1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ICE comes on anyway

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by priuscatprimeguy, Feb 26, 2017.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks, i forgot to include that. but charging indoors, even unheated, is completely different.

2. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When I got into my car this afternoon after charging the battery the cabin temperature was very warm (sunlight) did the same left turn onto 14 mile road, accelerated to 35 MPH set cruise to 35 MPH. ICE did not kick in

3. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Aha! So then, it sounds like the expectation/rumor that B mode behaves like Tesla's "normal" mode," as far as you can tell at least, is true?

That is, in EV operation with a less-than-full battery, it's exactly the same as "D" except that it engages more regenerative braking when you ease your foot off the gas, true?

iPhone ? Pro

thatoneraccoon likes this.
  4. thatoneraccoon

thatoneraccoon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Well I'm not sure about Tesla, I haven't drove one yet. However, it does seem like "B" is just a stronger Regen. I have started to use it more, like when I have to stop quick I'll slap the joy stick in B and recover more juice :D

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

mr88cet likes this.
  5. Captmiddy

Captmiddy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    FYI - I don't think it is just the outside temp and the fact he is charging outside. I don't own a garage so I have only charged outside. I have gotten into the car when it was below zero and had it stay in EV mode until I was going down a long hill. In fact only 1 house out of seven in my section of the street owns a garage so if anyone else gets a plug-in they will also be charging outside.

I would have to wonder if the more likely issue is that the battery heater isn't working as it should be. If the battery isn't being warmed during charge as expected, the car would start off cold, as soon as he gets moving the battery forces the ICE on when too much load is pulled for the cold battery.

6. thatoneraccoon

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yeah I don't think the heater is working as it should be or a battery temp sensor isn't working properly. Something that should be able to be checked by a tech using Toyota tis one would think

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  7. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Prime charging status 2-9-2017.JPG

Here's the battery warmer in action, the left hand side shows the five hours to charge the battery, then the two other charges is the battery warmer in action. seems like warming the battery every twelve hours is really not enough times to adequately warm the battery

8. thatoneraccoon

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Oh wow, yeah it sure looks that way. I would almost think 2 hours would be pushing it

9. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    welp, I took my usual trip to Kroger, left turn onto 14 mile road. Upon completion of the left turn accelerated to 35 MPH set cruise. outside temp. 46 degrees F. ICE did NOT come on.

10. thatoneraccoon

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Well it looks like 46 is warm enough not to invoke the ice. I wonder what the cut off is temp wise.

Also if tonight gets into the 30's, I'll fully charge my prime and I'll park it outside and not have it plugged in and see if the ice comes on, on my way to work. I have a hill and I usually take it to 50+ mph going up it, and I'll let ya know what mine does

11. thatoneraccoon

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    And next day I'll try leaving plugged in outside over night just too see what it does

bisco and priuscatprimeguy like this.
  12. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    50 degrees was the cutoff for the 2012-2015 PIP

13. thatoneraccoon

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Well tonight is supposed to be 55, but rest of the week will be in the 20's and 30's. I'm also thinking of reworking the test. Leave plugged in over night with the 120, then next day 240 and 3 day not plugged in and see what happens. 1488298907070.png

14. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Excellent! Looking forward to it when my P.Prime arrives.

I realize this is a little off-topic, but just for comparison, the "normal" way to to drive a Tesla is with lots of regen. The effect is sometimes described as "single-pedal driving," since you comparatively rarely hit the brake pedal. You can switch to less regen, for a corresponding range reduction, but I gather that most Tesla drivers stick with "normal mode." I gather that the BMW i3 works similarly. I suspect I will do the same on my P.Prime when it arrives. Relatedly, on the Volt and the Bolt, "L"ow-gear on the shifter does essentially that too. They also have paddle on the back of the steering wheel that brings the car to a pre-defined reasonable-distance stop using as much regeneration as it possibly can.

iPhone ? Pro

15. thatoneraccoon

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yeah, I'd always use the volts "L" sadly "B" isn't as strong as a regen, kinda wish we were givin an option to adjust that

priuscatprimeguy and mr88cet like this.
  16. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Good info (not as strong regen as the Volt/Bolt). Assuming that greater regen is all "B" does (again, in EV mode with a less-than fully-charged battery), then I suspect I'll use it a lot.

I've heard at least one comment to the effect that the P.Prime uses 100% regenerative braking until it becomes ineffective, and then only then kicks in friction braking. If so, then that would be great, but I don't know how s/he can be sure that that's how it works. Since brakes must, above all else, stop the car with absolute reliability, I'd think that Toyota would be very very reluctant to put in anything that could turn off the friction brakes.

iPhone ? Pro

17. thatoneraccoon

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Maybe it's just because I'm learning the Prius, but my braking score is a lot lower when I use B mode. However, you can see on the mfd that it recharges more and can feel it too. I should play with it more. So far I use it when I got to stop hard

mr88cet likes this.
  18. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Might be interesting to drive the same route a few time (in EV) in the same manner other than D vs B, and see how MPGe differs. I can't right off from the various YouTube videos whether it has an MPGe readout in EV mode...?

iPhone ? Pro

19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I can't tell as I'm ~95% driving using dynamic cruise control ... all the time. The only thing is when someone turns off the road below 27-28 mph, the silly thing notices "Oh no one is there" followed by "OH NO, I'm too slow, kick myself out of dynamic cruise control."

I wish it would just resume speed like it does when following stopped traffic at a light.

Bob Wilson

20. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Speaking as a Gen-2 driver waiting for the call from the dealership saying that my P.Prime has arrived, I'm really looking forward to having the opportunity to be annoyed by the Prime's adaptive cruise control not driving ideally well! :)

iPhone ? Pro