1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I wired My Garage For Wall Charger

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by John6012, Aug 24, 2018.

1. John6012

John6012 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I've alway been a do-it-yourself person long before it was cool to repair thing around the home. Long ago I bought a Reader's Digest home repair book that tells how to wire, plumb=it is the yellow book.
    Anyway, that was the book that taught me how to wire for various things from r120V receptacles to 220V dryer receptacles.
    I bought the Chargepoint 220V wall charger off of Ebay for $336.00 and then in the heat of summer decided that I absolutely had to wire it up. I had some 8 Ga wire (multiple strand stuff) and found that I needed more so I checked Lowes and Home Depot and Ebay again and found that Ebay had the best prices on that wire with free shipping so why not? I received the wire in a couple of days and began the wiring process. I read where one needs a GFI 220V breaker but the Chargepoint instructions say no so I bought a cheaper non-GFI breaker for my 200 Amp breaker box. Ran the wires down the flex tube to the breaker and left it at that until I did the remainder of wiring across the garage and down the wall about 4 feet from the ceiling. That made it a little easier since I didn't have to pull the wires though all the insulation.
    Ran the wires with little problems since the builder had already drilled a hole for wiring through the top plate. The problem was that the wires are fairly large in diameter and I couldn't run all three at the same time so I ran one and tied a nylon string on it, pulled it back up in the attic and taped the other two wires on the first wire and pulled it through to the hole that I'd cut for the receptacle. I wired the receptacle, put on the plate and then went back tot he breaker box to wire the 40 Amp breaker. Viola!, the Chargepoint lit up and I could now charge the car in a couple of hours vs 4-6 with the 120V cord that came with the Prius Prime.
    Later I went up after a cool spell weather-wise and pulled the wires out and ran them through electrical PVC 3/4" X 10' tubing, clamped the tubing down with both plumber's tape and hooks that I'd purchased at Lowes.
    After all is said and done, it's nice to be able to charge the Prius in 2-3 hours but not necessary since I'm retired and don't make several trips per day, maybe 2-3 trips less than 10 miles per week so maybe I should have stuck to the 120V charger?? I'd make more sense in retrospect since there was probably close to $425-475 on wiring, breaker etc and the charging unit. Worse, the heat int he attic was relentlessly oppressive and dangerous to someone 74 years old. So it could have even been more costly-Ambulance, ER etc...or worse.

GrGramps and bisco like this.
  2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Goo job!

Even though it may not be "economical" now, when you upgrade to a full BEV, or the next owners do, they will be appreciative of having an L2 EVSE available.

I charge my Leaf on L1 only. But since I am doing a large electrical upgrade, I will be installing some L2 now and leaving headroom to allow for multiple vehicles charging simultaneously. Roughly 60KW of charging available hopefully. :)

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    turn the page, don't look back. in the future, try not tone so impetuous.:cool:

4. PatL3

PatL3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Great job for your age John. I hope to be able to do that at your age. I am installing the Siemens Charger on sale from Costco tomorrow. I have it a bit easier, with existing conduit back to panel, with volume to add my 40A circuit for new Nema L6-50 receptacle. It does help that I am a license Electrician. I have had the car for few weeks now and charged it via the Toyota provided L1 cord, which works fine. Why I went with the L2 there is few reasons. Shorter charge time, delayed charging if wanting to take advantage of off peak Utility rates and not having a large load plugged into a 20A circuit that was not dedicated for just charging. Any plug in receptacle that is constantly plug in an out, the internal friction between receptacle & plug will loosen.
    Then take a loose receptacle and draw 15A current through it things going to heat up.

GFCI vs Regular circuit breaker for L2 Charger (240V). using the Regular circuit breaker is code acceptable.
    Now if adding a circuit for L1 Charger, it Will need to be dedicated and have GFCI protection, via GFCI 20A Breaker or 20A GFCI Receptacle.

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's why I always recommend a hanging extension cord pigtail. I bought a pack of 5 off of Amazon for less than $20. 10awg wire with a flat connection head and 1ft. I plug that in and it stays in. Then the L1 EVSE plugs into that. When it wears out, change the cord.

Since you're an electrician it's not difficult to just swap out the outlet every year but for most they'd probably prefer the extension.