1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ICE comes on anyway

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by priuscatprimeguy, Feb 26, 2017.

1. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The odd thing is, I was waiting for the traffic to clear on 14 mile road to make my left turn and ICE was already running

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  2. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    DUDE!! That totally sucks the big linguini!! I wonder if it's a software problem that could be repaired with a reset/reboot approach? The main difficulty will be to find someone qualified to troubleshoot this problem who gives a damn!! Corporate call Time!!
    Need to find another Prime like yours, in your area, who'll go on a little tour with you!! I haven't followed every detail of your saga, but is the problem only occurring in very cold weather, near sea level? A road trip to Michigan crossed my mind, but you're not exactly 2 blocks away!!

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  3. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    don't forget, both my car and the rental Prime exhibit the same results:eek:

4. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you considered not driving on 14 mile road? Problem solved.;)

Really weird all the way around.

5. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    yup, I could drive down the side streets at 25 MPH till I accumulate 1.5-2.0 miles then continue on 14 mile road, that's what I did last year and early this year.:D

Mark57 and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  6. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ah, I hadn't been following closely enough to read that!! So what do we do now, get a pronouncement from Corporate??!! Come on Toyota, help us out here!! Our friend has a mystery that deserves an answer/solution!!

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We're going to need more technical details, a video with audio of this problem. In particular, the display showing SOC, power, and speed:

• trip meter - gives distance and MPG
    • speed
    • mode (green blob, needs to be sharper)
    • temperature
    • SOC %
    • requested power
    With the audio, we should be able to tell when the engine comes on and work the problem backwards. If you can call out where this happens, we can use Google Earth to look at the grade and NOAA for weather conditions.

Bob Wilson

#507 bwilson4web, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  8. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't have an elaborate system like @john1701a has but I do have a cell phone to take videos, on Wednesday November 15th I will be taking someone to their doctor's appointment around 10:30 am. I will ask this person to videotape the dashboard when we leave for the appointment.

bisco and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  9. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    there is a 100% chance of rain on Wednesday with a high temperature of 44 F and a low temperature of 37 F. I will be traveling eastbound on 14 mile road till I get to N. Campbell road south to 12 mile road east to just before Dequindre road.

Google Map 255 west 14 mile road Clawson , Michigan to 1385 Twelve Mile Rd #200, Madison Heights, MI 48071

10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Here's more data to ponder...

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I use an iPhone to take the video (updated in edit) of a benchmark. If you have a fixture to hold the cell phone to the dash, say using 'blue' masking tape (peals clean for painting) and/or consider fabricating something using cardboard and tape. Once started, leave it running; start the car, and; replicate the benchmark. Do not worry if there is an 'opps'. Just lessons learned; fix, and; replicate the next day.

I am curious about the double "EV" green icon, @john1701a in your video. I only see a single one on my Prius Prime Plus: ICE comes on anyway | Page 26 | PriusChat

Bob Wilson

12. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's EV ECO and EV (not auto) I don't remember where the setting is for that but tomorrow when I get into my car I'll start pushing some buttons

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Curious. I use "Normal" mode since I found ECO mode too lethargic and POWER too fidgety. Notice how the video lets us see obscure aspects we've grown used to but different from what others might not use.

Bob Wilson

#513 bwilson4web, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  14. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Try Drive Mode button to the right of the shifter.

15. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    ECO mode.JPG ECO mode display.JPG

Chazz8 likes this.
  16. upnorth

upnorth Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Temperature here 18 degrees and lower at times, have had the ICE start and run for a short time in EV mode on two occasions. Once briefly under hard acceleration over 60mph. Except for those two times EV mode has been all electric at speeds up to 65mph. Experimenting a bit... By cranking up the temp, seat and steering wheel heater have been able to get the climate load near 50%. With snow/ice on streets and cold have seen miles/kilowatt hour drop as low as just over 2, down from 5 in more temperate weather. Indicated range is down from low 30s to 25.3 this morning but with climate set at a more moderate 67 degrees and using seat and steering wheel heater actual range is looking more like 20 miles. Conditions where my gas powered SUV gets around 8 mpg - to keep things in perspective. Can't wait to see how it handles temperatures at 0 and below. This Prime is such a fun and interesting car and it looks great too!

Mark57, bisco and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Perhaps a little redundant but this is how I analyzed engine warm-up underway:

There is an interesting frame-by-frame result using "." and "," to forward and reverse:
    • frame - observations
    • 1 - EV icon lit and the auto shape by power curve is green with EV
    • 2 to 6 - EV icon goes bank and auto shape changes slightly smaller with green EV and power bar goes away (could be undulation of road)
    • 7 to 8 - auto shape remains an outline
    • 9 to + - auto shape outline joined by power bar (could be undulation of road)
    This suggests there are some rapid changes, faster than an unaided eye can see, that can be documented by the video.

So I used "." and "," to forward and reverse frame-by-frame. Every time the 1/10th mile indication changed, I recorded the metric in a spreadsheet:
    [​IMG]
    • During the first 9-18 seconds, the engine spins up to get oil pressure up without a mechanical load. Then gas injection starts.
    • The engine starts and runs with a constant fuel consumption for about 60 seconds, 1 minute.
    • Once warmed up, the engine fuel consumption increases to sustain the speed and replace the missing charge lost while the engine warmed up.
    • Around 200 seconds, the traction battery SOC was high enough that the regular hybrid mode that cycles the engine can start.
    In my test, the switch was operated manually. But now I am wondering if the OP may be suffering from a defective switch or loose connector that might be sensitive to something else and spoofing a button push. Some of the worst intermittent problems have been traced to loose/defective connectors and or switches. They won't fail unless some specific conditions are met of which one is "DO NOT FAIL WHEN SERVICE TECHNICIAN IS WATCHING."

Bob Wilson

#517 bwilson4web, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  18. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Reading all these extremely-cold-weather posts, I get a little insight on how truly spoiled I am to be living in Socal. I admire you folks who can deal with what those temperatures entail!! BRRRRRR!!

19. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    what's the chances that both my car AND the rental Prime having the same defective switch or loose connector?

20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ah, the "nut behind the wheel" hypothesis. So far, no one has replicated your symptoms other than when I pushed the button to put the car in hybrid vehicle (HV) mode which I recorded on a cell phone video.

I would like to see a similar video in your car to find out if it is identical or different from manually pushing the button. Then we can document that it happens without pushing the button ... on video.

We use video recording to look at what the operator is doing just before or during the event. There may be some previously, unknown sequence that can trigger the event. But first, let's eliminate the obvious, the button push.

Bob Wilson