1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I wish I had read about the tailgating before~

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by EthelMertz, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Yippeekyaa

Yippeekyaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Interpreting a bumper sticker on a Prius as a threat that they will use a gun because of someone's driving behavior is a sign of mental instability and anyone who comes to that conclusion should have their posting privileges on Priuschat revoked

2. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i wouldn't mind a bumper sticker like

i bet my brakes are better than yours. do you want me to check them for you?

3. PointCounterPt

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was driving on the beltline this afternoon and an angry guy in a sporty Mazda zoomed around from behind me to pass on the left, then pulled in front of me to get off on a right-hand off-ramp only to immediately have to slam on his brakes because of backed up cars on the off-ramp.

I just smiled when I drove right past him on the right and was a quarter mile down the road before his car got through the light. :sneaky:

4. bobzchemist

bobzchemist Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hey - y'all are stealing our wonderful Atlanta drivers...

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You're off to a flying start, lol.

If someone's got a bumper sticker pertaining to guns on their back bumper, I take it as being there for various reasons, not all of them peaceful. Guess I should get banned too?

My ignore list grows...

Rebound and PointCounterPt like this.
  6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Having spent the first half of my life in Toronto Canada and the rest here in Virginia, I think I am qualified to say the difference of opinions here point to a cultural difference.
    "It's a Southern Thang!" :D

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A couple centuries ago, numerous states had similar requirements, at least for households including an able-bodied male within a certain wide age range. A few even provided assistance for those unable to afford such. But these laws fell be the wayside after the annual musters were not happening.
    It shows up in other regions too, though less strongly. E.g. interior West.

jerrymildred and Prodigyplace like this.
  8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I travel this section while supporting a major annual bicycling event. Yes, this HOV section feels weird, especially the first portion before the merges.

I see this only on a weekend, lacking commuter traffic. Do the regular lanes ever back up, leaving just the HOV lanes moving well for the transit buses? If not, it would seem difficult to justify the current arrangement.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I almost never travel this road alone, doubly so with the rush hour HOV lane restriction. It's usually me and my wife, occasionally during the HOV times. I can't recall the left (non HOV) lane ever being backed up.

That's another dangerous scenario: I get nervous as hell, sailing along in an unfettered lane, especially right lane, with a bunch of pent up speed jockeys to my left.

I tried emailing: it landed on a couple of engineers' desks, then a Pomo constabulary: nothing really conclusive came out of it.

It'll take a few flaming wrecks?

10. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lately I have experienced the "out of nowhere" driver that seems to come after one has checked all blind spots. I make a right turn on a major road and "bam!!", out of nowhere is out of control angry driver right on my tail, like I drove in front of him on purpose. Or, I'm making a left turn at a stop light, no one is behind me and "bam!!" out of nowhere is out of control angry driver. What the heck? Where are they coming from and why are they in such a hurry?

ePWR and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. PointCounterPt

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "That's another dangerous scenario: I get nervous as hell, sailing along in an unfettered lane, especially right lane, with a bunch of pent up speed jockeys to my left.

I tried emailing: it landed on a couple of engineers' desks, then a Pomo constabulary: nothing really conclusive came out of it."

I'm very much a word geek Mendel Leisk and your very articulate language just made me smile! See, look at the avatar . . . ;)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Yippeekyaa

Yippeekyaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

To ignore someone of a differing opinion only shows that you are not open to reason or an open exchange of ideas. Bury your head in the sand all you wish. It's your choice. To publicly make the claim here that you added me to your ignore list shows that you are a troll.

13. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Someone behind me in another Prius honked because I took more than 300 ms to pull into the intersection when the light turned green. Huh? :eek:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Barnett Highway near Vancouver BC:
    I just got word that route changes should keep us off the Barnett and Lougheed Highways this year. Yippee! Those were not high points of the ride.

It also means that we won't be at Rocky Point Park for a rest stop, which has been nice some years, especially when other entertainment was happening at the same time. But these changes will keep a couple thousand riders from clogging Mendel's neighborhood.

15. WesPThanks

WesPThanks New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I like to hold down my window washer fluid until it soaks there wind shield. Normally they fall back after that :) It works great if they have a nice clean shiny car.

WilDavis likes this.
  16. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    …the only problem with moving to the right (here in USA) is that in doing so you're quite likely to cut someone off as they're passing you on the inside.

It has been my experience in my 34 years of driving in the USA (I moved here from UK in 1983) that lane-discipline is not only unheard of on this side of The Pond, but it is a totally alien concept. In fact, it is my belief that if lane-discipline was instilled to drivers (and enforced) there would be no need at all for speed limits! I recently read a study (from Germany, I think) which concluded that most highway accidents are caused by drivers changing lanes incorrectly, and in an unsafe manner.

When I first started driving over here, the first time I drove on the Mass Turnpike (I-90) I thought that the idiot passing me on the inside had lost a tyre/wheel and was out of control. It has become far worse over the past 30 years! (Distracted driving, tailgating, "me-first!' - ah, I'm always forgetting that we're now living in The Age of Entitlement!)

RMB and jerrymildred like this.
  17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In a sense, nearly all head-on collisions, failures to negotiate curves, drifts or slides off the road, and drivers falling asleep at the wheel, involve 'drivers changing lanes incorrectly and in an unsafe manner'. So, in that sense, the claim applies to the U.S. too.

18. ePWR

ePWR Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've experienced that too. After owning a Prius for just 16 months, I'm learning that there are many very rude, impatient (dare I say crazy?) Prius drivers out there. Tailgaters, excessive speed, erratic lane changes, etc.

I had a guy in a new Prime give me the "one fingered wave" a couple days ago. Then blowing by me crazily fast. Apparently, my old Prius was not going fast enough for him and his new fancy exotic plug-in! Driving like he was, he will wreck it soon enough. And I was under the impression that all Prius owners were rational, peace-loving, careful, safe responsible drivers? Ha! I hate to join 'em but maybe I should go back to fast & furious. If I drive the speed limit or just above, all the crazies and haters are right on my tail. But when driving more aggressively they seem to leave me alone.

#98 ePWR, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
  19. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As a kid, back in the UK (1950s/1960s) I remember seeing a bumper-sticker which read "…if you can read this, YOU'RE TOO DAMNED CLOSE!!"

Prodigyplace likes this.
  20. hackenfort

hackenfort Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Last night, driving about 3-4 miles above the posted speed limit, Jeep driver riding my bumper. Flashing light, horn and hand motions. He ends up passing me in a no passing zone. About 1 mile down the road I end up at the red light behind him.

He puts down the windows and starts yelling how these Prius shouldn't be on the road, that we are a hazard.

Funny I'm a hazard for driving the speed limit. Just don't get the hate?