1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I Was Minding My Own Business And....

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by John6012, Oct 3, 2018.

1. John6012

John6012 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    A USPS Mail Vehicle had stopped beside the highway delivering mail to a mailbox just over a small hill. I came over a hill and stopped behind another car. I looked in the rear view mirror and saw a white car coming up on us and noticed that the front of the car wasn't dipping as if the driver was putting on the brakes. He hit us, knocking us into the car in front of us and into the inside lane (four lanes). I was snapped back and then saw that we were going to hit the car in front of us and wham, my head hit the steering wheel. My wife and I got out and she told someone to call 911. My forehead was bleeding from hitting the steering wheel and the ambulances came and transported me to the hospital for treatment.
    That totaled our 2012 Camry XLE with 38,000 miles. The rear of the car was pushed up to beneath the rear window and the window didn't break! Both the wife and I were bruise and I received the worst of the injuries due to the laceration by the steering wheel. The car that hit us was a 2018 Ford Fusion driven by an 84 year old local man-I'm glad it wasn't an 18 wheeler!
    We are waiting on the insurance company to negotiate the totaled Camry and we both have whiplash injuries, back pain, shoulder etc.
    This will be our final post on this forum because we had already bought a 2018 Prius Prime Advance which was sitting in our garage which we will now use vs the Camry. Not only are we glad an 18 wheeler didn;t hit us but glad we weren't driving the Prius.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why not?

Safety-wise, being 6 years newer, it ought to have an even stronger passenger cabin, reducing injury and likelihood of death. So what if the car is totaled, you and fellow passengers are more important and much less replaceable.

Merkey likes this.
  3. John6012

John6012 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Granted, one cannot replace a lost life or injuries so sever that haunt one the remainder of their lives. However, the Prius is a smaller car and weighs less than the Camry Hybrid so it could be "pushed around on the highway somewhat easier. Then too, if it had been an 18 wheeler, it wouldn't have mattered which car we were in....you'd read about us in the obituary.

4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am sorry to hear about the accident and your injury. I hope you recover fully soon.
    But, why the sudden departure from PC? You still have Prime and can learn a lot even after purchase.

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sorry about your accident, but I'm a little puzzled by your injuries and why they were not prevented by airbags and seatbelts.

The....ah....."Prime" thing is that you're still alive post-accident.
    Get checked out.
    Many times....."soft tissue" injuries manifest themselves after the accident.

Stay in touch!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Seriously ?????????
    According to Google:
    upload_2018-10-4_10-12-7.png

upload_2018-10-4_10-12-28.png

If the 2 to 4% weight difference bothers you, then just set 70 to 150 pounds of sandbags in the rear passenger footwells. Then the Prime will be even, not even counting its improved IIHS safety ratings compared to the 2012 Camry.
    Don't confuse 'capacity to kill the other guy' with 'safety'. This is a very common error.

Trollbait likes this.
  7. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    He's leaving that forum, to post in the prime forum would be my guess.

Salamander_King likes this.
  8. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, I see. He means, his HyCam being totaled, he will not be posting on "Toyota Hybrid" forum any more. I got it.;)

9. John6012

John6012 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yep, I'll still be hanging out in the Prius forum. I can't figure out w the air bags didn't deploy.... found out maybe, https://www.cars.com/recalls/toyota-camry-2012/. They had a recall on airbags and I’ve taken the Camry to the dealer for service since it was new...?..

#9 John6012, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It takes a certain amount of force to deploy the airbags. It is possible that impact wasn't strong enough or the sensors misread it because to rear impact happening so close in time to the front one.

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, airbags are meant to be deployed from the direction of impact. There are no rear airbags, your seat back and head restraint are meant to handle those.

The subsequent front collision was a secondary impact, I have no idea how those are handled. But it would have involved far less energy than the rear primary impact.