1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I was yelled at twice this weekend while driving.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tactical Funky, May 29, 2007.

1. diamondlarry

diamondlarry EPA MPG #'s killer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RobertG @ May 29 2007, 02:09 PM) [snapback]451559[/snapback]</div>
    RobertG, I grew up in the Elkhart, IN area. My grandfater on my mom's side worked for Studebaker for many years.

I haven't been yelled at yet. In fact, with so few Prii in our area, I have gotten no questions/comments at all when out and about.

2. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tactical Funky @ May 29 2007, 01:29 AM) [snapback]451369[/snapback]</div>
    They are not thinking straight. They don't have a clue where the oil is coming from and where the money goes that buys it. We are trying to get away from oil dependence from these countries.

3. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Welcome to Arkansas.

4. jeremyandmelissa

jeremyandmelissa New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Unfortunately, I can't understand why some people are so upset by hybrid vehicles. I refuse to accept the argument that they are upset/jealous that we get better gas mileage.

I think it has more to do with the "buy american" mentality from the late '70's and '80's. With globalization what it is today however, most "american" cars aren't all made in america, and most "japanese" cars are actually made in america. How ironic eh?

My wife and I bought our 2004 prius used and the previous owner had an american flag vinyl sticker on the back window. I promptly removed it (I just don't like decals/stickers on my car american flag or otherwise) but after reading this thread I understand one reason he may have put it there in the first place.

Sooner or later, all the people that sling mud at hybrid owners will come around and realize that hybrid and alternate fuel vehicles are the most popular wave of the future. Until then, I can only shrug at insults . . . and occasionally show my long middle finger! HA!

5. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There are all kind of people in the US, including the ones that make us ashamed to be American.

You have no way of knowing how much had these Ozark Bubba's had to drink. If you had not been in a Prius, they would have found something else to berate you about. Let them go back to their beer, Nascar, and built-in-Mexico Chevy pickups and regail in the stories of their father's prohibition era booze-running days. That is their culture... you should have cultural tolerance. There are some things you must simply ignore, you will live longer that way.

6. MickeyA

MickeyA New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tactical Funky @ May 29 2007, 04:29 AM) [snapback]451369[/snapback]</div>
    Lame > Dumb

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tactical Funky @ May 29 2007, 04:29 AM) [snapback]451369[/snapback]</div>
    Tell that to the 38k employed by Toyota in this country.

7. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Bransons @ May 30 2007, 06:42 AM) [snapback]452029[/snapback]</div>
    Buy American is only a small part. We don't see anyone being enraged with Camrys or Hondas. After 20 years of technological stagnation, it is the new hybrid technology that is perceived as the threat to the automotive status quo. The Prius, being the catalyst for the revolution in automotive innovation and change, has evoked strong emotional responses both positive and negative. If we can fast forward a few years, it will probably be hard to give away those strictly gasoline ICE cars.

8. jaxhpfa

jaxhpfa New Member

Tactical Funky.....
    Sorry to hear about your episode of " Prius abuse" .
    There have, however, been a few words of wisdom on this topic so far I would say.......
    [/quote]
    Bottom line, they're jealous. They just build up more and more hate inside everytime they fill up

and...

Some people are just idiots. Nothing makes them more upset than having their own failed logic pointed out to them. One way this happens is when they are stuck in traffic sitting in a gas-guzzler and watching their gas guage go down by the minute. Seeing a hybrid running on battery power and using little to no gas just pisses them off because they realize just what a poor choice they made. So, they lash out.

and......

bottom line, move to one of the coasts. in middle america, the big three still rule. buying Toyota is considered un-american despite the fact that Toyota employs over 34,000 workers so in the us. there is an thread about "why Toyota is afraid of being #1.

plus my own two cents....

These people are the same ignorant idiots who voted for W. and listen to the hate mongers on the right like Limbaugh and just don't know any better!! Many of them, ( sorry to any Bush voters here who may be insulted....and also drive a Prius...you get a little leeway) think that ignoring the interests of others and being a bully is cool and will never change. Some places have more of them than others I fear.

I will tell you that where I live, this type of behavior is absolutely unheard of!! Every other car is a Prius here guess that is why they call us "tree huggers" and we wear that badge proudly!
    Come on up!

Happy motoring!

9. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Roll up the windows, crank up the stereo, and just keep on cruisin. I haven't had any bad experiences in over a year and 35,000 miles, but California is more tolerant of change (maybe leading it). The day may come here in LA where the Hybrids outnumber the monster trucks, and small brained drivers. Wait for the day. I just hope things don't turn actually violent in the meantime. Changing times, and attitudes are very difficult for non-evolutionary types to deal with.

10. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(abq sfr @ May 30 2007, 12:28 PM) [snapback]452129[/snapback]</div>
    Let them go into Lowe's or Home Depot and "see" that OVER 90% of what is sold in these stores (aside from a very few things like plants, paint, concrete blocks, wood, or bags of cement) is MADE IN TAIWAN......
    Yep, their Beer Coolers, Budwiser Hats, bungee cords, power tools, plastic tarps, light bulbs, you name it............ probably NOT made in America. Heck, even all the bathroom vanities sold in these stores are Made In Taiwan now.......... Toilets are made in Ecuador (Briggs and A.S.)............. the list of Made in Taiwan (or other NON-USA) goes on and on.......... why don't these rednecks have a few beers and raise Hell in these stores...............

11. janets98

janets98 New Member

I guess those people haven't read Thomas Friedman's The World Is Flat. Of course, most of the ones you've described probably can't read and cipher above the third grade level.