1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I thought I was going to break my miles per tank record.

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by jerrymildred, Aug 5, 2017.

1. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Not to be a dork..it is truly a lack of understanding from a plugless person. :sneaky:

However, why does 'miles per tank' even matter with a plugin? Isn't it basically a function of how often you plug in? I suppose a bit less so for a PIP due to the limited range...but for plugins with larger range, the measurement seems insignificant. Or is it just for fun? I certainly could be missing something though!

jerrymildred, Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  2. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Good question. More for fun than anything. We all realize there is still a cost to electricity (most times). It's a much bigger challenge for us who have tiny little batteries.

jerrymildred, farmecologist and bisco like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you're definitely missing something, the fun! but as you can see, the thread devolved into more about harry potter and national parks, both also fun.:)

jerrymildred and farmecologist like this.
  4. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Excellent trip mpg. I’m working on a 1300 mile tank right now but still have 2 pips left. Those Park passes are very useful, my wife and I used the pass multiple times and also hit all the parks in the US. I found Yellowstone and Mt Zion the best. Been to Grand Canyon about 4 times, once in Winter.

jerrymildred and farmecologist like this.
  5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @farmecologist, not dorky at all. For me it's largely the fun since practically any Prius get amazing mileage. When the time comes to replace my wife's '07, I'm pretty sure we'll get a Gen 4 hatchback. I enjoy the challenge of keeping my cost per mile as low as possible. Electricity here is about 40% cheaper per mile than gas. Plus, I only have to pay for roughly 40% of the electricity I put in the car. But how much gas I use is largely out of my control. I can just make it to work on battery, charge there for free, and just make it home. Little errands around home are in battery range. But church, family, and 99.9% of my friends are over 15 miles away. I have a spreadsheet that calculates my cost per mile and compares it to that of a 49 mpg Prius and a 28 mpg gasser over the same distance.

@Andyprius1, we still haven't had a chance to use our passes. I want to take a couple days soon and go over to St. Augustine. Never been there and we need some time off. I think there are some places there you can use it. It would be tough for me to pick a favorite national park. In the running would be Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Rock Mountain. I still want to get to Acadia, Glacier, and Olympic.

farmecologist likes this.
  6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey, we have one here too! ;)

Appomattox Court House National Historical Park

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OH! That reminds me of Williamsburg. Lots of amazing stuff there. Not sure how many of them would take the Natl. Park pass. We were there about 25 years ago.

8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  9. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Prodigyplace likes this.
  10. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It's the challenge, like playing a video game.

jerrymildred and Andyprius1 like this.
  11. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Correct, my last little test drive this morning, warming up, 32 mile charge. Did not use ICE at all, both to and from, charger at both ends, cost, Zero. Car showing 119 mpg, it’s called Nirvana.

KevinPluggedIn and jerrymildred like this.
  12. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, I finally did break that record. And I'll break it some more tonight, more tomorrow, and even more Thursday. I still have two pips showing on the fuel gauge and have 1,015 miles so far on this tank. Old record was 952. I have almost 10 miles home, 20 miles round trip tomorrow (I charge at work), and then 10 more Thursday morning before I'll have to fire up the ICE later that day to go to a meeting. I wonder if I'll manage 1,100. At any rate, I'll finally have to get gas for sure on Friday so we can go pick up our grandsons for an overnighter.

It sure is fun to see the look on people's faces when I tell them how many miles I have on this tank. Thursday will mark one month since I last gassed up. But I'll still have a long ways to go to catch up with some of you PiP owners who don't need to drive as far.

KevinPluggedIn, bisco and markabele like this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    @51, how can you have 119mpg without using the ice?

14. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My guess would be that @Andyprius1 meant mpge? Not sure what all fancy stats the Prime offers.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought it showed 199.9 until the ice ran. like ours shows 999. but not sure if it shows mpge.

16. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Is that 119 a lifetime mpg figure?

17. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

18. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I can’t speak for every year, but with the Prime, that figure of 199.9 is pure fiction
    In real life the engine is always programmed to come on as interpreted by the cars computers.
    It’s all MPGe, the driver has no control over turning the ICE off in the beginning warm up period.
    Later, the car can be charged by the operator, by initiation of HV mode. IF, the computers allow. Generally between 18-20 mile range, or lower. One could on any long trip, including all sorts of terrain, weather,
    actually attain somewhere between 60 and 80 mpgE by constantly using EV/ eco, then HV/eco. It would be interesting to hear from somebody that tried it. For the right price and expenses I would be interested in
    doing that to NYC and return. ( To get people’s interest in Hybrids ). Now if Toyota could produce a Prius
    in the $15,000 bracket they would have a strong demand FOREVER!

19. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The purpose of the synergy is for the batteries to assist the ICE, and under heavy loads,the ICE assist the
    batteries. This is why it’s always MPGe. ( trips not 2 miles ). Of course the CVT is a Godsend.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    'did not use ice at all'?