1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I want your opinion on Thai food

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by macmaster05, Apr 18, 2011.

1. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok here's where I'm coming from - half of my friends hate Thai food and half of them love Thai food, but I just can't understand why they love it. I hate Thai food. I've had it a few times and have tried REALLY hard to like it, but I just can't see its appeal -- in fact, it's the only cuisine I dislike. I love Indian food, Japanese, Mexican, Chinese, Italian, Mediterranean, even Argentinian, etc etc. Now, I'm a big fan of bold, spicy flavors, so I thought Thai would suit me. But IMHO, Thai just tastes weak, peanuty, pathetic. To me, Thai curry tastes like the leftover milk from your bowl of sugary cereal...over rice. I just can't do that. Plus for the money, the portions are tiny.

I just can't understand what sane person enjoys paying for this food. I don't know why it's the first thing that comes into peoples' minds when deciding where to eat. I personally think it's just a trend. When people realize they're paying $10 for a small bowl of sweetened milk with 4 chucks of white chicken.

Am I wrong here? I want your opinions on Thai food...now.

2. skilbovia

skilbovia Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Where the hell have you been eating? :confused: Sorry you are not in Central Mass or I would take you to a really great Thai restaurant. Bangkok Hill. I find Thai food is lighter than Chinese. Not as much oil, rather using spices to add flavor. We'll have the Pad Thai.

1 person likes this.
  3. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I can't understand how anyone can NOT love Thai food. It combines the best elements of Chinese and Indian food (both of which I also love) and puts a unique spin on it. Yeah, they do tend to go a bit peanut-happy sometime, but since I like peanuts this is a bonus for me. I guess if your idea of an "authentic ethnic meal" is Pizza Hut how you can be put off by it, but for those of us with adventuresome palates, Thai food is a wonderful change of pace.

ProTip: There's more to Thai food than Pad Thai.

1 person likes this.
  4. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a very adventuresome palate and have learned to appreciate and love several cuisines. I love food. After trying it several times, it does nothing for me.

BTW - I am Chinese and saying Thai is close to Chinese food is an insult. Lol.

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Chinese food is like the GM Volt ...
    :behindsofa:

Just kidding, although outside of big US cities I avoid buying Chinese meals.

Thai food is bliss. I love galangal, basil, and Thai curry. I exist to eat Thai peppers.

1 person likes this.
  6. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I like Thai... just tell em no peanuts... :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  7. gone2green

gone2green grumpier than the grumpiest old man you know ;)

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Order this next time, everyone I know loves it
    Tom Kha Gai

8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not a very adventurous eater, because too many things make me quite ill. So, I avoid them - peanuts and too many spices included - meaning most Thai food isn't on the menu for me. Everybody has their own tastes, and any food can be poorly prepared, so it's not fair or accurate to say any one style is bad.

1 person likes this.
  9. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    next time you order Thai ask them to make it spicier.

1 person likes this.
  10. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Understood. For me, I can handle the spices. That isn't the problem. The problem is I don't feel full or satisfied after I eat Thai. The flavors are too sweet. The curries are too runny.

Admittedly, I do enjoy their roasted duck.

11. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There must be good Thai restaurants around. Ask your friends and family for suggestions, or read reviews on the internet for your area. Most places will accommodate special requests, especially if they're not too busy and you ask nicely. The few places I frequent will make whatever I like, even if it's not on the menu. OK, maybe not steak at a vegan place, but you get the idea. :)

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    In my neighborhood you have to ask for "Thai Hot" to have any hope of a spicy meal. American restaurants cater to the American palate, which is very, very bland.

I ask for 'Thai Hot,' and then request fresh Thai peppers I cut up and add to my meal. I'm making myself hungry. Come over and eat Thai at my house Macmaster. I don't think you will find the food sweet.

13. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I love Thai... I always get something like Pineapple Curry, with tofu or just vegetarian (no fish sauce). The "runny" curry is so that you can eat it with lots of rice!

There's a heavily garlic'd dish I love, too, that has lots of garlic, peppers, and Thai basil. Served with rice.

I'm not a fan of Thai noodle dishes.

14. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I used to know a woman who would order Jalapenos on the side, and just munch them raw. I'd need an ambulance standing by to try that.

15. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My problem with Thai food in the US is that they try so hard to please that they often serve Caucasions the level of spiciness that they think you want instead of what you ask for. That usually results in food that is too bland by my standards. Then, occasionally they surprise me.

16. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ah, THAT may explain your dislike of it. From a U.S. point of view, Chinese and Thai food are - well, not siblings, but maybe cousins. I know I don't get along with all my cousins...

17. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It depends where you get them. Here in New England, if I eat something with Jalapeños, they're basically slightly (very slightly) spicier pickles. Ordering snakebites (AKA deep-fried Jalapeños stuffed with cheese), the breaded crust is usually spicier than the Jalapeño itself. They're maybe slightly spicier than deep-fried mozzarella sticks. On a scale of 1 - 10, 10 being spiciest, they're about a 2.5.

In California, Jalapeños give a nice, spicy buzz to food. Not too spicy, but it's definitely a kick you can notice. On the 1-10 scale, they're about a 5.

In Mexico I once ordered snakebites in an off-the-beaten-path restaurant, took one bite and OH MY GOD MY MOUTH JUST BURNED OFF! On the 1-10 scale, they were at least a 9.

18. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Our Jalapenos in the SouthWest US are nice to munch on raw. Thai peppers are considerably spicier and I at least dilute them with food.

19. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Haha yeah we all have those cousins. Plenty of my family members and Chinese friends love Thai, and I'm open to all sorts of foods too so I doubt my ethnicity has anything to do with it.

The Thai restaurant I most recently visited got pretty good reviews.
    Chiang Mai Thai Cuisine - Outer Richmond - San Francisco, CA
    Some dishes were good, others not so much. However, whether or not this is actually a good restaurant is irrelevant to me, because regardless of the restaurant, the cuisine always leaves me craving something else after I finish it.

I have nothing against Thai restaurants or Thai cuisine itself and I'm not complaining about having food (I sound like a spoiled fat idiot). I respect the culture and restaurant owners gotta make their money. My problem is how my coworkers/family/friends always seem to jump on Thai as the first suggestion for lunch or dinner. This has happened to me a few times in the past couple weeks and I just don't get it. It seems overrated at this point. I almost wonder if people have psychologically deceived themselves into liking this food. The trend is astonishing. And as an amateur food critic (or I like to think that I am), I love finding new flavors, which is why I want(ed) so much to love Thai food and thought that I would - especially by now.

I could talk about food all day. I'm only harping on Thai food since I'd really like to get to the bottom of this. Plus, a thread about the food I do love would take way too long. Hey maybe that's not a bad idea... :rolleyes:

20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your description sounds more like 'American' curry than any of the gazillion different Thai curries.