1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ICE didn't stop running

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by iskoos, Dec 17, 2022.

1. iskoos

iskoos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Guys,

The other day while driving home from work (about 10-mile drive one way). I am more than half-way through and waiting on a traffic light. I realized the engine (ICE) didn't stop running. Battery was showing about 5-6 bars and the engine was warm. Outside temps were in mid 70s. That's what you get in December in FL.
    I remember something similar in the past and ignored it. A few miles later, I am on another stop. The engine is still running. The Energy monitor is showing no Green or Red arrows. That's the status you get when the ICE is not running, and the car is at a complete stop. I pressed the brake pedal a bit harder to see if that would help. It didn't.
    Traffic started moving and once I was close to my home in neighborhood roads (25-mhp zone), I pulled over and shut off the car. Yes, the engine was still running (probably never stopped running for the past 10-15 minutes). I waited for a minute and turned it back on. The engine stayed off. And the battery level indicator jumped to 8 bars. This would normally never happen in Florida roads. I was about 3/4 of a mile away from home and I got to my home on all electric. When I got home, I still had 7 bars on the battery.

The car overcharged the hybrid battery by refusing to stop the engine.

This never happened to me before. Any idea what might have caused it?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In hot weather, after a long drive, I’ve very occasionally noticed the engine not shutting off. Nothing near as extreme as your description though.

What’s the miles on it? Have you checked the hybrid battery fan? Maybe try Dr Prius phone app?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i suspect a partially/fully clogged egr circuit, but i could be wrong. i'm already having similar symptoms plus some infrequent low rpm stumbling at less than 30,000 miles

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Try cleaning throttle body?

5. iskoos

iskoos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the ideas. The car has 194k miles on it. I bought it in 2017 at 142k miles. And in 2018, I cleaned the EGR circuit. The EGR cooler was very bad but not entirely clogged after 7 years and 142k miles. I cleaned it so meticulously. I can't imagine it is getting clogged again. Would EGR circuit cause this type of behavior? I doubt. Throttle body? I removed and cleaned it the same time I cleaned the EGR system. Not sure what I can check on it with no code in the system.
    I wanted to focus on my deteriorating hybrid pack, but the pack is holding charge. It is getting weaker I can feel it, but it is still doing its job.

I cannot think of what might be causing this other than the computer system. ECM decides when to shut down the ICE. And when the conditions met, it sends the signal (probably cutting the ignition or stopping the injectors). The ICE cannot keep running if either the fuel flow or the ignition is cut. Clearly the vehicle's engine management system didn't shut off the ICE or it didn't see all the conditions were met to shut off the ICE. Really interesting.

I drove the car yesterday for 40 miles and it worked just fine.

bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sorry, I was responding to @bisco, bit of a hijack.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are times when the engine runs with a full battery to burn off excess charge

hill likes this.
  8. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    ???? I’m having trouble making sense of that statement. Can you please explain? What am I missing?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    which part? if the battery is full, the car uses the engine to dissipate energy

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Let me see if my understanding is correct: you are saying the fossil fueled engine runs to deplete the electrical energy stored in the battery. It would seem that the MG would engage to provide power to move the car instead of the fossil fuel engine running to move the car.
    That is the part I’m confused about: it seems backwards.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That makes sense. Engine runs more with depleted battery. @bisco had me sold though.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Now I’m not following you. It has been described here many times .
    It doesn’t burn gas, it uses the electricity to run the motor and spin the engine.
    Long down hills are common, but it can happen in other circumstances

13. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That would normally occur only after putting excess charge into the battery by descending a mountain while braking. That would be hard to do in Florida.

Doug McC likes this.
  14. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If any of the cells are weak, and don't want to charge or hold a charge, the engine will
    run to turn the generators to charge the battery. The computer(s) are loooking for a certain
    amperage/voltage and won't cut the engine until it reaches it.
    You might want to use the Prolong system. It worked for my battery.

Doug McC likes this.
  15. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    True, but the ICE isn’t running in this rare situation (especially in flatter terrain), the ICE is being used as an additional load, and isn’t used this way often or for very long.

16. iskoos

iskoos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi guys,

I have been away for a few days; just catching up with the replies. For those who suggest that my engine kept running to deplete the excess charge, this is not the case here. I experience that once in Atlanta after going downhill for a while and hitting 8 bars the engine refused to shut off.
    I wasn't at 8 bars when it happened here last week. It hit 8 bars after I recycled the power.

The idea (by ASRDogman) of it kept running to charge one of the weak blocks (out of the 14) could be possible. I have a Dr. Prius app. I used it in the past to monitor the battery blocks, but I didn't find it useful. The block voltages were fluctuating every second. You don't understand anything unless maybe you record the screen and watch it later. The other issue with it is the OBD II dongle. If you leave that thing there too long, it will interfere with the braking system and cause the yellow brake and exclamation mark to illuminate on the dash. This happened to me. I removed the dongle and never had the issue again in 3 years passed. This may not happen with every type/brand dongle but some of them causing it. There are reports of it on the forums.

After week of driving regularly, I didn't experience the issue again. But if it is a battery related, it will eventually happen again. And if it is a weak block, I can replace a pack or two and could possibly fix it. I have removed and replaced packs on friends Prius a few times. The last time I checked my hybrid packs was about two years ago. They were all about the same level. I didn't replace anything other than shuffling them.
    So, I still have the original hybrid battery packs at 195k miles. I know they aren't gonna last forever.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I will be turning 290,000 miles this or next week.
    Original hybrid battery. Used the Prolong system the first time last year
    and again about a month back.
    Eventually, We'll all need to replace the hybrid battery. I just have to keep mine
    going for 2 more year when the prices go back down.

18. iskoos

iskoos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I like the strategy ASR. That's what I am doing as well. Don't want to replace my car till the price goes back down to normal levels.
    What is the Prolong system?

19. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The prolong system is a charger, discharger, and wiring harness that will charge and discharge
    the hybrid battery in a 3 step process that rejuvinates it and balances it.
    Prolong Battery Systems | Hybrid Automotive California, USA

20. iskoos

iskoos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the link.

It looks good but kind of overpriced to me with around $400. I think one can DIY this thing for around $100 (if he had the knowledge of course.)
    I saw the other thread started by CatNinja. He came up with his own charging set up. Good info but there is no step-by-step instructions on how to build it.