1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I want your opinion on Shark Fin Soup...RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by macmaster05, Aug 24, 2011.

1. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I love shark fin soup. last time I had it was in 03 though and not in the US. last month I was at a chinese restaurant in LA they had shark fin soup for 70 dollars a bowl.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No shark fin soup for jo!

Seriously, yes it should be banned but that doesn't stop poachers. In reality there should be a huge push to educate the Chinese on endangered species and how their cultural dishes and medicines are wrecking the environment. I've watched and studied enough poaching and illegal trade issues to make me sick to my stomach. The vast majority of it is perpetuated by the Chinese market but it is not limited to that county alone.

Not for the squeamish!

2 people like this.
  3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    F8L, you should put a warning. I couldn't finish watching it till the end.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I did put a warning but it was probably too small. I went back and edited it. I understand some people, like myself, become physically upset watching things like this. :(

5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There are a LOT of animal welfare issues in other Countries which are unacceptable to those of us in the West. People will happily buy cheap leather shoes from China or cheap Chicken from Malaysia (or where ever) without a thought to how these animals are treated.

Am I a vegetarian? Nope. But the farmers here in the UK (and the same in USA) spend a lot of time, money and effort looking after their animals for a reason! I for one think it matters. So be appaulled watching that video but if you don't care where the leather in your shoes come from are you part of the problem?

6. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Shark fin "soup" wastes most of a shark and dooms the shark to death. This is absurd in 2011. The dorsal fin is removed and the shark is dumped in the ocean. How about human spine soup!?

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    +1

I find shark tasty, and if the rest of the finned shark was used, I don't think there would be such an outcry over the soup.

8. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I prefer a cup of the Lipton Instant Shark Fin Soup, ready in just 5 minutes, when I am whipping up a panfull of Cajun Blackened Shark Steaks! A side of rice, veggie of choice (insert here) and a frothy cold beer!
    Now them's Good Eats! :D

I do think however, if you are gonna take the shark, take ALL of him. It's just waste full to keep only the fins and toss the rest.
    BBQ and Cajun Shark is quite tasty!

9. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I grew up eating Chinese food (I didn't exactly have a choice) - that's probably why I don't like the majority of it.