1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I took my 2010 Prius in for the factory airbag recall and got LOTS of maintenance recommendations!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ATXpriusGal, Jan 19, 2017.

1. 2012 Prius v wagon 3

2012 Prius v wagon 3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Talking about the radiator hose replacement recommendation, as asked back in 2017 ...

Agreed. The 84k full replacement concept may have been valid in the 1960s, or on a modern Ferrari at 20k miles, but these days, original radiator hoses should last 200k miles. That's on a regular car where the engine runs all the time; any thermal cycling from the frequent engine start/stop is probably not good, but the lower engine run time should be good. Keep an eye on them, sure, but unless specific defects become known on these cars (not yet in this area, as far as I know), no need to replace that early.

Beyond the visual inspection, when the engine is cold, you can feel the hoses, compressing them with your fingers. Pay extra attention at bends, or right before the hose ends. When they break down and fail internally, they typically do it at those locations and will feel extra soft as compared to the rest of the hose. If you feel a spot that is clearly more compliant than the rest of the hose, it is probably failing and should be replaced.

And if you ever get a hose that is leaking at one of its ends, be aware that the barb the hose goes onto could be the thing that is failing.

Grit likes this.
  2. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Back then, nobody mentioned the EGR system. If you're still listening...

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It’s one of those outlier recommendations from the dealers so they might have found something legitimate issue with the hoses so that’s an item I will literally check on.