1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I Want to Determine How Much Fuel is Left With One Flashing Blin

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ydpplqbd, Nov 4, 2019.

1. ydpplqbd

ydpplqbd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Sam, this posting is the first time that you and I have interacted (my recollection). Yet, you are diagnosing and labeling me without knowing me or ever having met me for cheap laughs. You should reflect on how you would want to be treated (I doubt that you want people to label you for cheap laughs). This is the essence of the golden rule (do unto others as you would have them do unto you).

Hopefully, we can move on from your failed attempt at humor.

bisco and SFO like this.
  2. ydpplqbd

ydpplqbd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Dup posting.

3. ydpplqbd

ydpplqbd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am planning on a trip through upstate NY backroads, onto Ontario (going as far North as Sudbury) and then East onto Montreal.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's my thought as well.
    But the OP does say "Couple Thousand Mile" drive. So...

Maybe I've been suburban spoiled but with the really great mileage range of a Prius with a full tank, you'd think you'd have to work pretty hard to get yourself so isolated that refueling wasn't an option. I mean...if you're on a paved road.

When I was a kid, my Dad and I use to go on "adventures" in the Northwest, where I would get that disturbed feeling in the pit of my stomach because we had gone someplace where getting back, wasn't a 100% given.
    We had some close calls. But we always did make it back to civilization. But as a result of these memories, I would say, you can find yourself in places where you suddenly realize the 24 hour mini-mart is NOT around the corner.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm tied psychologically to the other extreme. :oops:

upload_2019-11-5_7-11-45.png

SFO likes this.
  6. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With both the Prius and the Honda Fit, I have had little motivation to run the fuel too low. When I first buy a vehicle I experiment carefully, and a little with how far I can safely push it. Just to know, if I have to know in the future. BUT...
    Basically with both the Prius and the Fit, I just fill up when I get down to about two pips left, and a very conservative warning light.

On the positive side? It cost's me less to immediately fill up. And I'm divorcing myself from any low gasoline risk factors.

About the only time now I "empty" the tank, is when I add a fuel additive like Techron. I guess I like the idea that I'm running it all through the system and then returning to 'normal". So for those occasional tanks, I might run the tank lower....but still not to empty.

Otherwise....just filling up safely and prudently seems best.

7. ydpplqbd

ydpplqbd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Where I am headed to. See pic of map.

sudbury.JPG

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well....
    Enjoy your trip.
    I wonder if there is any internet resource that could reveal gas stations and refueling options on your route?

Whatever ever you decide, safe is better than sorry.
    So pick an approach that gives you the absolute best chance of NOT running out of fuel.

The only thing I'm 100% sure of is....stranded out of fuel? Bad.
    Plan accordingly. Be safe.

Mendel Leisk and ydpplqbd like this.
  9. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It was NOT an attempt to be funny.
    While I don't have much evidence to go on, what I DO have indicates that you are giving WAY too much attention to this subject.
    While it may not rise to the level of a "disorder", it certainly is obsessive and compulsive.

No offense was intended. I just think you need to see the situation a bit clearer.......and spend your time on something that actually MATTERS.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Of course there is.
    The very thing that he used to show his route.....Google Maps......will show you all the significant businesses along the way......and some that are not so significant too if you zoom in close enough.

11. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Was this intended to be the funniest thing I've read this week?

I think every phone made now has Google Maps on it.

12. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On the subject of OCD, IMMHO, I would say SS2, TEM and ML show equal if not more obsessive and compulsive tendencies only on the negative side of the debate.

Relax guys, it is not the end of the world. :cool:(y):whistle:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad I could make the world a happier place.

Like so much of our technology today, it's great. But if you don't use it? You don't use it. I don't think I've ever used Google Maps.
    I remember the "old" days when we thought it was amazing that you could go online and print up turn by turn directions....on paper...to follow to a destination.
    I have what is now an ancient Garmin. After nearly or over a decade it still works, and I use that for navigation and directions, so I haven't felt the need to use any of the Smart Phone options for directions or navigation. If...and when the Garmin finally quits I may join the masses in this pursuit.
    I just rather recently got what you could call a "real" smart phone. I'm slowly discovering things that I can do with it.
    It's with no apology that I concede I'm probably not the person to ask about what Apps to use for what situations.

#53 The Electric Me, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    oops sorry to interrupt. I hope you didn't catch the deer that was trying to cross freeway this 5:50am at 205 northbound past Gladstone. I wanna stop to get him out of there but it was too foggy.

#54 Classic Car Guy, Nov 5, 2019
    bisco likes this.
  15. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you read my posts?
    First of all, I embrace my OCD tendencies as evident and not necessarily negative...I call them a "Badge of Honor". I think everyone has varying degrees of OCD tendencies, if they aren't debilitating, recognizing this can be a good thing. One mans Obssesive Compulsive is another mans...extremely focused and dedicated.
    Not making light of mental illness, anything that becomes or is debilitating should be addressed with help. But if someone calls me OCD? My first reaction is not to be insulted, but to step back and evaluate how much truth their might be in that statement. And if I can make my OCD tendencies work to my advantage? I don't think that is a bad thing.

As far as being on the "negative side of the debate'?
    Yes, I think the "experiment" as outlined has dubious value, and is a waste of time for all the reasons I cited. BUT...I've tried to be supportive of the OP's overall goals for their trip. And I've even said...if you want to drain all the gasoline out of your vehicle at a specific point, just to determine volume...more power to ya...just be aware that I think the value of that information could even be dangerously misleading. But if the OP wants to do it? Go right ahead.
    I can't or won't change my opinion that the OP's experiment as outlined is IMO a boondoggle. There are better approaches to fuel management for a long trip, but I only offer it as my opinion---which can be ignored, and may be wrong. And I also try to offer options that I think would be a better alternative. It's not blanket negativity aimed at the OP's desire, to orchestrate a long trip with their Prius.

SFO likes this.
  16. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Electric,

Once you use Google Maps, you'll probably never want to use anything else ever again. I use it for pretty much everything, even when I was overseas. I can't even begin to describe how good it's been to me. It's the Bentley of map/direction software..

Skibob likes this.
  17. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What about Thomas guide changing the world? (n)

#57 Classic Car Guy, Nov 5, 2019
    bisco likes this.
  18. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm just amazed at my decade plus old Garmin.
    For years, I've kind of wished it would die, so I could move on. But it just keep working. And I know it inside and out as far as using it. So, I haven't explored Google Maps, or any of the other options.

But the Garmin can't last forever. ( Can it? ). In preparation for the inevitable day of it's failure maybe I should experiment with the options available. Would be better to get use to them now as opposed to trying to absorb it all to familiarity on the day I need a navigation option and the Garmin decided to stop working.

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My old Garmin did die back in April with the GPS week number rollover. RIP

20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Part of my obsession is to track every tank, haven't missed one yet. One thing that can derail that is having others fill it up, put in ten bucks worth, lose the receipt, whatever. I do have workarounds for that, but still, the simplest way to avoid such issues is by filling up somewhat early.