1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I want to buy a car and I'm conflicted between 4 choices. Camry, Corolla, Prime, and Ioniq

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by EfficientAF, Sep 20, 2020.

1. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    OTOH, more paint for those rocks to chip.

Merkey likes this.
  2. Spindifferent

Spindifferent Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    FWIW, we are very happy with our 2018 Hybrid Camry LE. Efficiency, comfort, styling, tech, all good.

3. CamryDriver

CamryDriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't worry too much about slight differences in MPG. Other than the Prime all the vehicles will deliver similar mileage. Sure the Ioniq has the highest rating but all 3 non-plug in vehicles will be close enough, especially at current fuel prices.

I'd also look at the AWD-e version of the Prius if it is cold and snowy where you live.

Not to complicate matters but why not also look at the plug in version of the Ioniq?

The plug in vehicles could save enough fuel to be worth considering but your electric cost will make a difference here. What does your electric run?

Be prepared for a big difference in fuel economy as the seasons change. Everything is thicker and harder to move in the winter. Batteries do not function as well in the cold and the engine will run just to make heat. If you are hardcore you can bundle up and leave the climate control off which will save a bit of fuel. My Camry crushes EPA estimates in the summer but struggles to achieve EPA in the winter.

Regarding bullet proof vs warranty, I agree that bullet proof is generally better, however even Toyota makes a lemon every once in a while. Also if their vehicles are so bullet proof why not cover them longer? Toyota's warranty will cover you for less than half the time you plan to own a vehicle (other than their battery warranty which got extended, at least here in the states anyhow). I'm not saying to avoid Toyota, just that there is value in a longer warranty. You could always buy an extended warranty but that is exactly the value I'm talking about that you get for free with Hyundai.

4. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It would make a big difference to me if the garage was heated especially if charging the prime everyday in the winter. I'm sure the prime would be mostly fine for 7 years charging everyday as I've been doing for 3 years, but I also know prime is mostly like every other make model other there in the winter, it's just way more noticeable in the Prime than in most ofhter cars.
    It also depends are where you draw the line between comfort and mileage. Which is more important warm in the winter or cool in the summer. If warm in the winter is more important I might go with camry. Of course in the summer I'd be kicking myself for not getting the prime. Sometimes one just can't win..

5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ... without moving to a more temperate climate.

vvillovv likes this.