1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I used E85 today and......

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by douglasjre, Apr 29, 2018.

1. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Kinda off the subject, kinda not.

But is E85 the same stuff as what used to be called "Ethyl" & "Gasohol" at the gas stations when I was a kid? I just remember the gas station I worked at sold "Regular", "Unleaded" & "Ethyl". With the latter being replaced by "Gasohol".

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Ethyl was a brand of premium, 91 octane.

E85 can have any octane the company wants, it just is 85% alcohol. It dates from 2004.

#22 JimboPalmer, May 2, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018
  3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But I think using E85 in a Prius is.....
    Why would you....
    Uh....

Never mind....good luck with that.

4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Which post ? And what about it ??

And what about my post that you quoted that now seems to have disappeared......without any notice of same ??

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One more reason not to ever buy a used car....

FWIW the closest gas station to my office is a grubby Mom and Pop station that sells "real gas".....of fuel that "says" that is alkyhaul-free.

It's about $0.30 more a gallon than E10, and since my car is a company-issued car I bought gas there a couple of times to see if the more energy-dense E-0 would get me better mileage than the ethanolated stuff.

As best as my highly non-scientific (real world) observations could discern, there was perhaps a 1 or maaaaaaaaybe 2 MPG bump in efficiency in E-0 over E10.
    Definitely not worth the 30 centavos.

If there were a gas station local to me that sold E85, I'd try that out in my (their) car as well just to see if there is a difference.
    One more reason not to ever buy a used car that used to be a fleet or rental vehicle!!! ;)

However (comma) E85 is not available in my area for some reason.....probably because people in the SE United States are required to attend schools and show proficiency in math to at least the 8th grade.
    In other words....given the well documented price and MPG delta between the two blends, it really doesn't make walking around sense to burn alky in your car EVEN IF there are no mechanical repercussions......and that seems to be something of an "if" if there are countless internet hate fests about the topic.

OK.....
    So, when my company car was new, I was more of a proponent for alky, or at the very least giving people the option, but times....they are a changin!!!

Cars are more efficient.
    PHEVs are more capable and efficient.
    Soon....BEVs might be as well for some people.
    America is on the cusp of energy independence, so the "we don't have to kiss Saudi butt" argument is less weighty.

So....AFAICT, yeah.
    You "can" do it......but....."why?"

At least one PC-er (@bwilson4web) did the theory-to-practice on E85 versus E10, just to see.
    At the risk of misrepresenting what he did, I believe that he came up with the same answer. If you dig around with the search function in threads started by Bob, you can thumb through his data and draw your own conclusions.
    Truth is where YOU find it.

As always,
    YMMV

Good Luck!!

#25 ETC(SS), May 2, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018
  6. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Your gonna have to do a tutorial on how to use the search feature because no one uses it because creating a thread for themselves just so they will get an email when someone replies to their thread. #searchfeaturedeletemod #generationgimme