1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"I will be disappointed if the '09 Prius doesn't have...."

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by efusco, Mar 31, 2008.

1. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    one last thing for say 2010 model or later, toyota should do some research into Diesel/electric! the Peugeot 207 TD can avg upwards of 55mpg alone with a diesel motor. A small,clean diesel+electric would kick some serious butt imo. Although diesel fuel has gone way up lately

2. whodat

whodat Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi Evan & Fellow Prius Chatters,
    This may not be exactly what the original post was seeking...

I will get to the disappointed portion shortly, but let me first frame by perspective with my definition of disappointed and some future views.

I generally become disappointed if I expect something and it does not happen. The more I expect it, the greater the disappointment if it does not happen.

In 2009 I am predicting:

* $4 US/gallon or higher
    * car mileage becoming an increasing decision purchase factor
    * year over year growth in hybrid (Prius) sales
    * 2009 Prius is essentially the same as 2008 Prius
    * Greater evidence of accelerating effects of Global Warming and a more urgent need to offset CO2 emissions

In 2009 I will be disappointed if Toyota does not take advantage of the larger database of Priuses on the road and factor in reliability data to drive improvements in mileage - one example might be the battery algorithm usage (are the minimum discharge and maximum charge levels too conservative or not conservative enough?). A larger Prius database to validate/adjust maintenance recommendations (i.e. transaxle 100K oil change - is that too long?).

I will be disappointed if someone has not been able to hack the Prius software to allow for modest changes in the battery algorithm so that the thermal combustion engine does not always have to automatically turn on at 42 mph (my commute is on a hilly road and I can coast just fine without the thermal combustion engine on well past 42mph, and I can regeneratively brake until I reach the Prius maximum allowed battery charge level, and then I have to use the brake pads which wastes energy and brake pad material).

The Prius could benefit from a front vent/flue that can close during cold weather (blocks airflow and reduces air friction) and during warm weather opens to allow air flow to cool the thermal combustion engine.

But mostly what I will really really disappointed to hear in 2009 is that the plug-in battery technology is still not feasible/reliable and that battery energy density is too expensive and the plug-in hybrids are still many years away. Maybe this is an aspiration goal on my part, but with all the media articles on plug-ins, I await with great anticipation!

Regards
    Dave

3. amaranita

amaranita Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Yes itf the Lexus had a hatchback! No sunroof was almost a deal breaker for me. I would trade my '08 in a heartbeat for one with a sunroof.
    I think folks who could afford the more luxurious features should be able to "Have their cake and eat it too" They should be able to have all that Prius stands for and have it in an ultra comfortable style. That should never take away from those that love the level that Prius is now. Just more options to play with when making that final decision.

4. johnval1

johnval1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Seats seem to be a prevailing theme in this thread. IMPROVE the egronomics in the driver's seat! I am a measly 6'2" and cannot, repeat cannot, find comfort in the seat, pedal, and wheel configuration.

Gosh, I would love to have better mileage and all that stuff, but geez, just get the seats designed by a damned Amurican for crying out loud! None of these little butts and short legs in the American market.

DISCLAIMER: I happen to like little butts and short legs since The Big Girl has this configuration and is standing behind me as I write this apology. :D

5. lisaann

lisaann New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hello,
    I have a Prius 2006 and I am getting ready to buy a new one.
    I have two Questions:
    2008 or wait for 2009? any opinions?
    Second question, has anyone had trouble with a mildew or mold smell from the AC vents when car is first started?
    Thanks,
    Lisa

6. Wes Tausend

Wes Tausend Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

I also posted on this thread earlier on page 5, but one other thing I thought I would like to see is a bit more headroom in the rear seat, as long as the all-important coefficient of drag doesn't go up measurably with a taller roofline. This is a very minor problem but probably more noticable to taller adults.

I have commented that I greatly enjoy the generous rear footroom (better than 98% of other cars) but I am only 5'11" and my head occasionally just touches the headliner in the rear. The rear seat height is comfortable as is so I would rather the headroom is not obtained by lowering or slouching the seat height, if possible. And, please master, never give up any luxurious footroom.

I think the factory Prius team has done a very commendable job, miraculously getting the user fitment to accomodate the vast majority of passengers as it is now. Just amazing. :)

7. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I can't for the life of me understand why the bladder is such a problem for people. This issue comes up again and again and again. I'm starting to think people are trolling the issue. Just get fuel when the light blinks and you won't run out of gas. Yeah, in the winter you may only be able to go 400 miles instead of 500, but 400 miles is still more range than most cars on the road.

8. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I agree 100% with you.

9. samiam

samiam Antipodean Prius Poster

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My Top Ten:
    1. Selectable instrumentation displayed on MFD
    2. G-Book features (in English)
    3. Selectable language option
    4. PHEv capability
    5. Lighter & more powerful storage batt.
    6. Ditto 12v batt.
    7. Self-inflating tyres
    8. Improved floor & cargo mats
    9. More accurate fuel/fuel flow sensor ("gas guage")
    10. Sunroof

10. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Me behind the steering wheel! :D

11. cleblanc

cleblanc New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    We just bought a new Prius a month ago and can not even get 400 miles out of the tank - I would be happy if we could - my husband is filling up every 4 days. So I think the bladder tank is a problem. He usually fills up when it gets down to 1 bar - possibly 2. What does everyone else do to get over 400 miles to a tank. I am calculating that we get about 42 mpg.

12. trexuphigh

trexuphigh New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've only had my Prius two weeks and I've taken it on long trips already (>100 miles in length) I think I can throw in my 2 Canadian cents. I so far would change the gear select leaver and replace it with buttons like the P button presently featured. As a highrise dweller I have no use for a Plugin as there are no outlets near my stall in the parkcade. I find the seat comfy on my 180lb 6ft frame as does the 5' tall wife who has no issues with the rear visibility. If there is a visibility issue with the prius it is front visibility as I'm used to seeing the front of my cars as I came off an Xterra.

13. trexuphigh

trexuphigh New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It depends on what type of travel you do. On my quick 2.5 mile trips to work I get about 37-40 MPG as the engine needs to warm up for what is a 8 minute ride in traffic. On longer trips I can get about 48-55 MPG (over a trip of 20 miles or more) 1 on a brand new 2008 Base with 200 miles on it by driving the speed limit. Also, consider the fact that your Prius has the MPG realtime gauge a way of learning how to drive efficiently. I think of it as a gauge linked to my wallet. I do not accererate as fast as I use to in my Xterra and I coast when I see a red light ahead. I'm frugal without looking lame and ticking off those behind me. Are you using AC or Heat a lot? Both decrease fuel economy. If you highway drive alot use cruise control.

14. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I concur. I would love to have the mileage bar graph be able to toggle between time and distance along the x axis. 10 km bars would be interesting as well as the standard 5 minute bars.

15. jeffreykb

jeffreykb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Any PHEV and/or Li holdouts?

Based on the my info, it is unclear when (and if) Toyota will release a Prius PHEV to the general public. If the PHEV is not released with the next generation of HSD, any holdouts for PHEV on this forum that were seriously considering an upgrade?

Per Toyota, even Lithium battery technology is questionable for release in the next generation...any holdouts on this item?

It may be 2010...or longer...

I think Li battery technology is really the major upgrade by itself...with the same warranty worth waiting for it. Unless NiMH battery has improved significantly...anybody know?

16. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

I am a definite hold out for PHEV. My '04 pkg 9 only has 35000mi so I can go quite a bit longer, but if a Prius comes with a plug I'm in.

17. rfruth

rfruth Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    more MPG & less emissions ! - hatchback or liftback call it what you will but I want one !

18. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    "... a way for you to disable the reverse and seatbelt beeps."

19. A. B. Hair

A. B. Hair New Member

Rural area called Powdersville, 10 miles out of Gr
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    An easier operating audio system.

20. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

1. Bite your tongue on the hatchback issue.

This is tad more difficult without a hatchback.

(I'm with you on the adjustable seat though...and with everyone else on the telescoping wheel.)

Attached Files: