1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ICE comes on anyway

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by priuscatprimeguy, Feb 26, 2017.

1. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    CTRL+C (copy) then CTRL+V (paste):D

bisco likes this.
  2. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    and yet still baffled by the fact I can't find navigation map thread:cry:

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    really? you have to use the keywords inside the quote.

4. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    lol, it was in reference to your post that stated map navigation thread in this very thread "ICE come on anyway" not the thread you are trying to give me:D:p:eek::rolleyes:

5. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    and those "keywords" are????????

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    navigation map version

7. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    navigation map version.JPG

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you searching all forums? it's the first hit when i search.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you need more help, the thread is in the prime audio forum.

10. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Immediately.

11. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    About 3/4.

12. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    well, darn, you have a magic car:p

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It is entirely possible there is a temperature range that the symptom occurs. Living in Dixie, it hard to test sub-freezing temperatures and earlier today, I could not trigger it at 50F indicated.

I parked the car at 75% SOC and temperatures are approaching freezing. I'll try to replicate it. It did not start engine.

Putting full charge on and will try again.

Bob Wilson

#873 bwilson4web, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  14. That would do it in cold temps. You're drawing over 100 A from the battery and, from my experience, under similar conditions, the computer takes over and says: "Redirect the energy to the engine."

15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It is important to video record every test because the failures teach us too:
    • Delay between cruise control ON and SET - did not Engine-ON
      • cruise control ON while stopped
      • cruise control SET while ~44 mph
      • 27 seconds between ON and SET
      • 36F (2 C)
    • No delay - Engine-ON occurred
      • Due to poor contrast, the video is unusable for metrics.
      • cruise control ON and SET while ~44 mph
      • 36F (2 C)
    I’ve analyzed the video. Temp 34-38F (2-3C), 100% SOC at start.

Bob Wilson

#875 bwilson4web, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  16. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's been awhile since ICE kicked in for me. I started a new month on the ECO dashboard and it's at 999.9 MPG. so 8 days since ICE kicked in.:D

benagi likes this.
  17. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My ICE starts up some mornings while driving in EV mode too. Have the parameters that cause it been clarified ? I apologize if the answer is already in this thread and would appreciate a post #.

FWIW, I drive a hilly road in temps around 20F after a long soak, and the SOC is 10-20% when I start my drive. Since the ICE operation is automatic I'm reasonably sure I am triggering a condition. The display shows I am in EV mode, but the energy consumption bar is blank and my EV icon disappears.

I'm most inclined to think that the trigger is a battery current draw above some threshold for the conditions at the time. Cold batteries push much less current, and I think that the trigger occurs when I step on the go pedal. If I am right, @priuscatprimeguy triggers the car behavior by acceleration, not the car speed per se.

18. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It seems to be my consensus that driving immediately, accelerating to a speed of 35 MPH while engaging the cruise control. It has been 9 days since ICE came on. The only thing I'm doing different is NOT engaging Cruise control. Accelerating quickly to 35 MPH does not necessarily cause ICE to kick in. Also the criteria is car is left outside overnight and only unplugged when I leave for my trip and the temperature is below 50 F

Oniki likes this.
  19. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It was obvious you were doing something outside of the "predictable" use cases. We've encountered that a number of times over the years, where some critical bit of information was unknowingly omitted.

My all-time favorite was from a Prius owner who complained about the car rolling forward unexpectedly. It took weeks for us to figure out that this owner, who had been driving for over 50 years, had never been behind the wheel of a vehicle with an automatic transmission. It never dawned on any of us that natural forward-creep behavior was something he hadn't ever encountered over all those decades. That doesn't exist with manual transmissions. It sure was a learning experience for us.

Another big "problem" of the past was the lock-up at start-up. Some owners were reporting the dashboard lighting up like a Christmas tree and the Prius never getting to Ready mode. It would lock the transmission, not allowing you to shift the selector. Eventually, they'd figure out how to force the system off. The next time they'd try, it would work every time. Our debugging efforts took forever. Turns out, when we asked if they were pressing the brake first (as instructed), before pushing the Start button, they actually weren't doing that. Not being attentive enough to notice the timing was key. If you were slightly ahead with the button... only a fraction of a second... the self-inflicted problem arose.

One other story was the "brake pause" issue. When you've been driving for that many miles and there's a claim of the system having a dangerous flaw, yet never experienced it yourself... despite trying to replicate the claimed situation... it makes you wonder. After weeks of posts, we finally got our answer. You had to be braking aggressively, then smack into a substantial road-hazard, at the peak of deceleration. I rarely ever brake that hard. Hitting a pot-hole or train-track that that exact right moment was quite a bit less likely. Finally putting those pieces of the puzzle together brought a much better understanding. Toyota did indeed tweak the parameters of the brakes to better deal with that rare situation too.

Will they do anything for those choosing to use cruise-control in low-speed driving with cold battery? Most likely not. The "predicable" use of the car is to plug it in overnight. That's an expectation for a plug-in vehicle, especially since it has a battery-warmer. Not doing that defeats the overall purpose of getting owners to equip their overnight parking location with a permanent charging option. That's how they'll get you to upgrade your current plug-in with one offering a larger capacity in the future. Doing less means getting less.

It was yet another interesting learning experience for all of us.

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I concur and want to make it clear there is a second, independent, engine-ON condition, 14F (-10C). There is evidence that some colder climate owners have not been able to replicate the symptom and preconditioning and/or sitting in READY for 5 minutes apparently inhibits the problem.

I'm still investigating to fine tune the criteria. For example, 23 mph is the lowest cruise control speed without dynamic control and 28 mph with dynamic control. What is the lowest speed that cruise control can be turned ON, not SET, and defeat the symptom?

In Dixie, we have limited access to cold temperatures but I'm patient. I've also seen that I can run multiple tests in a day if I can get the car fully charged.

Bob Wilson