1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I went to buy a car and got a Prius!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by yabba, Feb 15, 2008.

1. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It obviously depends on the tyre. I'm not sure what brand you have as OEM over there. If it's the Goodyear Integrity, Toyota recommends 35 psi (I think) but the max pressure is 44 psi. A lot of people over here do the 42F/40R setup (including me). 40F/38R is pretty common too.

Loved the Barnsley result. That was pretty funny. Man U/Arse was shocking, though the gunners were short of first team regulars.

I was an avid ice hockey player myself for years but my wrist is knackered and I don't know if I'll be able to play again for a long time. It's a great sport. I don't follow the NHL anymore, but it's loads of fun to play. I'm playing football again since it's the only sport that I love that I can still play (except for sailing, but that's out of season here in Colorado). Are there professional ice hockey leagues there? Or do you follow the NHL?

2. Shieldsy

Shieldsy Prius Fruitcake

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Welcome to the world of Pri-i Yabba.

I too have many roundabouts (small ones here) and I am averaging 4.8 L/ 100km (60mpg imperial), so I don't think you will have any difficulty with driving normally and getting great economy. I have got as good as 4.4!

I do not know what the cost of petrol in the UK is at the moment, but here is worse than the US (A$1.36 / litre) and I am saving a bucket.

Also the maintenance (other than tyres) is next to nothing. 3 services and 28000km for about A$200. The tyres here are Michelins standard and mine still look like new running at 42/40 psi.

I thought your opening post was sensational and it sounds as though you are as nuts as I am over this car.

Oh, by the way if you put the seats down (including front passenger that also folds flat) you can swallow 3 metres of lumber from the hardware store and watch the salesmans jaw drop as you close the hatch.

All the best from the colonials in Sydney.

3. yabba

yabba New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Currently per litre

Petrol
    £1.01
    $2.15 AUD
    $1.97 USD

Diesel
    £1.09
    $2.32 AUD
    $2.12 USD

So roughly about $4.66/gallon or as we say in England "A bloody rip-off"

re the Ice Hockey: there's one pro league here not the best quality (we're ranked about 28th in the world I think) We had a couple of NHLer's during the shut-out Wade Belak probably the best known but Theo Fleury had a season here that year too.
    The team I follow is a Semi-pro league one.
    Don't follow NHL too much but went to the season opener in London: Kings v Ducks - cool day out.

Met my first anti-prius guy today. HAHA excellent!
    Apart from the obvious expletives, is there an adjective to describe these people? There should be! My opening offer is ANti-priUS

4. yabba

yabba New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well I'm now officially a Prius owner:D

Took a few weeks to arrive but that's more down to us sorting out settlement of finance on the old car. But on Saturday we picked up or new Lagoon Blue T Spirit. Drove home with the intention of reading the manuals and finding out how all the gadgets worked. Cup of coffee later and about five pages in, Sod that! "Get your coats on, we're going out."

Didn't think I'd be so anal in respect to MPG! been reading loads of stuff on here and thinking that a lot of it is OTT. But can't keep my eyes off the info screen - bloody dangerous really but it's hynoptic!
    Got over 49MPG (did about 110 miles on the first day) on a mix of motorway doing between 70 and 80MPH and urban - the kids were chanting "You've been passed by a bunch of tree huggers" as we overtook - lol!
    It's now down to about 45 around town including quite a lot of short trips from cold. So well happy with that.
    Been playing around today trying to find the best compromise for my driving style and found doing about 47MPH and feathering gives consistently high consumption on the display- not pulse and glide but it works for me and around here I normally drive a lot quicker. Give it a few weeks and I'll no doubt be giving it some right foot:rolleyes:

Some things I can't get used to at the mo.
    Switching lights on is one thing and found myself having driven about a quarter of a mile before realising it doesn't switch on automatically anymore!
    Fortunately the lack of auto wipers is far more obvious.
    Having to use a key to unlock it is frustrating as well (For some reason they don't seem to have SMART key here)
    That said all that is something I'm sure will become second nature pretty quickly.
    Overall though pretty damn chuffed:bounce:

5. zeeman

zeeman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    prius is an interesting word, i googled it and this is what came up:

:

"Prius is a Latin word meaning “to go before.†Toyota chose this name
    because the Prius vehicle is the predecessor of cars to come. Rapid
    population growth and economic development in recent decades have
    resulted in a sharp increase in fossil fuel consumption on a global
    scale. Faced with the challenges to create an earth-friendly vehicle,
    Toyota has produced the world’s first mass produced hybrid
    automobile..."

"...Other names have more purpose behind them. Toyota named its hybrid Prius, which Toyota wanted the world to see as a technological marvel, because the word is Latin for "to go before."

Google Answers: Process of naming Prius automobile

"The word “prius†is Latin for “prior toâ€, indicating that the Prius is a vehicle at the forefront of its age.The first-generation Prius, a car with a groundbreaking level of environmental performance based on a hybrid system, was released in 1997 under the catchphrase: “In time for the 21st centuryâ€. It thus appeared prior to the so-named “century of the environment†and also before any other marketed hybrid vehicle..."