1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I was robbed......

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ameliapalooza, Feb 1, 2010.

1. ameliapalooza

ameliapalooza New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok so I called the prius tech today, When i asked about replacing connectors He said the sensor casing is broken ( not quite understanding how) not just connector and wire at pin one so there is no way to keep debris and moisture out. Informs me replacing connectors wont fix my issue. Does this sound correct? I'm thinking super glue......

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Amelia, registering your car's VIN at http://www.toyotaownersonline.com/index.html will get you the service history at the dealers. You're in good hands here. Once the car is patched up you should be very happy with it. Keep us updated.

Prime Example likes this.
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you would like comments on this, maybe you might take a few sharp photos of the area in question, and post.

4. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I sent you a PM but to answer this question I think the tech is confused on what is actually the sensor. The actual sensor is a part of the motor windings so he would not be able to see it at all. What seems to be damaged is the double sided plug as that is what actually has the seal on it.

5. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This is what the double sided connector that bolts to the side of transaxle looks like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My guess is that this is was is damaged.

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did the OP even use Carfax? She said she bought private party.

To the OP, I'm sorry. That's a mess. I wish I had something better to tell you. Legal action against the seller would be possible, but time consuming and with no real guarantee of result either. Did he make you sign anything when you bought it? Unfortunately sometimes these scum bags are very well versed in covering their own butts. If you signed anything that suggested you knew you were buying a product "As-Is" then your just in trouble.

When I was young, I made a few really bad car purchases, lost a lot of money just being unwise as to what to look for, and know when making a private party used car purchase. If it makes you feel any better you are not alone. It happens. Psychologically I would usually compound the loss by for some reason investing into fixing the vehicle, then being so upset about the experience that I would then sell it at a big loss. But I felt I was creating better Karma in the world. I was taking something "bad" making it better and passing it along to someone else in better shape than I had....but that psychological quirk probably cost me thousands of dollars.

In anycase good luck. I hope you can find some level of resolution that works for you.

7. Radiant

Radiant New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I cannot repair cars, so I can't tell you how to fix a thing. However, I have noticed you have only taken the car to one dealer and taken that dealer's word that you absolutely need these repairs and there is no other way. Actually, it seems the only information you have that the car has been salvaged is from the dealer, right????

Have you considered taking it to someone else - maybe someone here can give you the name of a trusted auto repair in your area?

Just tossing out some ideas here.

Fern1461 likes this.
  8. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Hey at least you can feel good that you just didn't dump the problem on another unsuspecting person. For that you should get the "atta boy" :cheer2:

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    too bad u 2 were not closer together since jello actually rebuilt a salvage vehicle on the cheap, he would be a great source of info

10. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I had the same error codes when I rebuilt my Prius. I think Jelloslug is correct. You can get the connectors from Toyota parts, and I have extra pins that I found that work if you need them, or you can get them from Steve Woodruff. Bring it to a shop that specializes in electrical auto work, and have them change the parts. It should not be expensive, and it should fix it.

11. nthach

nthach New Member

Carfax can lie, it is NOT an infallible system. Some accidents or events aren't even reported by the insurance companies whose databases are what Carfax draws its data from.

12. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had one lie when i bought a 2006 slk :(

13. ameliapalooza

ameliapalooza New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Re: I was robbed......update

Hello everyone. I want to thank you all for your wonderful help and support with my issues. jelloslug thank you for all your time and effort. You have helped me in many ways and your were right on with the issues with my car.

I was not able to fix the car my self however a friend actually towed my car to Indiana where Steve Woodruff was able to inspect and repair the entire vehicle. The cost of the 5 day trip to Indiana plus repairs was far less than the cost of repair at the dealers ($9000). The repair its self was only about $1000 which also included some welding (Toyota did not mention I had portions of the front end that were not welded to the frame like they should have been.

I can now say I feel 100% safe and confident in driving my vehicle.

Jelloslug, I want to thank you again. You have been a blessing.

Amelia

14. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Amelia,

Thanks for providing the resolution to your story, glad it had a happy ending and that Steve Woodruff's shop did a great job at a fair price.

I agree that jelloslug has developed tremendous Prius-specific knowledge which he freely shared with us while he rebuilt his Prius in 2008.

confusedagain likes this.
  15. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    All's well that ends well.

Tom

16. ameliapalooza

ameliapalooza New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Patrick ,
    You are very knowledgeable your self. The codes dx and list of problems you sent were exactly the issues I had.

You put a lot of effort into my issues without you and jello I would not be driving my car.

Thanks again

Amelia

17. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    can tell you how happy i am that you found a solution that works for you Amelia!! stay in touch. would love to know what you think of you Pri , now that is works as it should!!

18. preeyus06

preeyus06 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    wow. some good guys on this forum. glad this has a happy ending

19. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah. Welcome to Priuschat.

20. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Will you still seek some redress against the seller?

Ok qbee42 leave this one alone there are NO sexual conotations intended and even if there were I think she'd look very nice with a brand new seller bought expen$ive dress in the $1,000.00 range! :p

Welcome to Priuschat :welcome: