news/bad news. The tech showed up. He took care of the loose cables. He checked the torque on the vampire taps and looked at everything else. He waited for the inspector. (The following times are estimates.)

He waited some more for the inspector.
    He called the inspector.
    The inspector said he was in a meeting. (Why the heck he was in a meeting rather than at the work site he said he'd be at, I don't know.) But he would call in about 10 minutes.
    25 minutes later, the tech texted him.
    Crickets.
    Half an hour later, the inspector said they could do a video inspection when he found a place to pull over.
    Another half hour later after hearing nothing from the alleged inspector the tech took a bunch more pictures, buttoned up everything and said he had enough that they could do what he called an "offline" inspection and that I was finally free to move about the city and not have to wait for the inspector. He said a day or two to get it finalized.

My tax dollars at work making excuses. :mad: Why are they called inspectors if they don't inspect anything?

But at least it was a half-step in the right direction. I'm out of jail.

R-P, fuzzy1 and Prodigyplace like this.
  19. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The same reason the so-called "teachers union" does not want its members forced to go back to schools and actually teach,.

Get paid for NOT working

3PriusMike and jerrymildred like this.
  20. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry. I missed this earlier. We do the same ... after it has passed the inspection and the electric company has installed the meter that allows it. This lazy inspector is taking money right out of my pocket every day because everything is waiting on him to run out of excuses why he can't keep his appointments.

edit to add. Oops! I just saw that that was a new post. I'd better get back there & read it. LOL!

Prodigyplace likes this.