1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I think you can waste energy with the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by David Beale, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've noticed a decrease in the amount of energy used when the prius is stopped in N.

I'd recommend for hard-core hypermilers to shift it into N as soon as you reach 7 mph, then use the main brake to slow to a complete stop, then use the parking brake (handbrake) to hold the prius still. (saves an extra .2 amps when the lights are off in the back).

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Huh? The car is READY and in D, and your right foot is pressing the brake pedal holding you motionless. When you want to go, you move your right foot from the brake to the gas pedal. What am I missing here?

3. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think he means the parking brake.

Which btw: I use my left foot to engage/disengage while my right foot pushes the main brakes.

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How much energy do the LED brake lights use? Does it really matter?
    Do you also avoid indicators to save energy?

5. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Even so. I don't see the difficulty.

6. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Richard: Find yourself a steep hill and go part way UP. Stop with your right foot on the brake pedal. Take your foot off the brake pedal and see how fast you start rolling DOWN the hill. If you can't find one where 'creep' doesn't hold the hill, you must live in Kansas :) 'Creep' only puts out so much power. You can either be really quick getting to the accelerator or use the parking brake to help hold the car still (ESPECIALLY if there is someone behind you). I agree with Mojolinor on the ease (actually lack thereof) of using a foot activated parking brake to help with hill starts.

7. carz89

carz89 I study nuclear science...

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What does shifting to N do for you when you hit 7 mph? Why not just stop regularly with the main brake, then shift to N when you are stopped?

I don't think using the parking break at every stop is worth the tradeoff of increased wear and tear on your parking brake. What can those brake light LEDs possibly draw? I'm certain it's nowhere close to 0.2 amps from the high voltage system. That would equate to 40-50 watts. It's probably an order of magnitude lower than that for the entire string of 24 brake lights. For reference, I have six 50-light LED strings on my Christmas Tree, drawing a combined 8 watts (Kill-A-Watt meter.) Granted, they are lower intensity LEDs, but not much lower. Furthermore, what would be the savings in gasoline and emissions from eliminating a small fraction of an amp for a few minutes a day?

Then there's the intangible safety value that your brake lights provide as indicators to the car behind you.

8. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My driveway is as steep as any road hill I ever drove in California :_> I don't ever try to rely on creep-power, I just move my foot fast enough from the brake to the gas. If there were some idiot stopped one foot behind me I can see that might be problematic.