1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I want better lateral support for my seats

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by lopgok, Oct 11, 2017.

1. lopgok

lopgok Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a 2012 PiP. I test drove the 2017 Prius Prime. I was most impressed by the seats. I was wondering if there was anything I could to improve the lateral support for my seats. I am more concerned with the upper body that the leg area.

I looked into aftermarket seats. I was unable to find any with support for the toyota air bag system or the toyota seat belts. I don't care about the seat heater. There are reasonably priced seats, but I want my air bag and seat belt to work.

I read AutoSpeed - Reshaping Factory Seats which looked pretty cool, but like quite a lot of work.

I might go this route, but I would prefer something simpler.

Any ideas?

2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here, get a couple of these:

…I had them in my last Toyota, and even though the monofil snapped, they're fairly easy to repair if the break is detected early enough! Good luck! ;)

3. lopgok

lopgok Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Beaded seat cushions will hot help with lateral support.

WilDavis likes this.
  4. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Damnation! I wish I'd know that before I bought my first set (way back in 1993!) …to think I wasted my money on something which wouldn't fix my problem, even though for the past 24 years I've been under the illusion that I had found the solution! (…I hate it when that happens!) :confused::confused::confused::mad:;)

5. lopgok

lopgok Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am not sure what problem you are fixing, but it is not improving lateral support.

Lateral support means the seat will help hold you in place while cornering hard. It almost always involves big side bolsters.
    Something like this would be ideal: Sparco Evo Series - Competition Motorsport
    Your beads won't support you when cornering.