1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ICE comes on an awful lot...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by cooljw, Nov 21, 2012.

1. cooljw

cooljw Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have a 2007 Gen II Prius with 60k miles on it. I used to get 50mpg easy. Nowadays more like 44mpg. Trying to figure out if something is wrong with the car.

The only thing I have noticed is that the internal combustion engine (ICE) is on, and comes on a lot more than it used to. This definitely reduces mpg. I have two main observations:

1.) When pressing the gas pedal, it takes a lot less of a push to get the ICE to come on. Sometimes, simply pushing the gas pedal at all triggers the ICE.

2.) The ICE stays on for a lot longer periods than before. For example, just driving around there are times when it will stay for several seconds after I've already come to a complete stop.

Is this a normal sign of battery degradation or could something else be wrong?

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Why mileage gets worse in winter | PriusChat - some if it might be heater use

Also, please run the test at Weird stuff happening? MPGs dropping? Test The Battery | PriusChat after the car has sat MANY hours or overnight. Please tell us the 3 values (not just 1). Don't go changing the battery first until you tell us the values...

If you have HIDs, you can avoid unnecessary cycles on the lights by toggling between off and parking light positions.

Weird stuff can start happening w/a low or bad 12 volt. Don't waste $ on having a dealer "test" the 12 volt (07 Prius Dead - Any Guesses? | PriusChat). If you're on you're original 12 volt, it's likely near or at end of life now.

3. cooljw

cooljw Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It shouldn't be winter related issues because the drop started this Spring, and I am in SoCal and never run the heater.

But thank you for the battery tips! I will test and report back.

4. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Another possibility is that the inverter system is overheating due to the well known inverter coolant pump failing. Make sure you have turbulence in the coolant reservoir tank, next to the inverter. If that loop is not working, then the computer will limit the current through the inverter as a protective measure, and require the engine to make up the difference. It's a little low in miles for that, but good to check.

Solman636 likes this.
  5. cooljw

cooljw Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ok finished the battery test.

1.) Shows 11.9v after not driving for 1.5 days.
    2.) Drops to 11.5v during power on test.

I guess it's time for a new battery. Will report back my results after changing the battery.

I saw another thread about cleaning the mass air flow sensor, I will try that too and report back.

Solman636 likes this.
  6. cooljw

cooljw Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ok I put in a new Optima yellowtop a few days ago. The MPG and EV mode performance has definitely improved. It is now possible for me to get 50mpg again, whereas before it was difficult without severely upsetting people in the rearview mirror. Guess the new battery did the trick.

One of these days I'll get around to cleaning the MAF too.

Solman636, PriusGuy32 and F8L like this.