1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ice and snow windshield cover recommendations?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bruceha_2000, Nov 8, 2004.

1. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Some years ago my mother got my wife an ice & snow windshield cover from LL Bean. I tried to get another last year but they no longer sell them. Has anyone found a model they like? Several on the web talk about using suction cups on the inside of the windshield. I'm not sure I like that idea much, nor do I see why they would be necessary. The LL Bean cover has 2 flaps that are dropped inside the front doors and they seem to hold it fine. I wouldn't mind one that is taller, the LL Bean cover leaves the bottom 1/4 of the windshield open to the elements. I am not interested in the covers made of blue poly (like cheap boat tarps). That stuff is good for a couple of years at best and starts to fall apart.

2. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No one uses these things? Come on, SOME of you must. :)

3. tag

tag Senior Member

I've never used one of these things but I've seen them.

Something about closing the cover inside the front doors sort of bothers me. Wouldn't doing that adversely affect the weather-stripping or something?

4. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It hasn't so far. The material the current one is made of is flexible and pretty thin, about the thickness of a credit card.

Of course I guess I could just get off my duff and replace the old furniture (enduring the wrath of my older daughter who doesn't deal well with change) in the dining room with the older (family) furniture that is stored in the garage, get rid of the old sleeper sofa out there that was replaced with other old family furniture, etc. Then my wife could park in the garage again and we wouldn't need another windshield cover. :)

5. tag

tag Senior Member

I hear that! The garage is off limits as it's our dog's domain (in fact, I think he went out and recorded a quitclaim deed to it or something).

One of those covers would sure come in handy for the freakin' 3 inches of rime ice that seems to become welded to the windshields around here in the winter.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I used a snow cover for exactly one winter. More times than not, some of the snow would find its way between the sheet and the window. The retained heat from the inside of the car would melt the snow and in the morning there would be a sheet of hardened ice between the windshield and the cover. The only thing worse than a night of snow was a night of ice storming. The cover proved all but worthless.

7. tag

tag Senior Member

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    HOLY COW!! Now that's a protective sheet.
    Why yes, I believe that would work much better.

9. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer\";p=\"50060)</div>
    Hmmm, never have that problem with the LL Bean one. Maybe it depends on the material or how it attaches to the car. Yet 1 more reason to be highly selective in buying another one.

10. disneydad

disneydad Junior Member

Here in New England, they are very handy, I got mine at Wal-mart last year for cheap, i have a pair for my car. Never scrap your windows ( front , back)again. The ends fold over the edge towards your doors. just close the car doors and it hold just fine. open your door pull it off , give it a quick shake and your done.

That full car cover, a few post back looks like it would be really hard to deal with.

11. rtish

rtish Junior Member

In the earlier post, ..Nov. 12, 2004 at 10:56pm... is that partial car cover the L.L. Bean one? If not, who manufactures it? I am thinking about using it while camping inside my Prius.
    Thanks!
    Rena
    [email protected]

12. tag

tag Senior Member

Only thing I know is it's available from Walter Drake:

CLICK HERE

13. Luv2Glide

Luv2Glide New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am also looking for a snow windshield cover similar to the one that bruceha_2000 and disneydad mentioned above since I too live in New England (it works excellent to 40 degrees below zero and the snow slides right off of it). I used a snow cover made by Axius called Sno-Off for years on my Camry and loved it, but the jumbo size only comes to 36" and it is too short for the Prius. It seems that there are many Prius owners from the North East who would desire a similar cover. If anyone comes across one that actually fits the Prius, please let me know. Thanks.

14. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't park outside anymore but when I did I found that the best snow/ice cover is plain old bubble wrap. It comes in various widths and thickness and can be easily cut to length. Just tuck one end into the door and close it. On the other side you can pull it tight and then close that door to hold it firmly in place. When you remove it the ice or snow falls off and you can roll it up for later use.

15. FishHawk

FishHawk New Member

The biggest problem is your wipers. Do what we do at the dealership. Just raise the wipers off the windshield. You'll still have to scrape the windshield but the wipers won't be wielded to the glass.
    FishHawk

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FishHawk @ Dec 18 2006, 07:01 AM) [snapback]363657[/snapback]</div>
    You'd be surprised how many folks around here you see driving around with busted wipers because they tried to turn them on after they had been parked and frozen overnight.

Many years ago when I actually did park outside - no garage back then - I used an old tarp for awhile. Trouble was, the old tarp was apparently oily, left a smear on the windshield far worse than any snow/ice.

I just got used to clearing snow/ice off the old fashioned way. And also lifting up the wiper blades to make sure they were not frozen to the windshield.

I also noticed that frozen wiper blades happened a lot more on cars/trucks that "park" the blades below the windshield. Older vehicles that - very sensibly - "park" the wipers right at the windshield defroster outlet never seemed to have that problem. Terrible for aerodynamics though.

The worst vehicle for winter wiper action was a 1976 Chevy Monte Carlo I had during college. It was already 8 years old. When the wipers "parked" they actually tucked down so you couldn't even see them. Even with winter wiper blades, they easily froze and did a crappy job keeping snow/ice off the windshield.

The best vehicle for driving in heavy snow was/is my 1984 Ford F-150. The wipers "park" right above the windshield defroster outlets. Winter wiper blades are a nice option, but not necessary in that truck even when snowplowing at my hobby farm.

17. Luv2Glide

Luv2Glide New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I know about lifting the windshield wipers up, but you still have to scrape the windshield. I'm looking for a cover (like Sno-Off) where it takes care of it for you. I've Googled, but can't find one to fit the size of the front window of the Prius. A product like this would be ideal for people with disabilities and people in a hurry. I hope someone is listening out there to invent such a product because many of us Prius owners who live in areas of snow and ice could use it!

18. member

member New Member

Periodic application of RainX will make ice, snow, water etc come off much easier and keep windows clean longer.