1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ICE coming on first thing in the morning

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Captmiddy, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It says that right in the manual. The way I figure it, the idea of defrost is to use dry, heated air to remove moisture from the inside of the window. So, you essentially air-condition the heated air to remove humidity from it. Well, the heat pump can't run as a heater and an air conditioner at the same time, so you need the ICE to provide heat while the heat pump dries the air.

E-GINO likes this.
  2. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I finally got my engine to come on. It went down to 2 F last night and my garage was at 30 F according to the car. It was 15 F outside, but the car drove without the engine (I had the audio system off to listen for the ICE). After several miles, I pressed the EV/HV switch and the engine promptly started. For the rest of the drive, the ICE stayed on even after pushing the switch to return to EV. After a quick stop at an ATM, the ICE started when I powered the car up (EV miles displayed in the HUD were not decreasing). I stopped for breakfast for a half hour and when I drove away I was back in solid EV mode at 16 F outside temperature. Another 5 miles to finish the trip and the FROM START indicator was 100% EV for that last leg.

So as long as I don't put it in HV mode, the car seems to really want to use EV. I turned Eco mode ON for the climate control after I got home. Should have tried that when the engine was on.

Gen 3 for me likes this.
  3. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you turn off all heating functions at 0 degree weather it should work in EV...

4. Captmiddy

Captmiddy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I understand it coming on while I have the front defroster on, but after I turn it off it should return to normal mode. Instead the EV comes on and goes off repeatedly for the rest of my drive in seemingly random ways. It was 19F yesterday when I drove the vehicle for 6 miles completely in EV mode (total drive time was 15 minutes). I didn't need the defroster so it was never put on. Friday it was 28F, I turned on the defroster for 3 minutes to start my drive, it was off the rest of the drive. I had 20% EV mode for that 6 mile drive which took 35 minutes (yes I know, Boston traffic is horrible) the 3 minutes represented about 1/2 mile travel. I should not need to essentially reset the car to get it to pick up the other mode. Even turning off the climate didn't force the car to EV mode on Friday.

5. kevin54

kevin54 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Here is my experience from this morning. I left this morning on a full charge after fully charging the night before - car kept in 43 degree garage. My EV range said 22.4. It was 9 degrees out this morning. I ran in EV mode for a little less than 4 miles before the ICE kicked on when the temp registered 12 degrees. The EV Mode green button remained on however, and still showed 18+ miles available in EV. At no time did the EV button go off. I only knew I was in HV mode cause the KwH indicator showed no reading. After about 4 additional miles of running in HV, it went back to EV mode and stayed there until EV mileage ran out. At no time did I have any defrosters on or the heated seats, etc., just the heat set to 70.

6. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    The order is, as I understand it, first cooling the ambient air to below dew point (de-superheating) by the A/C and then heating it up by the ICE hot cooling liquid (superheating). This way, you get the driest air to the windshield. So, I imagine the A/C evaporator is placed in front of the heat exchanger of the ICE cooling liquid.

7. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Maybe so, but doing that in freezing conditions will cause the evaporator to accumulate ice.

8. Pizza Driver

Pizza Driver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    @Captmiddy Once the ICE comes on, it will not turn off until the engine has warmed up to operating temperature. After that point it will turn off until if falls below operating temperature again. It seems likely that once the car decides it has to turn on the engine, it will assume that the engine will be needed again during the same trip and will operate to keep it at operating temperature.

9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yes, and it was that way on all the cars in which I've looked closely at the radiator.

10. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Cooling down the pre-heated air will increase its relative humidity so will be counterproductive to the goal of clearing the windscreen.
    Sure, at sub freezing temps the A/C becomes less and less effective and ice buildup on the evaporator's fins only adds ineffectiveness, however, at sub freezing temps the A/C is less of a need, even if the ambient cold air is saturated with water vapors, the high temp rise by the heater will make it dry enough to clear the fog.

11. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Which radiator exactly have you looked at?
    The A/C heat exchanger in front of the car's main radiator is the condenser. I am speaking of the evaporator and the small cooling liquid heat exchanger both used to condition the cabin. In most cars you need to do some disassembly to see them.

12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Misread your post there.
    I expect the evaporator is before the coolant heat exchanger(heater core is the term commonly used for it here) on all cars for the reasons you have sited here. While dehumidifying, moisture will collect of the evaporator. If the air is heated before reaching it, the more energy the air has to pick up the moisture.

13. Gen 3 for me

Gen 3 for me Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Be happy with your results !!! Your posts and some others experience give me some belief the Prime will satisfy my need to drive short trips in the winter on EV alone as long as I don't use heat, defrost, etc. Not everyone's Prime seem to be as capable of operating without the ICE in cold weather as yours. I think you must have a stronger battery. Maybe your car was sold soon after arrival from Japan?

bisco likes this.
  14. Gen 3 for me

Gen 3 for me Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I am not an expert but my guess is that your ICE kicked on under the conditions you state when your traction battery got cold enough after leaving the warmth of your garage. If you charged the night before and the charge did not finish shortly before your departure the battery did not have the warmth left from the heating mode built into the end of the charging cycle.

kevin54 and priuscatprimeguy like this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i drove my pip 5.5 miles to test drive a prime. the pip stayed in ev all the way there, and all the way home. 11 miles r/t, got home with .3 miles left.
    the prime however, refused to stay in ev. every time i touched the accelerator, the engine would run for a few seconds. very frustrating.
    does the prime have an hsi bar like gen 3? couldn't find anything similar.

16. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's like a horse, it doesn't know you yet ;)

Was there maybe a temperature difference, i.e. was your PIP coming from a warm garage, the Prime at the dealer sitting out in the cold?

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, exactly. it was 30 degrees and sunny, they didn't charge the prime, just started the engine and let it sit until warmed up. i had to force charge to put 2 miles into it.

18. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Did you force charge in drive with gas pedal and brake or put it in charge mode?

19. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Other than EV not fully functioning, any other impressions? That's a unique perspective you get, hopping out of a PIP and getting into a Prime.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hit the highway, force charge at 55 mph, noticeable drop in power, i had to gas it to keep up.