1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I want to install an AUX cable into my 2008 Prius base stereo

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Diana McCandless, Nov 8, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Diana McCandless

Diana McCandless New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there,
    I've been reading through existing posts about the AUX cable, but I still have questions, and some of the most relevant posts are 3-4 years old.

Just last week I bought a 2008 Prius base model, and the stereo has no "Aux" button, nor does it have a Aux cable port. I've seen some posts and picutres showing how to add an Aux cable to pins #16-19 on the back of the stereo pin. I have not yet taken anything apart other than the glove box....I would like to know more before dismantling anything.

Q #1) Does the white plastic plug on the back of the base Prius stereo have empty pins for #16-19, or is the problem that the plug for the base model doesn't even have those pins? The user who took pictures reported buying a different stereo from salvage but then returned it when the CD player wouldn't eject, and re-installed the original stereo...which leads me to believe that I can make my existing stereo work.

Q #2) If I connect the Ground pin to the "Aux sense" pin (as one post suggested) does that mean it is always in AUX mode?

Q #3) And if there was a switch installed in that cable, does the On/Off capacity of the switch enable the stereo to exit out of Aux mode back into FM radio mode?

Thanks,
    Diana

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I could be wrong, but I thought all made after '06 had an aux port inside the console next to the 12 v socket?

the switching feature built into the aux jack tells the head unit if something is plugged into the aux port, but it shouldn't be stuck in aux all the time if you ground that pin.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think base model has the aux

4. silvergenII

silvergenII Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Just a thought, I'll hazard a guess the wiring loom is standard... Why not find a pull-out radio from a non-base model ? Swap that for the base radio... Then at worst you would have to run the wire to the armrest. I bet the wire is there though...

iPhone ?

5. gamma742

gamma742 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Luxury