1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I want buy a Prius but need some help/suggestions

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Freeze Time, May 15, 2018.

1. Freeze Time

Freeze Time Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just a quick gas update. Drove about 40 miles away this morning in traffic. Got 56 MPG when I arrived. When I drove home the 40 or so miles, I got 65.6!! This is all in ECO mode. I am super impressed for sure. I got the lamp and brake inspection done yesterday. Passed no problems. I need to take that info to the DMV which I have an appointment on July 2nd and they will give me a 30 day permit. I could also just go in again but not unless there is a very short wait.

RCO likes this.
  2. Freeze Time

Freeze Time Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I found out last night that voice command means I can say the name and artist and it will play the song. VERY COOL!! I ran into a problem with it though. After I search for a song and then switch back to the radio, it's silent. CD works but neither FM or AM work. I turned off the panel and turned it back on and it still doesn't work. I have to turn the car off in order to get the radio to work. Does anyone know what is going on? It just happened after I started using voice control so I am assuming it has something to do with that.
    Also, how in the world do I turn off the reverse beeping? My friend has a 2012 or 13 Prius and he says he turned his off from the settings menu but I can't find it anywhere. Thanks in advance.

#102 Freeze Time, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  3. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is no setting inside the prius to turn the reverse beeping off from what i know... only the 4th gen got that, u have to plug in a OBD2 adapter and use an app like Carista to change settings. Toyota dealerships should do it for free honestly.. but they charge like 80 dollars just for plugging in their stupid OBD2 adapter to chnage the setting which takes like 20 seconds. I just bought the carista adapter and a year subscription for 40 dollars, so i can change whatever setting i want whenever.

RCO likes this.
  4. Freeze Time

Freeze Time Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I told my friend that originally but he insisted that he turned his off. Do you know anything about the radio not working?

5. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    well... unless he took out the speaker from the dash i dont believe him. ive never seen a 3rd gen with that option in the settings menu. The 3rd gen got a very limited settings menu in the head unit, face lift version got settings for "welcome home" lights i believe, the pre face lift (2010-2011) doesnt have that. There is another setting menu thats in the dash where it says "welcome to prius", if u click the "disp" button on the steering wheel until it just says "setting" on the middle screen in the dash, u can hold in "disp" to go into those "secret settings". But that is very limited aswell.

As for the radio, i really have no idea.. might be the bus cable behind the head unit thats not properly connected. The car might have another head unit then what it came with from factory. It can also be a fuse thats bad or thats not connected properly, or it can simply be something in the head unit thats screwed up. If thats the case then its just to buy a new head unit, their not that expensive now.

RCO likes this.
  6. Freeze Time

Freeze Time Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Either he is not remembering right or has a one of a kind Prius. It looks like the factory unit. I can always go to my local Toyota dealer and see what they say about both issues. Again, the radio not working only happens after I voice command a song so yeah, maybe something is screwed up either with the head unit itself of a faulty fuse.

7. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Doubt he has a one of a kind prius, if it was a BMW it could happen since theyre specially made for the buyer, while for Toyota`s r mass produced before anyone buys them with different trims and the trim u buy u r stuck with.

And all the head units looks pretty much the same on the outside, but some of them got different internals and r made by different companies, like one is made by panasonic and another is made by Denso.

RCO likes this.
  8. Freeze Time

Freeze Time Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I can take some pictures and post them here if that helps. I can also just go to the dealership and see what they say.

9. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There should be a number on the front of the unit that can identify what it is.

10. Freeze Time

Freeze Time Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I filled up the gas tank yesterday. I drove about 3 miles and one little line already disappeared. Are you supposed to keep filling it after the gas clicks? Usually, that means the tank is full and I read to make sure not to top off the Prius. Is this normal? Did I really fill the whole tank up?

#110 Freeze Time, Jun 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  11. lostinheadguy

lostinheadguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I often get 40-60 miles before my own fuel gauge drops to the next lowest level.

I lived in Los Angeles a few months ago and would always deal with certain gas pumps short-stopping. Apparently they do this in California to prevent spillage. I originally thought my old car's gas gauge / sending unit was going bad, but it was the pump at the station.

I would leave it this time, and fill the gas tank up like normal next time (don't top off if it short-stops). Calculate the gallons you put in vs the miles you go to get your actual MPG, if it's pretty low then something might be wrong. If you're still getting 40-50 MPG like you should be, I wouldn't worry about it.

RCO likes this.
  12. Freeze Time

Freeze Time Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've been getting anywhere from 43-65.6 according to the dash when I turn the car off after I get to or from wherever I am going.

13. lostinheadguy

lostinheadguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Those numbers are likely consistent with what you probably should be getting, as I assume you have a mix of uphill, downhill, stop and go based on where you live.

To get your actual average fuel economy, use the trip computer. When you fill up, reset the trip to 0 and let it count up until the next time you fill up. When you fill up, grab your phone and open the calculator and divide the miles you traveled by the gallons of fuel you just put into the car. With my v wagon I've found that the consumption screen readout is slightly optimistic.

14. Freeze Time

Freeze Time Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's what I did. Was just curious because the little bar went down one after 3 miles. I will get it down to as low as I can and report here what it states.

15. Freeze Time

Freeze Time Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Okay so I think there is a problem. My trip mileage read only 312 and the last gauge was blinking and car said I had like 20 miles left. Even if I did get 20 more miles, that's only 332 miles. Divide that by a 11.9 gallon tank and I am only getting 27.8 MPG. Let's say I did not really have a full 11.9 in there because the top gauge did go down really quick and let's estimate I would have gotten another 40 more miles, that's still only 31.2 MPG. Now, I have been using the AC off and on but not non stop. It doesn't get too hot where I live. I am driving in ECO mode. What MPG do you usually average with Prius? What is the problem with my car? When it was being fixed, could they have messed with the settings to have the car tell you that you are getting way better MPG than you are actually getting? The car is always telling me I am getting 40-60 MPG most of the time but this trip and dividing is telling me elsewhere.

Could the battery be bad already after only 33,000 miles? If so, how would I be able to tell. It charges almost completely full. Only missing one from the top. Why such a big discrepancy with what the car tells me after every drive vs the trip miles?

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    don't panic, it's likely just an error. and remember, you have 10/150 warranty on the battery.

you cannot compute mpg based on what you think was in the tank. and you would have to drain it to use 12 gallons.
    there are 2-3 emergency gallons left when the last pip beeps and starts blinking.

fill your tank to the first pump shut off, then compute your mpg.

do this over several tanks and get back to us.

dbf and Mendel Leisk like this.
  17. Freeze Time

Freeze Time Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I bought it salvage so no warranty. Oh really? I didn't know that. So why even blink when they are more gallons left?

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they call it a safety reserve in the o/m.

19. Freeze Time

Freeze Time Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Oh okay. That's really weird but now I don't have to worry. So what happens when you let it the miles go to 0? Does it ever give you a real gauge to know when you are really empty?

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nope. you're on your own after that. i choose to fill up asap, some choose to get stranded.

Simtronic and ITBland like this.