1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I want a reliable carphone

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Subversive, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Subversive

Subversive New Member

The bluetooth works fine, at least when the phone is working. The problem I am having, I think, is with the battery. I usually drive for about an hour, twice a day. Two hours per day of charge ought to be plenty. What I want is to be able to connect the cell phone to the powerjack inside the glove compartment and forget it. I have a pay-as-you-go plan (GSM/Cingular seems to be best for my area). I don't want or need a cell phone except when I am in the car. I had expected that a RAZR would be up the challenge given its expense, but there are constant problems with the battery running too low or too high or it seems to be burned out now even though I just bought a new battery a few weeks ago. The cell phone doesn't turn on when you turn it on or it acts weird and you have to play with it for hours, pulling the battery out and putting it back, etc. Can't they make a cellphone that isn't just cheap junk? I'd even be perfectly happy with a phone with no battery, buttons, or display, just bluetooth, so long as it worked reliably. Is there special charging port I need or something, beyond a mere automotive cellphone charger?

I appreciate any suggestions.

2. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Subversive @ Sep 19 2006, 08:23 AM) [snapback]321565[/snapback]</div>
    Too high? :blink: Like it's saying it's at 110% charge or something? Note that the car charger connected to your 12-volt outlet in the Prius will not receive power when the car is off. You should also check out the section in the Motorola RAZR manual that discusses the proper care and feeding of the phone's battery (page 7 in my manual).

I've had no problems with my RAZR. Battery lasts for days, it turns on and off when I want it to (Are you holding the power button long enough? See the manual.), and works well with the Prius Bluetooth hands-free system. Works every time.

Because Bluetooth isn't readily available on lower-end "cheap" phones (yet), you're not likely to find a cheap throw-away phone with Bluetooth capability.

If you continue to have problems with your phone, take it into Cingular and voice your concern. Maybe they'll find something wrong, or maybe not, or maybe they'll just replace the phone on the spot.

*EDIT* I should also add that I don't advocate leaving your phone in the car, not just because of possible theft, but also because of the intense heat-buildup in the car during the summer and the super-cold temperatures during the winter. You should avoid leaving it in temperatures below 14 degrees (F) and above 113 degrees (F).

3. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Subversive @ Sep 19 2006, 09:23 AM) [snapback]321565[/snapback]</div>
    Return the RAZR.

Seriously. With the RAZR you're paying a ton for form and getting zilch for function.

I'd ditch it for the SE 525. It's a lot more phone (more functionality) for a lot less price.

4. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

I love my RAZR...I turn it on and off at will....have no problems with battery running low.

They say it shouldn't have an issue with "battery memory" but I do let it completely discharge or wait till I see the orange bars before I recharge it....

terri

5. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey Sub,

I have had good luck with the Moto V557 through Cingular.